Is dry firing O.K.?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Diddle, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Diddle

Diddle New Member

I have heard some people say dry firing is okay and others say if bad for the pin. So which is it? I was going to practice rapid fire but don't want to mess it up.

2. Squawk

Squawk New Member

What kind of gun?

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Most modern guns are fine but when in doubt read the manual, call the manufacturer, don't dry fire, or by some snap caps.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A dry fire is part of the functions check with the M16/Ar-15 family.

5. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I heard its bad to keep doing it to hammer fired guns but not striker fire. So glocks, m&ps, xds, ect. Are OK. To my knowledge.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Guns with an enlarged prostate are lucky to even dry fire.

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it a lot. functiosn check or not.

Honestly i try to avoid it.
    but it <is> part in basic tng to train yourself to shoot well.
    Dime on the barrel.
    Pull the trigger for dry fire making sure it doesnt budge or even fall.

but it snot something I would do on my own rifle.

On my Rugers Revolvers its a non issue.
    I must have dry fired my GP100 thousands of times as part of my target aquistion tng in front of the TV :)

8. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

a good 90% of the time this will mostly refer to rimfire weapons as the firing pin will hit the barrel,, most modern centerfire weapons can not be harmed this way. if they could they would have to be built so shotty they wouldnt hold up to more than a few rounds being fired

the parts of any firearm that come in contact with the cartridge have to be able to handle the forces that cartridge will exert

9. Diddle

Diddle New Member

The gun is a Rossi model 62 octagon barrel .22

10. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

you should never fire a rim fire firearm,, open the chamber and look to the top of the barrel just where the cartridge goes into the chamber of the barrel and you will see if its ever been dry fired there will be a mark there from it,, this over time will ware out your firing pin and damage that part of your barrel

didnt read it but look at the pic on here to see what im talking about

http://www.indianashooter.com/firearm-technical-information/3624-dry-firing.html

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Way I see it is snap caps are cheap so I just don't see a reason to do it. It's liek cheap insurance. But a lot of my stuff is older and I don't want to take the chance too. If the manual says it's fine the go ahead I guess. At least ten if something happens there's a warrantee claim.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Rimfires - No
    Revolvers (non rimfire)- should use snap caps, but can be done without.
    Striker fire pistols (non rimfire) - has to be dry fired (without cap) to be disassembled.
    Others (non rimfire) - should use cap, but can be done without.

Rule of thumb is if you can easily replace firing pin (if needed), then "Should use cap, but can be done without moderately".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  13. Diddle

Diddle New Member

Thank you very much!

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Actually it just depends on the rimfire model. Newer Ruger rimfires are okay to dry fire as an example.

15. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

would love to see proof of that and photo's of how thats possible

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

According to Ruger's website their 22's such as the Mark III have a firing pin stop which prevents the pin from contacting the rear of the barrel, however if done excessively it will cause the pin stop to bend therefore allowing contact with the barrel. This is explained in the FAQ section of the website. According to this all rifles, shotguns, revolvers, and auto pistols made by Ruger can be dry fired.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q27

17. Garadex

Garadex New Member

What he said.

18. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I have an original engraved Winchester Model 62 and would never dry fire it, cause that's just looking for trouble.
    [​IMG]

19. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I was told not to dry fire any center fire pistol that has a magazine safety. If the gun will not fire without a magazine, when you dry fire without the mag, the striker will go forwared and strike the block. Which like the 22 can damage the striker over time.

I was not told that by Ruger, but my SR9c's manual says not to dry fire the gun.

20. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

If that is the case then Ruger should amend their website so someone doesn't get misinformation, they clearly state all pistols can be dryfired, clearly this isn't the case if your book states otherwise.