Is 3 1/2" chambering needed??

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Reaper61, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Going to be taking up duck hunting this fall and I'm looking at getting a shotgun...and I was wondering if a 3 1/2" chambering is needed or if just the normal 3" will do the job. I dont have the experience to know the answer so I put it to the good folks here on the forum. Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Not for duck hunting. Most bird loads are 2 3/4 anyway. I really don't know of any 3" bird loads.

3. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

Yes and no.

Is it needed, no. 2.75" and 3" were working well, especially on ducks before the 3.5" was released. Will it make it easier, yes. Especially if you target larger birds - goose, turkeys, that thing from Sesame Street, etc. It'll also help for farther distance shots. If you buy a 3" capacity shotgun, that's all you get. If you buy a 3.5", you can shoot anything.

4. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Cool...follow up question...recommended ammo for ducks?

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my experience shooting ducks from decoys does not require 3 1/2" ammo. 3" is plenty, if you can shoot. Pass shooting at range (35-45 yards) can call for the heavier payload of the longer rounds. Geese are easier with the long rounds.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

All advice given is great. As too ammo-black cloud or any HIGH end fowl shot.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

All of the above is great advise. The smaller amount of shot you use the more accurate the shooter has to be. I've shot alot of ducks with a 20 ga(but I missed alot also). So 2-3/4" or 3" or 3-1/2" is really up to you.

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read that using a shorter shell than chamber length allows room for the crimp to open fully, resulting in a more consistent pattern. This prevents a slight deformation of the shot as it is squeezed past the crimp if the shell is the same length as the chamber.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on how tight the chamber is and the brand/type of shell being shot.

10. primer1

I forgot to add in the correct me if I'm wrong part. Thanks marlin. Anyone ever do a test on this theory?

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep. That's how I know that for a fact. We made 2 pump action 12 g at the shop and we tested this theory after I read it in a hunting mag. Out door life I do believe it was.

12. primer1

It affects the consistency, how about the pattern size?

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Made them tighter usually......larger the shot more odd it got

14. primer1

Larger shot/ odd? Confused...

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It threw a spiral pattern w anything bigger than #4 shot w any choke tighter than improved. The tight chambered one I mean did.

16. primer1

To make sure we are on the same wavelength, say for example, shooting a 3 in shell from a 3 in chamber produced the spiral with larger shot. And if a 2&3/4 shell was shot from a 3 in chamber it would pattern correctly, or tighter. Sorry, my brain has been in first gear all day for some reason, old age sneakin in or sumpin

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Correct. Perfect example would be #2 shot w full choke looked like the spiral hypnotist use-at 20 yards on a 6' board. It was about 3.5' across. Now you have to take into account that we did this experiment then found out the wads we loaded w were all ones that got rejected over a couple years for one reason or another. After we used good wads we still got wider patterns but the odd crap stopped......although I did have a wad hang up in the choke the last shot-3x choke tends to do that though;)

18. primer1

3x choke? Like the difference of cyl and full, then multiply times three for constriction? Ya think op's head hurts trying to follow this or is he just sound asleep dreaming about blasting a duck outta the sky? :)

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No as in xxx full;) and ya I bet it is throbbing:)

20. primer1

Talk about getting old, a wad hang up in the choke at the last shot. Better ease up on the triple chokes there carradine :D