Is Biodegradable Oil Good For Your Gun?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Mercator, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:07 PM.

1. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I’ve had several semi-auto pistols malfunction on the first mag after being unfired for a few months. Then they worked fine. All cleaned and lubed as usual, except that I’ve been using biodegradable gun oil.

Anyone experienced the difference? Does it get sticky or —?

2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

never had something like that happen to mine, it was months and months since I fired a pistol that was in my safe. I just lubed it up with CLP went to the range and it performed without a hiccup from the first mag

3. Mercator

Nothing wrong with petroleum lube. I just use Slip2000 cleaner and degreaser, they are good, so decided to try the oil.

4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Is biodegradable synonymous with vegetable?

5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

The best gun oil ever developed used to be sold under the Smith and Wesson brand name.
    Then suddenly it couldn't be found . Many a older gun owner has searched high and low for it.
    It resurfaced recently under the Bushmaster brand as their lubricant and protectant.
    Cant go wrong with it.

Biodegradable gun lubes breakdown.
    Just like biodegradable anything else.

bluez and PeeJay1313 like this.
  6. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't wish for my oil to break down... Do you??

Wambli and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Bingo. I use Mobil 1 when I need oil and high quality/high temp bearing grease on rails and carry guns. No failures, period.

bluez likes this.
  8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Mercator, I am not sure if you mean this:
    https://superzilla.us/product-category/gunzilla/

Its plant based but definitely not biodegradabale.

I use it as a cleaner only not a lube.

IMO Gunzilla functions primarily as a cleaner and not a lube.
    Its the opposite of the military CLP which is not much of a cleaner but more of a lube.

IMO gunzilla is one of the best cleaning products out there.
    Seems safer for a lot of finishes but cleans quite well and without the atrocious smells in inherent in some other cleaners.

My routine is to use a Cleaner (Gunzilla) to clean and a Lube (motor oil for AR15s, remoil for handguns) to lube...
    If a product is advertised as doing both it still usually only does one of the two well.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:25 AM
    Ghost1958, Mercator and Wambli like this.
  9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Uncertain whether the lube might be an issue, but here's a basic step I've always done when bringing an old sidearm out of hibernation: unload the mags, wipe a rag over them, then reload; and, cycle a few rounds through the gun before attempting to fire. If it's been a year, I've generally emptied it of ammo, lubed, then started shooting.

Anecdotal, of course, but I can't recall ever having "hibernation" woes with reliability on the first mag load.

Might be the lub just stuck a little bit. Though it's hard to know whether it's due to a "bio-degradable" variant.

That said, fresh is good. Freshly cleaned, freshly/lightly lubed. Might be worth altering the procedure for bringing long-sitting arms into use. Might help.

bluez and Mercator like this.
  10. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I have been using Slip2000 EWL for several years now. Guns run great all the time, whether they have been sitting a while or not. It has been great lube for me. I use their grease on semi slides too, and have found the EWL 30 to work great on the BCG of my AR’s.
    I have pulled guns out after more than a year and found the lube has never dried, though it does penetrate. The grease never dries up either for me.

Mercator likes this.
  11. Mercator

I only noticed it with the handguns. Rifles run fine.

Could be coincidental. I’ll be using regular oil for a while, we’ll see.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  12. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I do use biodegradable oil for a case lube when reloading. Olive oil to be exact. But for guns i like synthetic motor oil.

13. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

All oils break down or evaporate. Frequent cleaning & lubing is a must. If you store your gun in a warm or damp place clean & lube more frequently.

Mercator and G66enigma like this.
  14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As the Warrior advised Slip 2000 is an excellent lubricant.
    But there are others that I like as well.
    They are G-96 which is fantastic and when I was with the weapon manufacturer we used it exclusively on all the new ARs going out the door. And I would spray the Bolt Carriers down with it on the Auto ARs and the guns would run all day during the grueling tests and demos we conducted.
    Another is good old Break Free! But one must shake it up if it sets for a while. Since it will separate but a little shaking and it is good to go. The other one that doesn't smell so good is, One Quart of Mobile #1 Synthetic Motor Oil 15W50 and I use 1/2 Quart of Mobile #1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid to thin the Oil out a little. And also helps with carbon not collecting. I Mix the two in radio control Gas Container. Then when used I pour some of it in one of those Beauty Shop Squeeze Bottles like they apply hair coloring. Works great!
    It make a whole Quart and a half of excellent lube. And is much less expensive than if you had to buy a quart and a half of other gun lubricants! And also it will not bake off if the gun gets real hot. nor will G-96. Great for ARs.:)

But in closing, my question would be using biodegradable lubricant. Will it bake of or get gummy over time? And of course does temperatures have any effect on it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    G66enigma, bluez and Mercator like this.
  16. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I like Mobile 1 synthetic too, but for me the Slip 2000 has worked great. There is a lot of good stuff out there, each of us has to find what we like and works best for us. I do tend to apply a bit of lube to a gun that has sat for months before I shoot it...but I have been told I am a bit anal when it comes to my guns too...:eek:

Sniper03 likes this.
  17. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

One more thing.. An advantage of motor of as a storage lube is , its so cheap.. Even mobil one is relatively cheap because motor oil gives u such large containers..
    So when storing a weapon for a while one can be very generous with the oil everywhere on the gun .

18. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Automotive lubricating oils have cancer-causing benzene's in them. That's wrong enough for me not to use them.

I lube my guns with Starrett Light Mineral Oil.

I don't necessarily think it's this wonder oil but it's what I have and it works

19. Mercator

Perhaps possibly maybe if you spray it. A drop from a needle point dispenser, I can’t see how it is dangerous. Even the California warning label is based on animal studies, not clinical.

20. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Benzene is all over the place as Naphtha, the main ingredient in Ronsonol lighter fluid for Zippo type lighters. It’s also a great cleaner to remove tar and other like substances. It’s also in all sorts of lubricating light oils. I put my Mobil 1 in a small bottle with a thin metal needle type dispensing tip for accurate application. I don’t like oily guns. You can buy those squeeze bottles on eBay or Amazon for just a few dollars.

Sniper03 likes this.