Is a henry m7 survival 22lr worth getting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by firearmsguru777, Apr 4, 2014.

1. firearmsguru777

firearmsguru777 New Member

Hi
    Im a little bit of a survivalist but I'm a huge 22 plinker and i am wondering if the henry m 7 survival rifle is worth getting for $250

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

2. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

I think you mean the AR7.

I have owned one and my grandsons have one as well.

They are very light, easy to put together and IIRC, will shoot just about any 22lr ammo. I never had any problems with mine.

I liked the way I could put it in my backpack or even my saddlebags on my motorcycle.

You shouldn't have to pay full retail price, shop around. I think I have seen them as low as 225.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO the Ruger takedown is better.

Costs a little more, but it's worth it.

Stainless steel, easier setup, more

dependable and easier to handle,

and it's a 10/22, so it's compatible with

most 10/22 accessories.

Comes in a tough, spacious case.

4. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I don't own a .22 yet, but I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Ruger 10/22. I've seen them used for good prices around my area before as well. I'd probably look into those. Welcome to the forums :)

Franklin

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yes they are worth getting & yes you are right USAF designation is Survival Rifle M7, ArmaLite & Henry call it the AR-7 & yes they are good little pack rifles !..........

6. CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica New Member

The problem is getting inexpensive ammo today. You could get a .22 Pellet rifle for small game. Or get a Mossberg JIC

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It depends on your use for the gun. If you want a take down just for the sake of having a take down, no it is not worth it. Just buy a regular 10/22. If you need a take down rifle to stow in a boat, motor vehicle or airplane, yes, the Henry is worth it. There is no other gun to compare to the Henry. The Ruger 10/22 take down is the same length as a pump shotgun with the barrel removed. I do not see the point of the Ruger take down. The Ruger will not fit in the typical storage compartment on a boat or plane. If I am hiking or camping I want my gun assembled and ready to go. Two or four legged predators are not going to wait for you to put your gun together.

8. SparkPlug

SparkPlug New Member

the Henry AR7 is actually a pretty decent little gun for a take down. i had one several years ago. not great, but not bad.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

If you are concerned about civil catastrophe survival, you are not limited to the very smallest 22 you eject with from a burning aircraft. Besides the 10-22 there is the Marlin Papoose in current production.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I was checking out http://www.gunwatcher.com/ If you can get a Henry AR-7 out the door for $250 that is not bad. The best price I could find was $214. Then you have a $12 shipping fee and FFL transfer. I might even go $250 plus tax if the LGS is worthy of supporting. If the LGS treats you no better than Walmart I would wait for a deal on a AR-7. Henry has rebates a couple times a year. Vendors put them on sale...

11. CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica New Member

Don't get me wrong I think there is a place for it. I have the Henry, It is good, very good. It fits in a 'Laptop bag' for easy transport without disturbing nosey neighbors.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You mean like this ?...............

Attached Files:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

The ruger 10/22 takedown is the best deal the case fits handily anywhere the assembly is very fast it repeats zero over and over and is not dependent on you guessing torque like the ar7. The case will hold a brick 500 rounds plus 4 bx25 mags. It will strap easily to the outside of a backpack.

Since i own one and have tested it thoroughly buying a standard 10/22 is a head scratcher. Being able to easily remove the barrel for cleaning is huge.

And its waaaaay smaller than any pump shotgun when disassembled.

Ar7 is a skip it gun in my estimation.

If your really concerned about survival and using a 22lr for survival hunting buy a ar15 then add in a cmmg conversion. You then have a full power rifle that is capable of taking larger game and self defense at longer range while being able to convert to 22lr for rabbit and squirel.

The cmmg unit is the same size as a standard bcg and swaps out for one.

During ww2 korea vietnam 22 rifles were common kit in aircraft for downed pilot survival. No 22lr were ever used by a downed pilot for survival in 3 wars... Your odds in peacetime of ever needing a dedicated survival gun is beyound non-existant when the people who were most likely to need one never used them.

Now, if your an alaskan bush pilot who is flying a badly maintained plane never files flight plans doesnt carry an epirb and is particularly terrible at flying, then you might make a case for one...

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have an issue if most folks need a take down 22lr at all. If you need it do you want you have take the time to put it together and most fixed barrel .22lrs can be fit with a foldering stock in a back pack or small case and be quick to the ready IF short is needed. I had a browning semiauto 22 take down for years and never broke it down. Sold it to buy a more accurate .22lr. No take down is nicer along with the norinco version but again , is it needed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Browning_22_disassembled.jpg

Folder on a 10/22 and they have one for a take down model - https://underfoldstocks.com/Products

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When I was a kid, My dad had an AR7. I wanted to like it. It was a cool looking thing that was different from every other .22 at the time. Simply put, it wasn't especially accurate or much fun to shoot, IMHO. It might be something to toss in a bug out bag for the apocalypse, but I can't help but wonder if something else might be better.
    As a "piece of survival gear" it's probably fine. Though I think an over/under Savage combo gun might be more versatile.
    As a fun rifle to take out and shoot, I think it might be disappointing. I'd probably steer you toward one of the AR look .22 semi autos. With the collapsible stock, you can probably still make it work as part of a Go bag with a bit of adjustment. They are fun, easy handling and more than accurate enough for most people. The Mossberg version is pretty reasonably priced as well.
    It will eventually boil down to what you like.

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

I've owned 3 or 4 AR-7s over the years. Each time the company got bought out I would give the new version a try again and each time I was disappointed. As mentioned they are not a gun you would brag about being accurate. The sights suck; the magazines are even worse. I had feeding issues with everyone that I've owned. They are slow to put together and take apart. The shame of it is that it is a really good idea that has yet to be well executed. If someone would take the time to build them right; realizing they would have to charge more of it; it could be a great gun. If you really need a small caliber take-down rifle then a 10/22 is probably the best option out there right now.

17. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

there is no fore end. you support it by the barrel or the magazine. you want a real takedown gun, get a Ruger Stainless 10-22 Takedown.

I have an AR7, because of the very compact size. A good match for my Baja bug and Honda Trail Cubs. but it's the other take down gun, not the only takedown gun.

18. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

10-22 takedown Stainless in the bag is my 22lr. of choice and the best choice IMO....

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Ruger has a 16" barrel. A SD shotgun has a 18.5" barrel. Neither gun can be shorter than it's barrel. I don't call 2.5" way shorter. We are talking about long guns here, not sub compact pistols.

Apparently you haven't spent much time on a small boat that can be trailered in and out. I used to have a 20" bass boat. In rough water every compartment in the boat had a couple inches of water in it. The last couple miles before the boat ramp I would trim the motor way down and pull the drain plug so my truck didn't have to pull an extra 500 pounds of water up the ramp. A Ruger take down wouldn't last a summer in that environment.