is 2k rds alot ?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gh0zt36, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

through a stainless 10/22 with bull barrel?is 2k rds alot

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For a weekend, maybe. That is 4 bricks of ammo.

3. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

no , I mean period... how many rds do 10/22s take before they start wearing ?

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

The rifle should outlive you with proper care.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Short answer is a heck of a lot more than 2000 rounds.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Like add a couple of zeros on to the 2000

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have over 2,000 through a cheaper mossberg. Way over 2,000 rounds. Still dead nuts accurate.

8. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

My 10/22 i recieved when i was little has 60-80k rounds through it and functions fine.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Suffice it to say if you ever do need a new barrel,

you'll consider it money well spent.

More likely your great grandchildren may

need a new barrel...

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If even then , the lead from a .22 produces very very little wear on a barrel . I have a winny that belonged to my dad and I would guess it has well over 20,000+ rounds thru it and its still dead nutz accurate. I shot that thing every weekend when we went to the club my dad belonged to and I know I shot a brick of 500 every other weekend for a couple years

11. jyo

jyo New Member

Ruger 10-22s probably will last your lifetime and the lives of those who end-up with the rifle long after you are gone---in short, no, 2000 rounds is really nothing.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a 35 year old Model 60. I bought it NIB. It has had 100,000's of rounds ran through it. 500 round boxes used to be around $5. I have shot a 500 round box of ammo every couple weeks ever since day one. Once you figure in inflation 22 ammo is the only round that has depreciated in value.
    Edit
    I bought a 10/22 in the past few years. It has fired an unknown amount of ammo. Once I got tired of shooting through a scope I started shooting the model 60 again.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  13. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

My dad and I each bought a 10-22 in 1968.

To give you an idea of how the world has changed, we bought them at a Walgreens Drug store for $49.95 and bought 4 bricks of ammo for $3.49 a brick(I found the receipt in my Dad's stuff after he passed away).Most weekends we would take them out and shoot a brick of ammo up just plinking, and several times a year we would go to my sister's place and shoot 1000's of rounds trying to cut down the jack rabbit population on her place.

I have no idea how many 10,000's of rounds my 10-22 has had thru it, but I did have to replace the barrel 5 years ago, the new barrel willl certainly outlive me.

14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Wow , that's incredible. you still have the rifle and receipt?

Does having a bull barrel change its life span as far as the receiver even if the barrel is bedded?

15. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

More 22 rifles have been worn out by cleaning from the muzzle end with a cheap aluminum cleaning rod
    than have ever been worn by just shootin'. As long as the barrel doesn't lead up, just shoot it. I've
    got an old Stevens auto that was new in 1957--I KNOW it's got well over 100,000 through it and it will
    still shoot just as accurate as it did when I was a kid.

16. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Nawp...seriously, it'll outlast you.

Centerfire rifles kill barrels after awhile due to the speed at which the ammo goes thru the barrel...
    Rimfire ain't going anywhere near 3000+Fps...so don't sweat it.

Now if you have a 1022T model, and you are seeing ever-increasing groups, that's due to the crappy way Ruger built that particular model...
    only a few seem to have the problem...but its there...I had one and the problem reared its head quick...
    two trips back to Ruger, they couldn't figure out how to fix it, so it got done in...

17. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

You'll never wear out that barrel by shooting it. Cleaning it with rough equipment may wear down the grooves in the barrel but that takes some doing too. You might see world class shooters change barrels after about 10,000 rounds but they're working on getting absolute perfection and it's the cleaning of the barrel that actually causes the wear and they clean often.

I have a Marlin 60 with well over 150,000 rounds through it. I've seen people shoot more than 2000 rounds through a .22 in a single day. It's not that unusual. I can shoot up a brick in a little over an hour with a semi-auto .22. That's 500 rounds. For well over a year I probably shot a brick in about 4 days and that's only because I couldn't afford any more ammo than that. I could easily have shot a brick every day if I would have had that kind of money. As it was I spent about $3000 on .22 ammo that year and 95% of it went through one rifle.

Use a bore snake to clean your bore. You don't need to clean it often. Your rifle will still be going when your grandchildren are old.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a 30+ year old Marlin M60 that i bought last year, that i have put well over 3000 rounds through and who knows how many before i got it, with no loss in accuracy. clean it every once in a while and enjoy it!:D

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a Marlin 39 (not a 39A, but a 39) Mom bought it for Dad for their first anniversary. My GRANDKIDS are still shooting that rifle. I do not think I can LIFT the weight of the ammo that rifle has shot.