Is everybody smoking crack out there?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Mar 9, 2014.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I've mentioned that I keep track of three of four local gun sell/trade webpages in my area, but the past couple of weeks I've felt the "fever" come on me again, and have been scanning them two or three times a day. I don't know what I'm looking for; I'll know it when I see it.

But whatever I wind up buying will have to be a "deal" of some kind. I don't expect to buy anything dirt cheap, but I don't really NEED anything, and can wait until the right gun at the right price comes up.

But lately . . . Jesus. I think everyone is trying to unload some of the guns they bought at the artificially high prices a few months ago, and are trying to get 100% -- or more-- of the inflated price they paid for it. Well, the AR's have come down, but I'm not really looking for one.

And the ones wanting to trade are even worse. The people making the offers are either ignorant of relative gun values, or think I am. Offer's like "Hi Point .45 will trade for a Kimber 1911" or " Have Mossberg 500 self defense shotgun, will trade for AR-15". Yeah. I'd like to make that trade too.

Okay. I admit that when it comes to gun prices, I'm behind the times. But . . . $500 for a scuffed up Smith Model 10? I paid $230 for mine about five years ago. $650 for a used Model 19? I paid $275.00 for one at about the same time. $500 for a used, New Model Blackhawk? I think mine was about $280.

Okay, I know I'm not gonna see those kind of prices again. But still . . . I see Model 29's going for over $1000! WTF? A Makarov for $600.00 -- a few years ago, when they first came on the market, you couldn't GIVE me one.

I would surely hate to be starting a collection today.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Such seller often dreams of a buyer as crazy as he is. And guess what, even the blind pig finds an acorn once in a while :D

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I know what you mean. A S&W 19 just jumped to the top of my list, and most are seen at $550-650.

Depending on the dash and condition that may be the book value of one, but an 75% 19-3??? I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

See it all the time here. Used Taurus PT1911's for $750-$800, Blued models without rail, Mosin's for $250-$350 we're talking Izhevsk Round Receiver's, one's I can buy for $100-$175..

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I see a lot of that around here, too.

Sometimes you find the proverbial "pearl in the pile".

Patience, diligence, and persistence does pay off.

The whole problem is that there is a feeding frenzy

of nitwits out there with more money than sense,

who are willing to pay those insane prices.

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I just saw a Star 1922 in the oddball 9mm largo cartridge for "$450.00 firm". Now, I've owned a couple of Star automatics -- a .45 and a 9mm, and found them to be sturdy guns. I kinda like 'em. But there's no way that's a $450.00 gun.

There days some seem to think that ANYTHING that fires a bullet has to be a treasure.
    "

Oh . . . and I see them selling things like "15 rounds of used .308 brass" . . . are things THAT BAD that we have to buy brass five or ten at a time?

7. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

It isn't just the firearm sales that are like that, go check the JEEP and International (not as bad as JEEP but bad enough) For Sale sites, everyone thinks their JEEP or IH is a rare and highly valuable vehicle.

8. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Supply and Demand, play a big part of what a firearm will sell for. Even the LGS and large retail stores play this game often with higher than MSRP prices on hard to get guns or guns that are in short supply on the market. Yes, you can have the store order one at MSRP from a distributor, but may have to wait 6 to 18 months for it to come in.

Is it right, that might be a matter of opinion. If you are the seller than you think it is right, if you are the buyer you might think it is over priced. Either way neither is right or wrong, just what they think the product is worth.

As an example, several years ago I purchased a Taurus PT-140 for $350.00 from Cabela's here in Illinois on sale. Then about 3 weeks after that I went to the same store and they had 2 of the same pistols USED on display for $399.95. Which was the MSRP for that gun as new. How they thought that someone would pay more for a used one than a new one, I did not understand. But that was a large retailer and could ask whatever price they wanted. So I would not be surprised to see what we may consider inflated prices on guns from the general selling public.

Along the same lines I purchased a CZ-75 P-01 that they were selling for $25.00 over MSRP for that pistol, I was lucky to get them to reduce the price to the MSRP. But if I was to sell it today I would ask $200.00 over what I paid for it. (it is in near unused condition 99%) You might bulk at that price or you could wait almost 2 years for one to come in from CZ (through Eagle Sales).

That is called a "Time Value Cost" for the excess price. Meaning that getting it sooner than latter is worth the extra cost of the product. To a CZ fan that might just be worth it for them to have one. The same thing happened during the most recent Black Gun scare, but now that supplies are back to where they should be the prices are coming down dramatically, even lower than where they were before the scare.

You spin the wheel and see where the little ball falls, that is why they call it roulette.
    Jim

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

No different than gold, when people want and supplies are short, prices soar. If the market gets flooded, they drop like a rock. One mans loss is another mans gain. The fact that the US and State governments have been so interested in classifying them good or bad has put a whole new spin on the volatility and availability. Buy low and sell high is the same goal in any investment guns or gold, buying today at market highs is not wise...

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Maybe they ARE smoking crack. That would explain the high prices for the firearms. I do believe crack is an expensive addiction. :p

11. Donn

Donn Active Member

"The Fever" is a tough condition to deal with. It was tougher for me when I was working and always had disposable income. Not having that luxury these days makes it a lot easier to walk away. And, my modest collection is pretty much complete. If I'm never able to add to it, I'm OK with that.

12. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

A few years ago, the Washington Daily Worker---'scuse me----The Washington Compost---well, The " Red Rag " reported that gun sales were flat, that efforts to market to women had failed, that the market ( white males ) was saturated . It made sense to me because here we have a product that can last forever, that many people live without , and that most people could get by owning only one of .

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I paid right at $500 for a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible NIB two years ago. @ $280 the last time you priced a NIB Blackhawk, Atari was high tech.

14. TennTrucker

TennTrucker New Member

WOW, really? My son picked up a very nice one other day for $350, and I thought it was $50 to much. But I'm not a wheel gun person and am a self proclaimed deal hunter, which my son refers to as just cheap.........:D

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Firearms Talk mobile app