Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be taking up duck hunting this fall and I'm looking at getting a shotgun...and I was wondering if a 3 1/2" chambering is needed or if just the normal 3" will do the job. I dont have the experience to know the answer so I put it to the good folks here on the forum. Thanks in advance for any answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Yes and no.

Is it needed, no. 2.75" and 3" were working well, especially on ducks before the 3.5" was released. Will it make it easier, yes. Especially if you target larger birds - goose, turkeys, that thing from Sesame Street, etc. It'll also help for farther distance shots. If you buy a 3" capacity shotgun, that's all you get. If you buy a 3.5", you can shoot anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool...follow up question...recommended ammo for ducks?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,374 Posts
In my experience shooting ducks from decoys does not require 3 1/2" ammo. 3" is plenty, if you can shoot. Pass shooting at range (35-45 yards) can call for the heavier payload of the longer rounds. Geese are easier with the long rounds.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
All advice given is great. As too ammo-black cloud or any HIGH end fowl shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
All of the above is great advise. The smaller amount of shot you use the more accurate the shooter has to be. I've shot alot of ducks with a 20 ga(but I missed alot also). So 2-3/4" or 3" or 3-1/2" is really up to you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,046 Posts
I've read that using a shorter shell than chamber length allows room for the crimp to open fully, resulting in a more consistent pattern. This prevents a slight deformation of the shot as it is squeezed past the crimp if the shell is the same length as the chamber.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
I've read that using a shorter shell than chamber length allows room for the crimp to open fully, resulting in a more consistent pattern. This prevents a slight deformation of the shot as it is squeezed past the crimp if the shell is the same length as the chamber.
Depends on how tight the chamber is and the brand/type of shell being shot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,046 Posts
I forgot to add in the correct me if I'm wrong part. Thanks marlin. Anyone ever do a test on this theory?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
I forgot to add in the correct me if I'm wrong part. Thanks marlin. Anyone ever do a test on this theory?
Yep. That's how I know that for a fact. We made 2 pump action 12 g at the shop and we tested this theory after I read it in a hunting mag. Out door life I do believe it was.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
It affects the consistency, how about the pattern size?
Made them tighter usually......larger the shot more odd it got
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
Larger shot/ odd? Confused...
It threw a spiral pattern w anything bigger than #4 shot w any choke tighter than improved. The tight chambered one I mean did.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,046 Posts
Marlinman said:
It threw a spiral pattern w anything bigger than #4 shot w any choke tighter than improved. The tight chambered one I mean did.
To make sure we are on the same wavelength, say for example, shooting a 3 in shell from a 3 in chamber produced the spiral with larger shot. And if a 2&3/4 shell was shot from a 3 in chamber it would pattern correctly, or tighter. Sorry, my brain has been in first gear all day for some reason, old age sneakin in or sumpin
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
To make sure we are on the same wavelength, say for example, shooting a 3 in shell from a 3 in chamber produced the spiral with larger shot. And if a 2&3/4 shell was shot from a 3 in chamber it would pattern correctly, or tighter. Sorry, my brain has been in first gear all day for some reason, old age sneakin in or sumpin
Correct. Perfect example would be #2 shot w full choke looked like the spiral hypnotist use-at 20 yards on a 6' board. It was about 3.5' across. Now you have to take into account that we did this experiment then found out the wads we loaded w were all ones that got rejected over a couple years for one reason or another. After we used good wads we still got wider patterns but the odd crap stopped......although I did have a wad hang up in the choke the last shot-3x choke tends to do that though;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,046 Posts
3x choke? Like the difference of cyl and full, then multiply times three for constriction? Ya think op's head hurts trying to follow this or is he just sound asleep dreaming about blasting a duck outta the sky? :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
primer1 said:
3x choke? Like the difference of cyl and full, then multiply times three for constriction? Ya think op's head hurts trying to follow this or is he just sound asleep dreaming about blasting a duck outta the sky? :)
No as in xxx full;) and ya I bet it is throbbing:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,046 Posts
Talk about getting old, a wad hang up in the choke at the last shot. Better ease up on the triple chokes there carradine :D
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top