Is ammo getting scarce?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by josephbw, Oct 21, 2008.

1. josephbw

josephbw New Member

I wanted to put in an order for some ammo yesterday and found something I wasn't expecting. Checking with the Cheaper Than Dirt and Midway USA websites, I noticed that buckshot and hollow point pistol ammo are both out of stock on most of the different selections. CTD didn't have any of the ammo that I wanted, but I was able to put together an order at Midway USA and got most of what I needed.

After I sent in the order to Midway, I got 2 emails from them. The first one said that since it was almost my birthday I could get special pricing on my next order. The second email was a confirmation that my order had been received . Being somewhat of a tight sphinctered person, I called their customer service and was given about a 10% discount on my order by a very friendly and helpful young lady. As always I have been treated with exceptional fairness at Midway.

Has anyone else seen a lack of self protection type of ammo in your area?

Joe

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

i want to walmart a week back to pick up a box or two of .223
    they only had one box
    :eek:
    this has never happened before they usually have alot...

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I haven't seen anything like that around here but then again I pick up my factory loads from a little mom and pop shop locally and the 70-something year old man who runs the place keeps a tight ship. If anything is getting short he lets me know but I haven't had any trouble getting what I was looking for. I haven't seen a decline in reloading supplies either.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Maybe the situation around me is weird, but whenever I go to get .223, it's a hit or miss proposition ('scuse the reference). Some days, they have several boxes of bulk. Other days, nothing at all.

What I have noticed is that people are buying up ammo in a big way and that has contributed to the rise in price.

5. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I've noticed no difference here in Montana. Then again, we have lots of ammo in our stores because everyone has guns and uses them here.

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Many ammo makers have cut back on "civilian" ammo in order to fill military contracts. This is nothing new and I'm surprised you are just now seeing it. I like to buy ammo from local gun shops to help keep them in business. Many are barely making it. I may spend a few more bucks, but I'm helping small businesses. When I find the ammo I'm looking for, I buy a bunch in case there is a future "problem" caused by elected politicians. :cool:

7. cbw

cbw New Member

No problem here,in Midwest picked up 200 40cal and 50 25 cal from the local wally world. they had plenty in stock.

8. supergus

supergus New Member

Not here in NC but it wouldn't surprise me. With the chances of B.O.
    winning, people may start buying up ammo, fearing that he may "back door" us.( serialized ammo, banning certain ammo). I'm not too worried though. Every time I go to the range, instead of shooting 100 rounds, I shoot 50 rounds of target ammo, and stash another box of S.D. ammo in my safe. Same thing with my milsurp rifles. Just bought 400 rounds of .30-06 from CMP for $100 (with ammo can).

9. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Wal Mart seems to have plenty in stock. I buy some every week.

10. Angeleyes

Angeleyes New Member

11. josephbw

josephbw New Member

Hi Guys,

I was referring to strictly self defense loads like hollow point and buckshot only. I haven't seen any problems with any of the rifle or FMJ pistol loads. I'm guessing that either people are stocking up expecting a gun and ammo ban after the elections, or are preparing for the coming rough and wild times. :eek:

Joe

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I haven't seen any "real" shortages but 40 S&W JHP ammo is getting tougher since most is sent to Iraq these days. I've been buying in bulk anyway... it's a whole lot cheaper. I have about a 10 year supply of all the calibers I use.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I see no shortages in my area. Gander Mtn is over flowing with $50 a box WWB ammo. and Federal as well. They have more buckshot and slug rounds on the shelves then ever before.

I also need to stock up on 22lr ammo. I am down to 2500 rounds. I need to order about 50,000 more rounds.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.40 S&W JHP going to Iraq? Who is using that caliber?

IMHO shortage is due primarily to people stocking up. I won't say hoarding because hoarding would imply aquiring more than is needed. How much ammo do you need? There is no such thing as too much ammo.

15. Mark F

I don't know robocop10mm, this is what my local gun shops are telling me. I'm certainly not hoarding ammo... I just buy it so I will have it.

16. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

ammo

factories dont dedicate one line to each caliber they make a run and then change to another.thats one of the reasons I am opposed to a lot of the new cartridges that dont improve much on an older cartridge.its mostly a sales gimmic.and the more cartridges the more they all cost.:rolleyes:

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the guys at the gun shop are telling you .40 ammo is going to the sandbox they MUST have some black ops connections or they are just mistaken.

The ammo manufacturers have a limited number of "Lines" available to produce ammo. Keep in mind the big companies make their own brass cases which is a fairly complex operation using big strong machines to extrude the brass. These machines can make cases from .22 short to .50 BMG but require a lot of down time to change calibers. Making small runs of less popular cases like .38-40 or .32 Win Spl is hard to justify when you can dedicate a machine to make .223/5.56 cases and leave is set up like that all year.

The actual loading machines are also capable of being converted to other calibers, but why would you break down the 9mm machine running 16-24 hours a day churning out millions of rounds a week to crank out a few hundred thousand .40's.

There is the problem of metals such as copper, brass and lead going overseas to feed the industrial revolutions of China and India. Supply and demand. They have huge demand that is depleting our supply thus causing prices to increase here and all over the world.

People are definately stocking up (hoarding) in anticipation of the upcoming election. I was at the Saxet gun show in Austin last weekend and the first 10 or so people I saw walking out the door were carrying cases of ammo. I'll bet nearly 100,000 rounds ws bought and sold in two days.

Get what you can when you can get it as long as the price is not too outrageous. It will only get worse inthe next three weeks and then if Obama gets elected the buying frenzy will kick up several notches before January. If McCain gets elected the scare will die down considerably and the market should stabilize.

18. Mark F

I'm loading up on all ammo at every opportunity.