Is 10mm Auto in Glock 20 good self defense round?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by James Park, Jan 25, 2011.

1. James Park

James Park New Member

Is 10mm Auto in Glock 20 good self defense round compared to other rounds like .45ACP and 9mm?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's particularly good against bears, is expensive to shoot, and has serious recoil. What is your experience with handguns?

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

ballistically superior to the popular semi auto chamberings.

Recoil is not so bad if your hands are big enough to properly hold that G20 grip. Factory ammo IS expensive. I roll my own at around $7-$8/50.

Ive shot ALOT of it, in numerous guns, but most in the G20. Took second place in SS SSP at the 2010 IDPA Wounded Warrior Gateway Classic with that Glock.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

See if you can find the FBI ballistic tests before they went to the .40S&W.
    Hollow points are better than ball for SD (ball will definitely over penetrate).

Flatter shooting, more recoil means longer recover time between shots.

When I used a Delta Elite for USPSA / IPSC, I reloaded to get the round down to required power factor.

The only thing I hate about the 10mm is the accelerated wear on the pistol.

5. powg

powg New Member

10mm

Uncle Ted loves his ...thats enough for me .Defense,hunting ,expensive ...what more could you ask for!:D

6. freefall

freefall New Member

I just bought a Dan Wesson 10mm with the idea of it being an all-around carry gun- bears, moose, criminal, etc. Needs some breaking in. I think the round might be a bit more than needed for 2 legged carnivores and could be a tad light for the larger 4 leggers. But it beats screaming for help.
    I do find the Glock to be an ill-feeling contraption, or I'd have bought one of those for a lot less money.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is not a good Self Defense round...It is a GREAT Self Defense round. 180 gr Speer Gold Dot hollow point going 1300 fps! That load is not for the faint of heart though. Recoil is snappy for mere mortals.

8. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Not a thing wrong with the cartridge,( think .41 mag )however if your experience level requires you to ask it is probably not a good choice.

Dan

9. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

Ballistics are great!

I've never shot one, don't know anyone that owns one, I've never seen one at the gun club, and I think my local dealer 'watering hole' has maybe 2 for sale.

Just food for thought.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

Robo, what kind of pistol do you carry? Do you use a recoil buffer? What weight recoil spring? I'm a 10mm newbie.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, recoil buffers should not be used in any handgun used for self defense. I use a 20# in my C-BOB. Change the springs on a regular basis and maintain the handgun and it should last.

But, as with any other firearm purchase, buy the best quality piece you can afford.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

S&W 1006 w/Sprinco recoil reducer. I believe the recoil spring is about 18#. The Sprinco has a captive secondary spring (think HK USP) that slows the slide for the last 1/2" or so of travel preventing battering of the frame. If I use subsonic ammo it will not lock the slide open after the last shot because the slide does not even reach the full stop position.

13. Bighead

Bighead New Member

It is a large gun in an expensive caliber. If you are ok with those two things then you will be pleased with your Glock 20. The gun can handle the 10mm cartridge, and the cartridge is excellent for self defense.

14. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Not a lot of 10mm rounds available either. Here in Central Florida only some of the gun shops have them. The only place I see them regularly is at the gun shows. Even then there is not a lot of the hollow point defense rounds available.

15. nate

nate New Member

Yeah I'd love to have a 10mm too but I have not once seen ammo one the shelf at any local gunshop arround me. Then again they dont even have good 22-250 ammo eather.

16. Bighead

Bighead New Member