Is cocked really all the way cocked?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jutgin, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jutgin

jutgin New Member

Hi all, new to the forum.
    Curious about the position of the firing pin when I have a round chambered, I've heard it's an intermediate position that will not allow it to go off if dropped and that pulling the trigger fully cocks then releases the firing pin?
    Correct?
    By the way I have a Taurus PT140 but I am also curious about the Springfield xd40.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

You are describing the common "half-cock" feature that most striker fired semi-automatics have when a round is chambered.

I am not sure if the Taurus lineup has this feature, but other brands such as the Springfield XD, Glock, and Smith and Wesson M&P have this feature (just to name a few). The purpose is to allow reasonable safe carry in condition 1 while utilizing a slightly lighter trigger pull (some striker fired weapons are known for having horrible trigger pulls).

3. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Are you sure about the XD having the half cock feature?

I thought half cocked was only used with the weapons with exposed hammers (off the top of my head I can only think of the M-9) where when you're first pulling the trigger and stop mid pull the hammer doesn't return all the way forward.

Then again, I could be thinking of the wrong feature.