is a 586 s&w with a 4 inch barrel for a cherry import sks a good trade?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by vmonty, Aug 18, 2011.

1. vmonty

vmonty New Member

the 586 is mine and the sks doesn't have the original mag well jut a 30 round clip guy tells me the gun is " unmodifyed" so I can put a ten round well back into it if I so choose. my question is am I bringing to much tithe table with my 586 or is it a fair trade?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Based on my limited research on the 586 a used one sells for atleast $500 and they go up from there. Trading the 586 for an SKS is a bad deal in my opinion. Also originally SKS' came with 10 round fixed magazines so more than likely the magazine well had to be modified slightly in order for the 30 round magazine to fit. It's a very bad trade in my opinion.

I would suggest you keep the 586, and again based on my limited research they're becoming harder to find so its value will increase over time.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

586 is more valuable than an SKS.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Your title sounds like you've already made up your mind. :rolleyes:

I don't know why anyone would sell a S&W wheel gun.

5. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Keep the revolver. If you really want an SKS they pop up on gunbroker all the time. Big 5 even sells them out here (so cal) once in a while.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

SKS's are selling for $300 to $350 in my area and they are a dime a dozen. Why anyone would want to trade a piece of fine American craftsmanship for a piece of Commie junk is beyond me.

I will give you $350 for the 586 and you can take the money and go buy a brand new SKS rather than the used one you are looking. The S&W goes to someone who can appreciate it while you get a brand new SKS. Everybody's happy!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Wambli

Wambli New Member

YES you are bringing WAY too mmuch to the table. The 586 is a desirable gun! Probably one of the finest Revolvers S&W has ever put out. SKS's are a dime a dozen out there.

8. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

If you let that 586 go....shame on you.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

Keep the 586 and save up for the SKS if you want one, they are pretty easy to find.

10. vanguard

vanguard New Member

keep the gun do not trade.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I own a 6 inch 586 that I got at a gun show about 3 years ago. I have not seen another one for sale since. Just about anybody that sells guns has an SKS laying around. I would not trade my 586 for 2 SKSs.

12. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Op is gone, think he sold it?

Sent from my Evo 4G using FirearmsTalk

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

He probably went to some milsurp board where his rationale wouldn't be so out of place.

14. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Thats like trading a corvette for a hugo or in the case of the two seater a wego. i have a brand new never fired universal carbine i will trade you.

15. vmonty

vmonty New Member

thanks to everyone for there replies and I'm sorry for taking my time in replying back I passed on the "cherry" sks and found a yugo and did a straight trade with a makarov I had collecting dust in the closet.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

probably a lot better trade! i agree with all the others, the 586 is worth way more than the sks. i have seen the sks brand new for as low as $275 in my area. i have only seen a couple of the 586's for sale. the sks is a decent gun, but not anywhere in the same class as that 586.

17. raveneap

raveneap New Member

The 586 is an excellent handgun and far more valuable than the sks. Dont even consider it.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I agree it's a bad trade but there is no reason to believe the SKS mag well was modified. The original 10 round fixed mag comes out by simply removing the trigger mechanism. Snap the trigger group back in without the 10 rounder and the 30 round detachable mags will rock in and out. No mod's required.

TACK

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

On most sks all you have to do is remove the magazine put back in the pin that kept in the fixed mag and then you can just put market sks mags into it. But ya, I saw a short barreled sks at a local gunshop for $170 personally I wouldn't do it.