Is a rifle that's 44.5 inches long too long for someone who's 5'5?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MP1000, Sep 26, 2009.

1. MP1000

MP1000 New Member

I'm not worried about weight. I just want to know if I will be able to hold a 44.5 inch rifle when i'm 5'5.

2. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

That depends, it has to do more with the stock length not the overall rifle length.

3. MP1000

MP1000 New Member

Here are the dimensions it lists:

26" barrel
    44.5" overall

4. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

What rifle is it? Can you post a pic or a link? That would be more helpful that the dimensions.

-Fred

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The number you need to find is called "length of pull". That is distance from buttplate to trigger. Don't worry about how far from your head to the ground- worry about distance from inside of your elbow to index finger.

My granddaughter is less than 5'5" by a LOT (she's 13) and shoots a Mossberg 46B with no trouble. That's about 45 inches overall- but LOP is about 14 inches.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^ 100% Agreed.

Length of pull is the only thing that would tell you whether the rifle in question in too large for the person shooting it.

JD

7. MP1000

MP1000 New Member

8. c3shooter

Length of pull on that rifle is 13.5 inches. Should be good for a short man or woman, or even a teenager.

That will be $10.50, please. Money order or cash. Payable to C3 Consulting. I applied the FTF discount.

Oh- how did I know that? I went to Google, entered Marlin 1895 length of pull, enter, and pulled up 3 gun writer articles with the details of the rifle you are looking at. :rolleyes:

BTW, the Marlin levers are, IMHO, some of the great all time rifles. The first cousin to the one you are looking at is the Marlin 336, which has been the second most popular NON rimfire rifle in the US (Winchester 84 is #1)

9. layton

layton New Member

Some might disagree with me, but I am 5'5 and on my rifles I use the sling, not only to carry, but to take a wrap around the sling to stabilize it either in the bench,prone, or standing position. I dont have any problems on my 308 Savage 99C Lever Action.

Layton

10. MP1000

MP1000 New Member

Do you take PayPal? Thank you for the information. I probably should have figured to check Google, but I didn't. Thank You.

11. c3shooter

MP- Naw, no paypal. Precious metals, bearer bonds, loose ammo, nubile women, distilled spirits or chocolate accepted. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Marlin levers are sweet rifles, machined steel and walnut- harks back to the days when a rifle was built to last longer than the buyer. I have grandchildren that are shooting the Marlin 39 that Mom bought Dad for their first anniversary. Enjoy.

Umm- just curious- why the interest in 45-70?

12. MP1000

MP1000 New Member

You're a funny guy. When I was a kid, I had a bunch of toy guns. My favorite was the lever action rifle that looks like this one. It would be really cool to get the real thing. Plus it has all the features I want- Easy loading and unloading, no bolt action, no scope, power, and the overall look.