Is it bad to field strip a 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Blackstone, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Blackstone

Blackstone New Member

I know what you all might be thinking, what a silly question right? Believe me, I feel silly asking it… The only reason I bring it up is because there is a guy at my gun club that is adamant that removing the slide to clean the gun causes much more ware to the gun than just cleaning it intact. The barrel and the feed ramp are the only things he cleans. I am thinking that the only way to properly clean it is to field strip it. When I go to the range I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds. By that time the gun is pretty dirty, I can’t imagine not striping it down to clean it.

What do you guys think?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The guy at the gun club is an idiot. Far more wear can occur from not cleaning lubing properly.

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

yep!!!!!!!

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YUP - Idiot is a fair discription;)

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not sure where the guy at the range gets his information but he is wrong. Guns are designed to be field stripped, cleaned and oiled. Not sure what he even means saying that taking down the slide and barrel leads to excessive wear.

6. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Military been field stripping the 1911 for 100 years, no wonder they killed so many enemy soldiers with them.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

He's not an idiot, he's just not a shooter!

He's lazy and shows no respect for the gun. (He probably want's Noboma to clean his gun for him.)

8. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Have to agree with canbrake hes just lazy. Although its guys like that who have trouble with there guns blame it on the gun then if your in the right place you can buy it cheap. I have bout 3 because someone has said its not working right or has problems. After spending a hour or better to find nothing wrong i was bery happy. Got 2 shot guns and a s&w revolver that way.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You are right, Slacker dude is wrong.
    Especially on a 1911. They do not like to be dry and will protest with malfunctions if neglect persists.
    More & more it seems that I read about how cleaning is bad for the barrel or damages the rifling or some such noise. I can't help but wonder if people who think cleaning guns is unnecessary or overrated take the same outlook to bathing and personal hygiene. Maybe they're the ones driving around with car windows that haven't been cleaned since they bought it.
    Edit: Don't forget, field stripping & cleaning is also an opportunity to inspect it and replace worn or damaged parts. Ask him how he replaces recoil springs. One can argue about interval, but eventually they do need it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hell I bought a Colt 70 series nickel plated 38 super for $50 LNIB cause the dummie could'nt get it to work with the 38 spl's he bought for it :p
    Course this was in the very late 70's :rolleyes:

11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

First of all, there is nothing in modern ammunition, nor in reloading components, that is harmful to the gun. There is some residue left in the bore along with some metal fouling or lead fouling.

But, in the air around you is dust, dirt, and grit that can, and does cause wear in left alone. Depending on the conditions determines how far you must go in gun cleaning. Me, I'm a revolver man, so I remove the cylinder and give all exposed surfaces a once-over then give my guns a heavy coat of oil. The oil I use is a 50/50 blend of automotive motor oil and Three-In-One machine oil. After a moment, I wipe down my gun until it feels dry to the touch.

Been doing this over fifty years, works for me.

Bob Wright

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Wow I guess there is one born every day

Absolutely right, he's definitely an idiot, why would you ever want to clean it without removing the slide:confused:

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'll go with idiot or lazy. either one is asking for problems from his 1911 by not field stripping and properly cleaning and lubing his pistol. does he think the slide doesn't move when it's fired? that puts more wear on it than removing it for a proper cleaning and lube. let him do it his way, you might be able to buy it cheap in the near future, when it doesn't work properly for him!

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

They have owner's manuals out there.

Every once in a while, the manuals should be read.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The reason that it takes 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg?

Being male, they will not ask for directions.

16. kycol

kycol New Member

Hey now I might not clean my windows or even my truck. But I clean my gun

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Your Range Commando is an Idiot. Be careful the counsel that you keep.:)

The only harm that can come from field striping your 1911 is the possibility of creating your own "idiot mark" on your gun.

This is recognizable as a cressent shaped scratch that arcs from the rear of the slidelock down toward the trigger on the port/left side of the gun.

It happen when folks new to the 1911 reassemble it and drag the mag catch portion along the frame while trying to snap it back into position.

Clean it well, lube it lightly, and try to avoid the Idiot mark.:D

Hmmm... How many of you are now pulling out your 1911's to check this?

Tack

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

Do you still have it?

19. jca1

jca1 New Member

If field stripping is bad...the detail strip I do to mine every six months or so must be really really bad.

My guess: His excuse for not knowing how to field strip his 1911 is that he's too smart to.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Tack, you know there's an app for that?

Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool

[​IMG].