Is camoflauge needed?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Doug1627, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Hello,

Deer season is just around the corner. I will be hunting whitetail in Missouri. Blaze orange is a requirement while hunting in MO. Since I will be wearing an orange vest and hat will camo pants and sleeves give me an advantage versus tan legs and black sleeves?

2. Big-Kid

Big-Kid New Member

I pretty sure it matters. Even though deer and elk etc. can only see black and white the pattern on camo sleeves and pants still show up. But in black and white color. I also had the same question last year but I just kinda figured it out my self. I wish someone made a camo pattern but a blazing orange color.

Lance,

3. sinzitu

sinzitu New Member

They do make it. Take a look at Cabela's site. There are others a s well.

4. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

I want to know how the government ever found out that deer only see in black and white.

5. Catfish

Catfish New Member

If your gun hunting wear all the orange you have. My wife has an uncle that wears orange coveralls you can see 2 miles away. I have seen him stand in an open field leaning against a corner post to mark property boundaries with no cover within a 1/4 mile of him and have deer run within 20 yrds. of. him. I`ll swear those coveralls he wears have a deer magnet in them.

6. Big-Kid

Big-Kid New Member

Down here in Utah the fish and game people do some stupid stuff. Like when they sell a lot of deer tags they fly over the area with a helicopter and tries to push them into the private land. I hate it.

7. cbw

cbw New Member

What do you think they do with all out tax money? ;)

8. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Thanks for the tips big kid and catfish!

9. metal408

metal408 New Member

This is the smartest thing I've read in a while. Lets all take a minute and look back on the Dick Chaney incident.
    Ok now the your back DEER are animals, very interested an curious. Many deer or other animals will see such bright colors or other intriguing things are are drawn too them for a closer look. Loud noise sudden movments and things of that sort are what spook them.

" Imagine your a deer and your leaning in to take a drink from the pond on a pieceful day. and then all of a sudden BAM! A bullet rips of half of your face. Now tell me, would you care what color pants the mother ****er that shot you was wearing!?!?"
    -Mona Lisa Vito
    (From the movie My cousin Vinnie)

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Nope, the first deer I killed I shot sitting on a flat rock, on the ground, in a clearing on the edge of an old logging road. It was almost noon and I was hungry and cold and headed back to the house. I had a long walk ahead of me and had sat down on the rock about halfway up the hill (still had 200 yards to the top of the hill). I heard something to my left and turned just in time to see a large doe walking downhill from me. I waited till she went behind an oak tree, raised my shotgun and when she came out from behind the tree, I fired. I hit her spine, and clipped one of her lungs. She ran about 30 yards and died.

Oh, forgot to say. I was wearing tattered work coveralls with manual tranny fluid on them and wearing an orange hat.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  11. ghostndawoodz

ghostndawoodz New Member

Camo is definatly needed man it breaks up patterns say a light brown with green and other colors well that breaks up your image not just a big bright orange...(proven deer can see UV light therefore hunter orange may be seen)...so ya always wear camo...

12. metal408

metal408 New Member

hahaha manual tranny fluid spots is all the camo you need.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Camo is NOT needed when hunting with gun. Any clothing that's of dull/dark color will allow you to blend in. The ONLY time I wear camo is when bowhunting, for turkey, or (god forbid) man.

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

My usual garb is jeans and a sweatshirt. I've never seen the need for camouflage and hunt far enough away from civilization that I'm not worried about being shot by other hunters that I may run into in the woods.

15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I never wear camo. I don't usually get to hunt but three or four times a year but I always get at least one deer. I've been four times this year and have gotten two deer and missed getting a shot at one. Hopefully I'll get another chance to go before season ends. I will say the one I didn't get must have known something was out of place because he never looked away from me. He kept tilting his head this way and that like a puppy does when you make funny noises. He finally went back into the woods.

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Deer can see uv light. I use a detergent that does not have uv brighteners. Heck, I've killed deer after I put down my cigarette so I could raise my gun. I think it is what ever makes you comfortable and confident.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Likewise. Actually I think they're attracted to the smoke. Turkeys are supposed to be so dang smart but last year I was walking back to the truck after an unsuccessful deer hunt and sat next to a pine tree to take a break and get a smoke. Here come six turkeys easin on down the lane with the wind blowin my smoke and scent right to them. They never knew I was there til they got about 20 ft. away and I said BOO. One of the funniest things I've seen while hunting was watching those turkeys trying to get the hell out of Dodge.:D

18. biff44

biff44 New Member

deer flip out when they recognize a human. They mostly recognize a human by seeing his hands or face. If you have some camo gloves, and some sort of mesh face cover, you are doing pretty well. Just stay still when they are looking at you, they can see movement very well.

And that is true about UV detergent!

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It all depends on what your hunting. Coyotes see different that you and deer see different that yotes.

Predator Extreme did a series of articles called The Eyes Have it.

Some of the most expensive camo in the world made you stick out like a straight guy in a gay bar.

All this new High Definition Camo is just hype made to make you feel like you are not seen. When in fact it doesn't help you at all. The best camo in the world is your mind. You want to break up your outline ok to big patches or colors work better than a bunch of small ones. Like the new digital camo the military is using may work in the desert but you will look like a big tan blob in a forested area. I still believe the best camo is the simple woodland camo from the military. Just like if you are painting your face you want to use light colors in low areas and dark colors in the high areas. So tan around your eyes and black on your cheeks. What this does is create an optical illusion that will make your face look distorted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  20. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Aluminum gimp ought to know best. :p