Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by TexasBear, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

I'm new to concealed carrying and wanted to know if having the extra mags is worth carrying?

I have grown up around guns and a great shot. I understand in a draw and shoot situation that ammo goes faster than expected but is an extra mag really going to help at that moment? I'm going to carry a glock 19 gen 4 which is 15+1. My thought on it is if I need more than that then this situation is how many am I taking with me. I understand the principle of "well u might need it," but in that case I should just carry my AR around.

Is it necessary or just preference?

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

somewhere along the line I have read that the average number of shots fired in a shootout not involving law enforcement is 3 shots. Not sure if that is a grand total of shots fired bay all shooters or what. 16 should be plenty IMO, just practice practice practice your marksmanship. Then again I live in CA and can't get a CCW because of the politics.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Every now and then Vikingdad and I agree on something. :)

4. spack762

spack762 New Member

I've read an after action report were three men where ambushed by 10 to 17 guys. Two of the three men where killed at the start. The suviver returned fire. 17rnds later the bad guys where left. He cut them down with his knife when they charged him.

I can dig up the refracens. Trying not sound like a jerk, but why limit your self? I carry two reloads, knife or two and a flashlight. Sometimes a seconed gun. If I could carry my AK instead i would! But I can't, I carry what I can and practice. I'm a good shoot too, but how good are you when the bad guys shoot back, or first.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
    If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Local conceal carry guy unloaded 9 rounds of his 45 stopping an active shooter in a restaurant. Definitely is making me think about how I'm not even carrying a full magazine in my EDC.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I normally only carry what is in the gun. Which is often 5 or 6 rounds. But if I am going somewhere that there is a crowd and I could be trapped I carry my 1911 with an extra mag. I hope to never be in church when someone opens fire. But if I am, I dont want to have to fire 35 yards with a pocket pistol. The theatre shooting in Aurora has me thinking a little differenty than I used to. I have not been to the movies since. I am not afraid to go. It just doesnt seem like any fun right now. Havent even bothered to see Skyfall yet. I am also sick of spending $45 to go to the movies!

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I honestly think some shud stop watching movies anyways :eek:

9. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I never carry an extra magazine. I am confident enough in my shooting abilities that I won't need it.

10. Rick1967

I am not concerned about my shooting abilities. I can hold my own with the best of them. I think of being trapped in a situation with an active shooter. The nutcase in Aurora had body armor on.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I vote no.

We all gotta die sometime, and I feel

it would be too much ag hauling around

extra mags. Practicality becomes the issue.

IMO, if I can't get it done with what's

in the gun, at least it was a nice try.

Think about it, light, knife, gun, etc,etc,etc,

where does it all end? Hand grenades?

12. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

You could never carry enough ammo or weapons to be prepared for every possible situation that life "could" throw at you.

13. Rick1967

I understand what you are saying. 90% of the time I carry a pocket gun without a reload. But at church, I carry a 1911 with a reload. Church shootings have been a serious issue for a few years now.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree- many could replace the paranoia they carry around with a few xtra mags tho :cool:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I always plan for my next PD incident. That way I will have one more round than needed. [​IMG]

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You should also carry a big canteen first aid kit and 3 days worth of MREs. You just never know. :rolleyes:

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats especialy true for the spectators who watch all the gun battles i hear about about to happen around here :)

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Damn good point. The crime rate should be down. There is a 100 BGs a day killed around here.:D:D:D

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Nuthin like watchin a gunfight to work up the hunger factor :)

20. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Since Aurora I carry an extra 13 round mag although I think if i even have to use all 13 rounds in the gun already
    then I am in some really deep doo doo! I wear cargo pants so no huge deal anyway.