Iron Sights at 300yds

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Aug 11, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well im getting ready to do the zombie shoot at mcmiller on the 25th. tossing around the idea of using my bcm upper but its too light for accurate off hand shooting where headshots on the zombies count and miss count against. still dont have a rifle buffer tube for my rra rifle lower and decided "what the hell just use the bcm lower"

looks a little odd, national match upper on a carbine lower, but it shoots damn well. its a RRA national match A2 with wilson air gauged cryo treated barrel 20". 1:8 twist wylde chamber with .050 front sight and 1/4x1/4 windage/elevation rear with .040 peep hooded rear sight. bolt is RRA chromed. handguards are freefloated. trigger is RRA 2 stage. sling is a turner sadlery biothane version of the 1903 rifle sling. i think its the best sling available for shooting off hand, sitting or prone.

[​IMG]

ammunition is sierra 77grain matchking bthp over 24grains of RL15 using wolf .223 primers. brass is just range pickups of various makes.

temperature was 75degrees with 1-2mph winds from right to left. distance 300yards.

on this target the top three shots were sight in at 300yards. the rest was the same distance, i was using the dope for 69grain sierra matchking bthp. dropped it down 2 clicks and i was spot one for the next 4. i yanked one way to the right :/ but the first three could have been covered with a quarter.

while these shots were done from a solid front rest the point was to see just how well i could do under ideal conditions.

anyway here is the results

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Impressive shooting Jon.

3. rurak

rurak New Member

Thats damn excellent at 300 yds. Nice work

4. Rick1967

I like the heavy bullets too. I use a 75 grain Hornady Match BTHP. I have a 1 in 7 twist. I havent tried to push it out that far yet. But it will shoot clover leaves at 100 yards. But this is with a scope.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. at that distance the target looks about the size of a grain of rice. even with a rest its not easy. RRA makes the best irons out there they track true and are predictable in their adjustments.

ive tried hornady but i get lackluster results at longer ranges.

with a 100yd zero i had to come up 18 clicks to hit zero at 300yds. from 100 to 200 was up 8 clicks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. Rick1967

I have a removeable carry handle with the A2 sights similar to your rear sight. I haven't tried that kind of range with them though. Again, I am impressed.

7. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

8. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Very nice shooting!

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Holy, that is pretty awesome!

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Impressive. Should be able to scramble some zombie brains.

11. Seven

Seven New Member

Awesome shooting, JM! Especially with "not using the lower you wanted."!
    That's about how I shoot at 200 yards with the "complete rifle I wanted." :eek:

12. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

WOW thats some great shooting !! I can't even see 300yds with my spotting scope never mind open peep sights. My hats off to you :)

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That some impressive groups for iron sights! Nice shooting Jon.

...and don't worry about the carbine lower look. I run a collapsible carbine lower for both my 16" LMT and my 22" free float uppers.

I would really like a magpull adjustable stock but won't sacrifice the collapsible on my shorty so I guess I'll just need to bit the bullet and build a second lower.

I really liked the Obama lower I saw in an earlier thread. Instead of safe, it said HOPE and instead of fire, it said CHANGE. ^^THIS^^ lower with a MOLON LABE dust cover would IMO be damn cool...:cool:

Tack

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. the rra lower i have mates up so tight you could swear it had an accuwedge. im thinking i need one click right windage, everything seemed to be just left of center all day from 50 to 300yds. i should have it back to its normal fixed A2 stock glory soon

my only regret of that rifle is not getting the A4 upper and NM detachable carry handle.