Is Century International Arms a good place to get an AK?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by GratefulHead77, Jul 20, 2011.

1. GratefulHead77

GratefulHead77 New Member

I am in the market for an AK and came across Century Arms, any recommendations, comments, or reviews about them would be helpful. I checked out cheaper than dirt and found them on there, still not sure of another brand to go with, cuz I am just getting into the whole AK idea... Suggestions???

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I own a Century Arms AK74 and I love it.

3. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

If any AK has most of its parts, it will work most of the time regardless of what's done to it.
    Got three from century and all run fine.
    These things are very hard to screw up.
    Just make sure it takes regular mags, not one of those 10 round things that won't accept normal 30 round mags.

4. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

AK's and their variants are almost impossible to screw up if assembled correctly.......that being said........if somebody can screw it up its Century...

5. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Century Arms is known for their manufacturing screw ups. I've seen more than my share and I own two guns with the two main ones. That being said, the guns still go bang every time I pull the trigger and can still hit a target if you know how to fix or better yet avoid the problems.
    For an AK variant from Century, look for a canted front sight assembly first off. That's the most irritating but fixable thing for these AKs. It better be a damn good deal if you buy one with the canted sight because you're going to have to replace it more than likely.
    The less drastic problem with these rifles is the hammer rides just a bit high in the reciever which can get the bolt to stay back every now and then when you're cycling it by hand.
    Of course check to make sure it cycles smoothly enough to make sure something like the gas-tube isnt binding.

My suggestion, dont buy one unless you can handle it yourself.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. GratefulHead77

Thanx for the input, is Century known for building their rifle parts together (milled or pinned)?? Is there any other reputable makers of AK that are in the same price range or cheaper??? My father used to be an FFL and said he was getting AKs back in the 90's for $79.99 Chinese, Yugo, Romo, and Norinco... I wonder if they can still be found in that price range... I would like to find a nice reliable AK for less than $250 if that is possible these days???

7. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Century Arms has developed a bullpup designed AK-74. I saw it on the cover of Special Weapons for Military & Police Magazine. The cost is under $1000 (do not quote me on that),and it is a sick looking weapon worth buying.

8. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I don't think you'll ever see those prices again. :(

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Call noboma and ask him where the $79.99 AK's have gone? :confused:

10. GratefulHead77

I agree that those prices are no longer available, but it sure would be nice...
    Anyways any other suggestions for AK makers that are in the less the $400 range???

I was reffering to the build of CIA's rifles, are they milled and assembled like a real AK, or pinned together like a piece of junk and still charge $500 for one???

11. sburke

sburke New Member

I purchased an Ak 47 WASR 10 from Century Arms 2 weeks ago because it was around the price range I wanted 400-500. I am happy overall with my purchase. The stock might be a little bit dirty, but you can clean it pretty easy or you can refinish the wood. Very east to do and it will make you gun look 10X better. Also I have had no problems shooting it. I have put over 400 rounds and no mis-fire yet using the mags that came with it and a couple TAPCO mags. I am also using ****ty steel casing TulAmmo. If you do get AK I would suggest getting rid of the "Sheppards hook" and buying a "tapco retaining plate." Also buy the "recoil buffer." Cheap upgrades. I also purchased a replacement butt-pad that added 1" of pad because the steel one that came with it was kinda crappy. I have read that Century arms is hit and miss, but mine was a def hit.

4/5 stars because the gun was pretty dirty, but that is to be expected I guess.

Hope this helps.

SBurke

12. coguns

coguns New Member

M10

Colorado gun sales has a new ak all new parts $500

13. Laufer

Laufer New Member

GratefulHead:
    I'm happy for those who have very good results with Century, but many did not.
    You might want to read the description of a Polish Tantal AK-74 bought from Century by "Sturmgewehre" months ago. He might still be found on Google.

Century was quite aware that many of the barrels had bores for the 5.56, not the smaller 5.45. The bullets 'keyholed' at 100 yards.
    "Sturmgewehre"s comments made me quite glad that my resolve to avoid their often very troublesome CETMEs also will keep me from ever considering a Century semi-auto rifle, no matter what type or caliber.
    Why gamble with my money?

In the starkest contrast to the serious issues with a large number of Century semi-auto guns, my decision to buy an M-1 Garand from the CMP was the best gun decision I ever made.

Did you guys know that Century's customer warranty-so to speak-begins when a gun is shipped from their location. Some of the warranty period will run out as it sits in a store, waiting for an unwary customer....
    Somehow, US Consumer Protection laws allow this, unless their policy has changed.

What honest business with high-quality, reliable products would choose/need to operate this way? Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Laufer as well. Unless you know what you're getting into, the money you save on these Century rifles is burned up in the little repairs you have to make to bring them up to proper standards. Unless you're a gambler, spend a few extra bucks and get a properly built - and warrantied - weapon you can shoot and be proud of straight out of the box!

15. GratefulHead77

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I've swayed my decision to pass on the AK altogether and will be getting a Stag Arms AR-15 instead.

16. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Good man, stay away from those rusty Russian can openers....... :)

17. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I did a little review of my WASR 10/63UF

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJUfUJGPp_0]‪WASR-10UF AK 47 (Review)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I have a few of the "Russian" can openers, They've got about a 5,000-7,000 headstart on the round count and 7 years of carry time on my AR-15s. They will still be opening cans long after my ARs have been buried. :)

19. GratefulHead77

I decided to go with a Saiga 223

Attached Files: