Is a 9mm to small for a CCW?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by rbranstner, Mar 21, 2009.

1. rbranstner

rbranstner New Member

Is a 9mm to small of a gun for a CCW? My buddy is really trying to get me to not buy a 9mm for my summer CCW. I have a S&W 40 that I will be carrying in the winter with the use of extra cloths but I need to get a smaller gun for the summer. I was looking at a SKYY 9mm. He absolutely things a 9mm gun is worthless. A gun that you will carry is far better than a gun left at home because its to heavy or big. But as far as caliber goes do you think a 9mm is a bit small to take someone down?

2. rbranstner

rbranstner New Member

Or I should say the new name is SCCY they had to change their name from the old name SKYY. Any thoughts on this gun?

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Personally I prefer the 40., but that is just my opinion. There are some real nice sub-compacts in .40 S&W and 45 acp. Although, in the end you have to do what feels right to you. Trust me on this one. HJ

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, a 9mm is really just a .45ACP set on "stun" - but having said that, with the right defensive round, it can work just fine.

My woman carries a 9mm 1911, all steel, with a 135gr +P hollow points. With her shooting ability & the stopping power of that round, I am comfortable with her out of my sight. :cool:

JD

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you put a good defense round in it it will do just fine. get one with a big hollow point.

6. THT

THT New Member

Seriously? Shot placement is what really matters. 9mm is an effective round for self defense. Like any other caliber, select a good JHP like HST, Ranger T, Gold Dots, etc. and you'll be fine.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

9x19mm WILL do the job rather efficiently.

Keep those rounds between the shirt pockets, and the threat will not continue.

8. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

2 in the Chest 1 in the head.

The 3 pop is perfect for 9mms.

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Dream on...

10. chopkick

chopkick New Member

A 9mm is very effective with the right load. Like THT stated, shot placement is everything. But no matter what your preference, anything is better than nothing!

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

If you got to pop em 3 times you better get something bigger, ammo is getting pretty scarce these days. I'm starting a one man campaign called: Save The Bullets.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time and when the weather is warm I carry a S&W M&P 9mm compact. While I prefer the 45 it isn't always practicle to carry so the 9mm fills in nicely and I believe it is a reasonable defense round. With that said practice practice practice as shot placement is critical no matter what you carry.

13. Spanz

Spanz New Member

Well, it is better than a .22!

I am of the opinion that you should shoot a lot of ammo in whatever you are carrying. If you can afford to shoot a lot of S&W .40, go with that or bigger. If your budget only allows you to shoot a lot of 9 mm, then that is your best friend!

14. ladyM

ladyM New Member

Those that carry and are forced to shoot in a life or death situation will probably have a profound opinion on effective firearms.
    After talking with a few Marine recruiters,I definitely have a different "take" on the effectiveness of firearms. Most of the recruiters are very willing to relate their personal experiences . Right now the recruiters are not so busy and have been quite helpful with regards to my search for an adequate weapon for self defense. I don't mean that ALL recruiters are not capable of the same helpful advice but I've only tried the Marines and have been favorably impressed with their sincerity and candor.
    They have enlightened me as to their opinions on the 9mm and in particular
    the Beretta 9mm.
    Might be a good source for reference.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  15. WDB

WDB New Member

That is an intresting idea Lady M, what did the Marine recuiters tell you concerning the 9mm and the Beretta?

16. ladyM

ladyM New Member

Without fear of invoking the wrath of more experienced shooters than myself---I will state that as a result of my conversations with several combat experienced Marine veterans, I am pursuing a CCW class during which I will be attempting to secure a permit which states that I may conceal carry a Glock model 19.
    With ,what I define as, proper ammunition; I will be very satisified that my option for concealed carry is the BEST option for myself.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Wow that is a lot of words to say your about to take a class so you can buy and possibly carry a Glock 9mm. That may be a truly good choice for you and expect it will serve you well.

All the same finding several combat experienced Marines that would chose that weapon as a sidearm is truly hard to believe. I noticed you went from talking to a few USMC recruiter's to several combat experienced Marines. I know that USMC recruiter's are forbiden to discuss firearms with recruits and expect that would be the same for others that wander in while they are having a slow day.

The Glock 19 is a good firearm but not one a combat experienced Marine would choose. I can say this as a I was one of those Marines and my son is one of those Marines.

As I said it might be the right firearm for you but I highly doubt any Marine that has been in combat would want this as his sidearm.

18. ladyM

ladyM New Member

WDB -----You sir have chosen to assign your own meaning to each and every word that I placed on this thread. In as much as YOU WERE a Marine,MOST are Marines FOREVER,you are aware that recruiters will not discuss specifics of firearms--the same as I have been very vague in my responses.
    What I truly said was that after gathering much info---( I )--- have decided on the weapon indicated, and, that furthermore ---(I)--- am very pleased with MY decision. Nowhere did I state that the USMC recommended ANY particular weapon or offered any advertising for ANY product.
    You are very disconcerting in my attempt to uphold the honor of the USMC, the traditions and the rules and regulations pertaining to Marine
    public relations. Please ,in the future when you attempt to read ,be careful not to jump ahead of the text and add your very own interpretation.
    Combat veterans and active duty Marines are not necessarily in and of the same persons.
    Many words do not indicate the lack of meaning , what is indicated is a
    need for true comprehension and understanding of those words in order to avoid a grave misinterpretation of exactly what ideas are being communicated.
    Semper Fidelis---http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/editorial/edi52.asp

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  19. SlamFire

SlamFire New Member

Last time I checked, the 9mm was standard NATO issue and what the US Military shoots in the Beretta 93 FS.

And . . . I've been known to go to town with no gun at all. So you just gotta ask yerself, "Do I feel lucky . . . ???"

Going on 61 and never been in a civilian firefight.