Is it bad that I wish some of these things would happen ?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by purehavoc, Aug 1, 2013.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I wish my mobile devices were gone most days , including land line , mobile phone, Computers , automobiles and some other stuff would go away .
    I wish it would go primitive for about 5 + days so people would actually come to grips with what could very well happen and get them selves more prepared . I think a few days like this would bring people and neighborhoods together closer and learn how to help each other with their different skills and know how . Im not a huge prepper guy but Im prepared to take care of m family for a while , I dont have a bug out place, I dont have stuff stashed other places,no underground bunkers or facilities, .
    I once went to Minnesota on a 9 day primitive trip took enough food and water for a couple days and then had to live off of what I caught and trust me I ate alot of fish . I had a blast I never worried about not having food because I caught fish and turtles the whole time I was there . I had a canoe and that was my way around the lake to fish . Water was never a issues as I stayed next to a lake , it rained 3 of my 9 days , and yes after 3 solid days of down pour everything becomes wet . I still had a blast , and not a care in the world to be honest with you . I would like to go do it again some day and get back to what this world should really be like . My kids and grand kids will never experience some of that stuff as they were brought up in the electronics world . Where do the days go now ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I wish cellphones would disappear forever. People are entirely too tied up in being connected 24 hours a day. It's like people are too afraid to be alone with their thoughts for awhile.

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I wish..............

To bring back the days, when you talked to a jackass or mule he knew which way to turn....................:eek:;):D

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Wait for a serious hurricane, flood, or similar natural event; it's less fun when it isn't voluntary, especially in the Summer. Fans are an awesome sleep aid, strictly freakin awesome.

It's not my thoughts that bother me, it's the thoughts of the other voices in this head.
    ;)

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

OG , thats probably the bear behind you whispering your name :D

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Pfffft! Bears don't speak English. :rolleyes:

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yeah but you must understand bear because when they roar and charge Im thinking he must have said something about having dinner shortly

8. orangello

orangello New Member

[sound of mind blowing]

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I often wish we could go back to a simpler time. I am tied to my cell phone and laptop. I can't do business without them. People bother me 24/7. I even get customers calling me while I am on vacation. I tell them I am on vacation and they don't care. People are so selfish!

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is why I love camping.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I feel your pain. I was gone for a week in the mountains with my family enjoying a quiet cabin . Day 2 I had 5 texts from work and 3 missed calls from work.Day 4 more calls from employees that cant figure it out . IM ON VACATION !!!! I dont call anyone from work while they are on vacation but maybe I will start and see how they like it . If your stumped do your best to figure it out . Its not that hard , when I go to Vegas with my wife my phone is going to stay on my desk at work . I will not be disturbed next time .I should have just taken a few more days just to cover the disruptions

12. Rick1967

Hey Purehavoc. I am going on vacation next week. I sent an email to a college tennis coach to tell them that they had until tomorrow to get the contract for the hotel rooms for the team back to me. They actually asked if I would have my laptop with me. I told them I didn't think I would be able to use the wifi from the roller coasters. People never cease to amaze me.

13. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I often talk about getting rid of my cell phone. I miss being really independent, if my truck breaks down guess what? I figure it out like a man and press on! People are so pacified and they always have to have the instant gratification of their cell phone! Many times my phone is off and is left at home, also I have no cell service where I live! LOL

I would love to go primitive for a week or so, wait a minute I did last year when we lost power after a storm for almost two weeks! I had fun with it, made coffee in the percolator on the grill and read by oil lantern ( yeas I still use the old school oil lamps ). Sure we lost most of our food in the fridge, and it was in the 90s with 90 percent humidity but whatever I like the challenge.

I always feel more connected when that crap is turned off and it is just yourself and GOD out there. You can learn so much, yet it seems people want to learn from facebook and not the real world. :( Funny thing is I am in my late 20s, I just grew up without any money, never had tech stuff till I bought them my own and then never really felt like I needed them. Seems that junk just keeps you tied down and stressed.

I prefer peace of mind to a data plan any day!

14. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

It's your own fault. You own the phone, not the tuther way round, shut the damn thing off, you're on vacation. The things have an insidious way of working on your conscience that you have to answer them. I am at an advantage though, being that I am retired, but I own the phone, it don't own me. Drove my wife crazy when I stopped answering the phone, but she got used to it. She bought me a cell phone, but it's been in the desk drawer since it got home because I don't care to learn how to run it. Labor saving devices should not be snapping at your a$$ , trying to own your leisure Time. But that' just me.

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

Be careful what you wish for. At some point down the road, somebody will pop an EMP device and we'll all get to find out what life was like when the Pilgrims landed.

16. Rick1967

I hate my phone. I have received phone calls and texts everyday so far on my vacation. I got a call at 2:30 am to ask me what to do about a printer that was out of toner. My reply? There are three computers with printers at the front desk. Use one of the other ones until the day shift gets there to fix it!!!!

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. The voices in my head say some scary sh!t from time to time. It's even more fun when they start fighting with each other! :D

Reminds me of when I was in the hospital about 8 years back. I had gangrene and the start of blood poisoning, lost half of my left foot as a result. I was sent up to ECMC in Buffalo after a week in the local hospital.

Now, I'm an hour away, I was ordered to go to the hospital by my boss, and he know what my status was. I was hooked up to an IV and a wound vac, recovering, and I still was getting at least 3 phone calls a week asking me how to do the shut down procedure for the POS machines and the gas islands out at the pump house. I am in the freakin' hospital recovering from an amputation, doped to the gills, an hour away, and I am getting asked to fix a problem caused by one of the managers not making sure that the closing crew knows how to shut the system down for the night? Give me a d@mn break!

Cell phones have an on\off button and caller ID. If the phone is on, i check the caller ID before answering it. Most of the time, I just leave the d@mn thing off. Much easier that way.

18. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Be careful what you wish for.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You know, it's not hard to turn the cell of, unplug a land line (I don't even have one of these..Cell only), and step away form the computer(s). Maybe it's just living in the sticks but I see it as a non issue. I get tired of it they just go away.
    With the exception of this forum I don't look at anything on the net for weeks at a time and even that can be too much and I have to take a hiatus (again).

It's as easy as leaving the cell in the house and going outside. Tech devices are only as important as you make them. Some how we got business done without many modern devices. Even with the cell in your pocket you have to choose to answer the call or text. How you choose is how important the device is to you. People are always asking me why I don't answer my phone or why it might take a week to reply to a text. It's simply because I didn't feel like it. If they really needed me and it was important they would be in my driveway.
    But I do live in the country and I do not like to be bothered when I'm out and about. I like to fish in the warm months and will never take a phone with me most times. When I do it's because I have a ton of music stored no it and I've put in ear buds and am jamming while ripping lips. Not much is more fun than catching a big bass while listening to some good music. And ear buds keep things nice and quiet around you;) And I have no use for a cell when I'm shooting. And I like to shoot a lot!

No one needs to be reachable 24/7. It you are a business owner then you hire bad people that can not think or act for themselves. Hire better people, that is no ones fault than your own. If you work for someone that can't seem to get get by without you then tell your incompetent employer to stop hiring other incompetents. You don't get the others pay checks. You should not be doing their jobs. If your job requires you to be tethered to tech..Well..You took the job. Stop looking so forlorn. Create your freedom or not. But if it's allowed to continue then the fault lies with those that are chained. Not the chain itself.

20. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I just can't understand why people feel a need to be attached to their devices? I do love the internet because I have instant access to so much information and I'm always curios about how various things are connected, but I can get by without it. In fact I just did for a couple of months. Cell phones are handy if I need to call someone, but my cell phone is for if I need something. I don't have it in case everyone else needs something. As for Facebook and all that other junk, get a life. Go outside and plant a garden, shoot and clean a squirrel, build something, catch a fish. Do something real and enjoy living! And no you don't need to take picture and post it for any of that just to prove to everyone that you do have a life. :)