Is a two inch 44 mag worth geting

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rugernut, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Was thinking about getting ruger redhawk Alaskan I was wandering eat you guys thought about the that ruger

2. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Not worth getting if you plan on shooting past 15 yards with it.

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Great if you are playing poker and someone is cheating!:)

4. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

I was also thinking about one for self defense because this gun looks awesome and I can also shoot the 44sp in it. I would like to here some feedback on this gun because I'm in the market for another good revolver.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

Check out a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Sp. The hole in the bore is just as big and the weight to carry is far less. If you're going to carry a .44 Mag or more I think a 2" barrel is just silly. 4" is useful, more than 6" gets cumbersome. I prefer 5" my ownself.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A 2" .44 is not really any more handy than a 4". The big factor is the cylinder diameter and butt size/shape. I had a 2 1/2" .41 Mag that looked cool, but was no more useful than my 4". I traded it away to get my HK-91.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree that a 2" barreled 44 mag. doesn't seem to me to have any advantages over a 4" barreled version. sure people buy them, gunmakers build and sell them, but IMO, a 4" barrel would be the shortest i would go with in 44 mag. recoil and muzzle blast are going to be more extreme in a 2" barreled pistol.

8. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Do any of you guys no how acurit a 4 in is

9. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

I can't say how accurate the 4" Redhawk is, but I regularly shoot 6" paper plates at 100 yards with my 4 5/8" 44 mag vaquero. Accuracy in revolvers is subject to a lot of variables, but generally speaking, the Ruger guns shoot reasonably well.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You must have a very special Vaquero :rolleyes:

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Hell yes! The Ruger Alaskan 44 is excellent. I shoot 340 grain, +P+ ammo through my Alaskan and it's deadly accurate. The felt recoil is about equal to a .357 thanks to the hogue tamer grip.

12. Axxe55

the grip can make all the difference in the way the recoil affects your hand. i changed the stock ribbed rubber ones on my Taurus Tracker 44 for the Hogue monogrips, it sure feels a lot better now. way more control.

13. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

back in the 80's i use to shoot a fair amount of PPC with a model 19 smith shooting 38's. i normally shot mid to upper 90's on the 60 shot course. one day i decided to try it with my 4" 629 shootin hot loads with a 250gr keith bullet. i managed to pull an 89 with it. am sure the gun coulda done better but don't think i coulda with those loads.:)

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Happiness is a big ol' 44

If you have the opportunity to own an Alaskan .44, jump on it. As hand-cannons go... the Alaskan 44 is by-far the most fun to shoot.

It's big, it's bulky, it's heavy, it's accurate, and it can handle the HOTTEST loads you can stuff in it. And, it won't break your arm. The only thing better than this is TWO of them!

Attached Files:

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I used to hit the 12" gong at 100 yards all the time with my 8" .44 Raging Bull. One time I actually managed 6/6 shots on the 12" gong at 200 yards using a clamp-on bipod.

But I agree, a 2" doesn't really give you much over a 4", but you lose a good chunk of your velocity and add a good bit of noise. Not to mention, if it is a defensive gun I'll take the increased muzzle control of a longer barrel ANY day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/JLindenwood?feature=mhee#p/u/9/t1Wd-h3XJkk]JLindenwood's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

16. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Way kind of groups do they get

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

NO - if you can't carry a 4" barreled revolver in 44 or larger cal then don't carry one buy a 41 or 4" barreled 357 mag. Plus some of the lite weight snubies shooting hot heavy 44 loads can cause the bullets to back out and jamb up the revolver so you end up with a single shot.

18. CubDriver451

CubDriver451 New Member

Don't know that I would call it "very special"...I reamed the chamber throats to proper dimension, installed a Belt Mountain base pin (over sized), fit a new locking lug, fire lapped it and developed an accurate handload.

None of these modifications are what I would call extreme. Fire lapping is time consuming, but not difficult, and probably accounts for more improvement in accuracy than the other work. The gun is however an early Vaquero, and judging by my last four Ruger purchases, a much better fit and and finish than what seems to be presently common from Ruger.

19. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

You may want to buy an eyebrow pencil. Yours will be burned off
    from the muzzle blast. :D

20. Axxe55

he could always wear a welding helmet when shooting a 2" 44magnum!:D