Iron sights

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Archenbow, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Okay, so I've been shooting for about 6 years now (since I was 10) though not entirely actively the whole time. I consider myself somewhat of a marksman at long range with a scoped .22, but I've always been wondering if I'm doing something wrong with my iron sights. Should I have to focus on one sight, and then focus on the other, alternating until I feel comfortable that they're lined up, and then focus on the target? Usually I can't hit diddly squat with iron sights so that tells me I must be doing something wrong. Any info or advice on how to do it properly would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Archenbow

2. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Thanks that does help. However my rear sight is very out of focus. Should I focus more on it?
    Thanks.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It is impossible for the human eye to focus on these three things at once(front and rear sights and target). If you shoot good with a scope then you can hold steady. You just have to practice with the iron sights. When I pull the trigger the rear sight is is way out of focus for me.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

that link was pretty spot on. i'll just re-state... focus on the clear tip of the front sight post. your rear sight and target will be blurry... just split the blurry evenly on all sides

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

no offense ment but you might need glasses if things are blurry on a regular basis, for a while I couldn't hit jack **** with my 30-30 went to my doctor found out somethings got some glasses and now I can at least hit a man target at 70 yards.

6. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Alright thanks a lot guys. @unclebear I do have glasses actually. That's how I see the front post at all. :p But practice that today. Thanks again!

7. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Actually I have one more question. I also have a snub nose .22 revolver, and I can't hit *anything* with it. I have spray cans at about 25 feet and I only rarely hit. What am I doing wrong? Should I be aiming at a different spot?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

On the sights, as said- focus on front sight bade. Your eye will tend to center it in the rear sight. Please note on miltary arms with aperture and post, the rear sight is actually a hole in a disc of metal- you eye will center that front post in the circle of light.

With your 22 snubby- what gun is it? Are you missing consistently high, low, left, right- ot does it look more like the pattern of a shotgun?

9. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
    It's a High Standard Sentinel. 9 shot. I'm not sure because I'm having trouble seeing where it's hitting (I know, at 30 feet c'mon) but I do know that I aimed for the bottom of the can, but it ended up hitting like a foot high. That's one of the few times I've seen the splash. Otherwise it seems to be pretty inconsistent.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

get yourself a big sheet of paper or cardboard with no holes like 3x3 feet. place a target or use a marker n simply make a dark spot to aim at. shooting at this shouls at least tell you if the shots are all high/low, left. or if its all over like c3 says. might not be as fun as aiming at a can but it will give your critical information

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Your High Standard Sentinel is not exactly a target gun.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

It has been said that snub nosed revolvers are the hardest to hit with. Fundamentals don't change w barrel length yet, I do seem to concentrate more and especially w my follow through w snubbies.

More rewarding when you hit w a short barreled anything. SA/DA revolvers are better IMHO than the DAO models. (need trigger work - some people love them but I am not one of them ).

22 pistols are notoriously finicky about ammo preferences - keep trying new batches and w a pistol rest. You will notice a preference for one brand over others. Barrel harmonics, ammo variations per rd & good mechanics or fundamentals.

Just my .02

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I was just in to see a guy I've known for years to sell him a rifle, he collects High Standards and asked if I've seen any.
    Is yours a double action? One hand, two hands? It could be many things.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I tend to focus mostly on the target and the front sight,you can kind of lock in the back sight in one position in your mind then focus on the front sight and target at the same time.Its very hard to explain but once you get it-you get it and you will hit every time.As for a snub revolver,maybe try squeezing your left hand as hard as comfortably possibly without shaking(assuming your right handed)and letting your trigger hand and finger relax as you pull the trigger,I don't know if that's a real technical skill but it works awesome for me with revolvers.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

You weren't going to sell any of your .35 or .366 rifles ? I have a High Standard Victor in good condition but how to get it to you is an issue...I'm working on getting a camera. ;)