is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by shnorse, Jul 6, 2008.

1. shnorse

shnorse New Member

i was looking at bass pro shops for a semi auto 22, i was highly recommended a Ruger 10-22.. they said the remington that was about 30.00 cheaper was not as good..

how is the Ruger, any complaints? Is it a good reliable gun, or junk... is bass pro shops a good place to buy guns, or can i buy them online for cheaper?

thanks, erick

2. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

If typical 22 caliber semiautomatic accuracy is OK with you, then, Ruger's 10/22 is a decent rifle. Personally, I'd look HERE first. :)

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

As with most of these posts, you have to decide what is "good" for you and what is good for someone else.

What are you looking for? Are you looking for a training rifle? Are you looking for a small caliber hunting rifle? What is your end goal for the weapon?

The Ruger 10/22 is a sound platform, and it has an aftermarket that is wide open. You can, literally, buy a bottom of the barrel weapon and change almost every component to make a match grade rifle out of it. You can get special stocks, barrels, magazines, triggers, all sorts of stuff to personalize your weapon.

I have had three in my life. I now own one that I have built up from more of a base model. They are easy to own and maintain, but truth be told, they aren't the most accurate platform out there.

Ammo is cheap - I just spec'd out 525 rounds of .22LR Hollow Points for like $21 at Midway USA, so you can shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

As for Bass Pro - I don't know, I have never shopped there, they aren't big in this neck of the woods. I would spec out what you want, check Google and other sites, then compare the rifle price and features to your local shops....

JD

4. p5200

p5200 New Member

I would take the Marlin 60 over a 10/22 have owned both and the Ruger shot shotgun groups compared to the Marlin which shot verry good all three, that I have owned straight out of the box JMO. ;)

5. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

Perhaps your 10/22 wasn't right and you should have either sent it in for work or maybe youy should have done some tweaking yourself. This little 10/22 will shoot 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

[​IMG]

The Ruger 10/22 has more available aftermarket parts then any other rifle on the market today and can be turned into any type shooting machine you want to make it into.

6. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I've had a few .22's and the Ruger 10/22 is by far my personal favorite. I love the feel of this gun and the dependable rotary magazine that fits flush with the stock. I haven't had a single problem with this gun. I purchased this gun at Bass Pro Shops in Orlando, FL approx. 5 years ago when it was on sale. I paid $139.99 for it, which I think is a steal for such a fine gun. I would imagine the price would be much highter now. The stock fits me perfectly, but nobodies the same. If the 10/22 fits you good, then I would definately recommend it.

7. shnorse

shnorse New Member

how are the rugers on maintenance? easy to clean the barrel out and what not?

i have a bolt action right now.. its an older Remington that shoot straight as an arrow... i love the accuracy of that thing.. i just took it out tonight and shot everything i aimed it at...

the guys at BPS said the Remington they had in semi auto was not as good as the ruger.. is there truth to this?

I am also looking to get a nice scope... any recommendations?
    the 10 round clip sounds a bit small... any way i can go bigger, where can i get a larger clip?

THANKS

edit: how hard would i be to get a sling on it? I definitely like having a sling for my guns.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  8. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:eek: That's awful! Suggest you change to another brand of ammunition.

9. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

The 10/22 is a great gun accurate and easy to maintain but like all 22 rimfires it can have a preferance for a certain ammo .

I have had two and both prefered CCI Minmags , would shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards . What more could you want unless you plan on hunting for flies and mosquitos with it .

I would suggest trying one of the 22 scopes sold at Cabelas under their name brand .

I am a fan of the 2X7 powered scopes and tried one on a 30-06 about 4 years ago . It has held it's zero and has never fogged up on me despite hunting in rain and snow storms and temps down to zero with a howling wind and no lense covers , I imagine their 22 scopes would be just fine .

Buy the gun where you can get the best price , my first one was bought at the old Walgreens chain back when they had department stores not just drugstore , no reason a Walmart 10/22 wouldn't be a great rifle .

10. fapprez

fapprez New Member

If I was on the market for a 22lr Auto, I'd buy another Marlin Mod. 60. I've never owned a 10/22 or even fired one for that matter, but I have had my Marlin for 22 years and it has never let me down:)

11. shnorse

shnorse New Member

i know absolutly NOTHING when it comes to scopes.. we have 3 shot guns, and a 22, all with the iron sights... i have great accuracy with these, but a scope sure would be nice to have..

what do the numbers stand for and whats the differences?

12. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I mounted a Simmons brand .22 Magnum model scope on my 10/22 and it works great. I'm not the best in the world with a rifle, but it's fun and very inexpensive to try and improve your skills with a scoped .22. They offer plenty of higher capacity magazines.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

THe numbers stand for the magnification of power, how many times it will magnify the object you are looking at, and what the objective size is. The objective size is how big around the tube that the light comes through is in size. The bigger the tube, the more light gets through, and the brighter the picture ( assuming glass quality to be the same.

Example: Leupold ( who is a very good scope company ) makes a VX-III 4.5 - 14 x 40 mm. This is an adjustable scope.

The 4.5 - is the minimum magnification setting. On the lowest setting, you will magnify the target 4.5 times what a person can see with a naked eye ( assuming clear conditions and good vision )

The 14 - is the Maximum magnification setting. On this setting, you will magnify the intended target by 14 times what a person can see with the naked eye.

There are several settings in between, which as their numbers indicate will be the level of magnification.

The 40mm - is the size of the objective tube. This is the main body of the scope. If you get a 40mm tube, you will need scope rings designed to hold it, so you will need 40mm scope rings to go with it.

Example: Leupold also makes a FX-I 4x28mm Fixed power riflescope. This is designed for rimfire models, like the Ruger 10-22.

The 4 - is the fixed power. No setting to change. Every time you look through the scope, you see four times what the naked eye can see.

The 28mm - is the size of the objective, the main body of the scope. You would need scope rings that would hold a 28mm body to mount this scope.

The higher the numbers, the greater the magnification, and usually the higher the cost.

Hope that helps -

JD

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ease of maintenance. Reasonable accuracy out of the box. Spare parts easily scrounged from the hundreds of thousands of rifles made (one of the most popular and prolific models ever made). Accessories readily available if you are so inclined. The ability to easily change out barrels. My vote goes to the 10-22. I have a Marlin/Glenfield M-60 and it is an accurate reliable little rifle. I have worn it out. The barrel is now loose in the receiver but it works.

15. shnorse

shnorse New Member

alright, thank you all for the help!

16. Now with the same idea as shnorse, i have been looking at the 10-22 Ruger. i have never been a big gun person. But am rapidly getting more involved. for the $220 that bps is going to charge me is it worth it? or is there a better rifle to go with for the money or close to it?

17. oh really? yea that helps, thank you guys!

18. mossberg kid

mossberg kid New Member

10/22 its a great rifle but get the bull barrel

19. nativecajun

nativecajun New Member

Scopes

Best scope for what you need should be the question. These are my opinions only. For me the quality starts from Swarovski and works its way down. For a .22 cal (LR) rifle I would never spend the over one thousand dollars it would probably take for that calibre rifle for a swarovski. I have a little .17 mach 2 bull barrel savage and I mounted a 4x32 scope. This scope would be good for a .22 long rifle. A little under power for that mach two though. It was just a scope I had.

I quickly glimpsed at other members answers so I may be repeating someone here I do not know.

The first number on a fixed power scope is the magnification,a 4x32= 4 beeing four times closer and 32 being the objective lens size. The larger the objective lens the more light it will gather and the better quality of seeing your target in morning and evening situations. As far as the variable power scopes lets say a 4-14x50 , the 4 through fourteen is just the different magnifications with four being the lowest and 14 being the highest then the objective being a very good 50 which has great light gathering. My opinion you are wasting you money on buying a variable scope for a .22 lr gun. A four power or maybe at the most six but I still think six is over kill for a .22 lr gun.
    A good 4x42 scope from some of the afforadable manuafactures like simmons, BSA, some of the others slip my mind. There is a broad range from like a 89 dollar scopes to as much as you want to spend or "waste".

It has only been in the past few years. 10 to 15 years maybe that variable power scopes became the rage. Kind of like the mountain bike rage. Most of the people that buy a mountain bike have one just because that is what other people are buying. For me I buy the fixed power that suits the environment I will be hunting in. If I were in the west shooting with a .270 or larger calibre gun, a good variable may be OK but I would rather a good fixed 8 to 10 power any day. For the east like here in Tennessee where I live you will more than likely never shoot a deer at more than a hundred yards. It is all hills and woods here. I would mount a good 6 or eight power max on a 270. A .22 just for small game a good 4 or 6 power.

4x32 scope = 4times closer with a moderate light gathering 32 objective lens. I personally like the largest second number I can get in the power. 4x42 or 4x50 you will be able to see much better through it than a 4x32.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

20. nativecajun

nativecajun New Member

10/22 Ruger

I have had marlin and ruger. The ruger being the much more superior gun as far as build and accuracy. When you listen to the ruger cycle as you shoot it it cycles with the clunk clunk of a high quality gun. The marlin just kind of goes so fast a light you can hardly hear it cycle. When I say clunk clunk I am not talking of a cheap sound but like comparing the sound of a honda to a lamborghini. The 10/22 being the lamborghini.

Great rifle and I do not think you will regret it one bit if you purchase it. The most customized 22 as far as barrels and triggers and stocks on the market for competition shooting. If you really want to lay out the bucks get a customized Volquartzin ( ? spelling ) and you will have a one hole shooter on paper. But the bull barrels that come with it are of great quality. They have a sprial bull barrel that looks great. I believe someone said get the bull barrel, well I agree with him 100 percent. Stable and accurate. Beautiful rifle.

Daniel