Is an FFL license worth it?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cddbrowns, Jan 26, 2011.

1. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Dont know much about em, how much they cost to keep and all that. Seems the savings is pretty good, but whats the draw back?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Unless you have a store front I don't think you can get a regular ffl anymore.

It also depends on your local as well. If your area is not zoned to support a business then a home based FFL will get you in trouble.

A C&R FFL has it's perks.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You cannot get one to buy cheap stuff for yourself - you must actually deal guns and make sales...

4. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Oh, I thought it was something that a lot of people got, although I have thought about doing the whole AR thing. Building and selling. With how I do it, and the demand at least around here, I would have some pretty nice stuff as far as trade. LOL!

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

You may be confusing the class 1 with the class 3 Curio and Relics license. What the C&R allows you to do is buy certain firearms without using a class 1 dealer. See this link for more info....

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are doing any work on someone else's firearms, I would recommend getting one.
    And liability insurance,
    and store front or gunsmith shop, and
    Tax id, business license, etc...

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If you wanna sell guns it's a great idea.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It also gets you "Dealer Pricing" at most places like Brownells and MidwayUSA.

Mine paid for itself in about three orders!

9. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Yeah, wasnt thinking about selling, have heard of some people getting them to take out the middle man aspect. Didnt know it involved all of that. No worries.

10. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

THANKS! That must be what I was hearing, and not the FFL. Much appreciated!

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are several DIFFERENT FFLS. An 01 is a Dealer, 02 pawnshop, 03 Collector of Curio & Relic firearms, etc. AND FFLs for importers, mfgr, mfgr of ammo, mfgr destructive devices,etc.

To be a dealer- you do not need a storefront- BUT- you must "intend to engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. That has been held to mean "devoting time and attention to making a livelihood". You cannot get a dealer's license for hobby pursuit. You must meet all requirements for having a business at the licensed premises- which CAN be your garage, basement, etc. You must meet zoning requirements, business license, sales tax ID, etc etc. If you are gunsmithing for pay, you need that license.

An 03 C&R FFL is for the hobbyist- the collector. Not a license to be "in the business". It covers all firearms that are 50 yrs old or older (in their original configuration) and certain other arms on the list published by BATFE. $30 for 3 yrs. No business premises. I CAN sell a gun to resident of my state, or FFL holder in any state. But should not be buying and selling so many to be a business pursuit.

Example- New Years Eve, a member here sent me an email- Dealer in Maine has a Mossberg 22 I might like (I collect Mossys) Called dealer New Years Day. Yes, they had gun, condition/ price what I was seeking- yes, they shipped- did I have a FFL for it to go to? Emailed them a copy of my FFL, credit card- 3 days later, UPS man standing there with my rifle. OR- walk into local dealer- handgun I want- made in 1960. We wheel, deal, arm wrestle, cut for high card, agree on price- I take copy of license out of wallet, sign it, hand it to him with cash, shake hands, take my handgun, drive home, enter it in the log book. Paperwork done. No 4473, no waiting on background check, no transfer fees. I can also order from wholesalers, and places like Brownells and Numrich give me a discount on parts.