IQ Test

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jo da Plumbr, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine, it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Answers To Quiz:
    1.. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends..
    Boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward. Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.
    Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside.
    Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?
    It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw.
    Dwarf, dwell and dwindle. (Isn't "Dweeb" a word?)

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh.
    Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "S".
    Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts, swim fins.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Not too bad, 6/9. :) Got stumped by questions 1, 3 and 8. Although it took me a while to figure the strawberry and 3rd word starting with "dw".

So what do I win? :D

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

If you missed #1 I wouldn't be looking for a prize.

4. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

For number one, what about UFC?

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'll have to check with the judges on that one...
    Yes the UFC will be an acceptable response.:D

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar.1 Period,2 comma, 3 colon, 4 semicolon, 5 dash, 6 hyphen, 7 apostrophe, 8 question mark, 9 exclamation point, quotation mark, 10 brackets, 11 parenthesis, 12 braces, and 13 ellipses.

So what is the fourteenth one?

`
    /
    :
    ;
    '
    "
    [
    ]
    !

Punctuation

1. apostrophe ( ’ ' )
    2. brackets (( )), ([ ]), ({ }), (< >)
    3. colon ( : )
    4. comma ( , )
    5. dashes ( ‒, –, —, ― )
    6. ellipses ( …, ... )
    7. exclamation mark ( ! )
    8. full stop/period ( . )
    9. guillemets ( « » )
    10. hyphen ( -, ‐ )
    11. question mark ( ? )
    12. quotation marks ( ‘ ’, “ ” )
    13. semicolon ( ; )
    14. slash/stroke ( / )
    15. solidus ( ⁄ )

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  7. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

...So what you're saying is the first question is wrong, and by default the rest of the test meaningless right? :cool:

8. propex

propex New Member

For number 1 I put horse racing...sport of kings :D

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

No what I'm saying is you were going to get extra credit.

Till you started hasseling the judges.:D

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

The spectators can see who's winning a horse race.

Fail!

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

You really are slow at work, huh?

Well done my young scholar. :D

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Not slow today. I have torn down two complete computer labs and boxed them up. Filmed a 2nd grade play and set up the A/V for the D.A.R.E graduation and watched a bit of a movie while getting the projector tuned just right. Helped 3 teachers give math test in the computer lab.

13. bkt

bkt New Member

That's incorrect. No race is won until the finish line has been crossed, therefore no one is ever "winning". Someone or something can be in the lead which may or may not be an indicator of the final outcome; plenty of races have been lost in the last (fractions of a) second.

The question is bogus: there are several sports where neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or outcome 'til it's over. ;)

14. user4

user4 New Member

Poker is the same.

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I thought about Poker, but unless your talking about a game of 1 hand, you can see how many chips your opponents have and on TV the viewer knows players hands(although its previously recorded not live)

As for horse racing, you can't see who is "winning" but you can see who is in the "lead" and that person would be the "leader" as the question states. Although the same might be able to be said about boxing, you might not know the score but sometimes you know who the leader is.

It's just not a scientific question its opinonated.

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Not in a photo finish!!

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OMG fighting is the only sport you don't know anything until it is done but KO, TKO, Submission, or judges. Horse racing is for sissys and short people. Poker is for fat people who like the chat on themselves or urinate on themselves. Since when is poker even a dam sport, a bunch of fat guys or guys in overly big sunglasses SIT ON THEIR Collective AZZEZ and do nothing but talk smack. OHHHHHHHHHH really I sport requires you to be in good physical condition and have some kind of skill other than sitting real still and making no facial expressions. GIVE ME A BREAK..... Before you know we are going to have couch potatoting as an olympic sport. Lets see who can sit on a couch for the longes time with out getting up to eat, drink, or use the restroom. YAHHHHHHH

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am going to have to over rule that, because the correct answer is MMA. UFC is a brand of MMA, but it is NOT the ONLY BRAND.

MMA would be an acceptable answer.

I had seen this before, and while I don't remember my score, I know the punctuation thing kicked my *** as did the fruit with the seeds on the outside. Most of the common ones, like Niagra and Boxing, I knew....

JD

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If this is your argument, then boxing isn't the answer either. Some fights without KOs, you can obviously tell who the winner is going to be from how the boxers performed.

Since everything is a sport these days, add chess as an answer.

Chives are perennials. The only reason I know this is because I watched Gran Turino last night.:cool: Awesome movie BTW. That is the only one I know without looking anything up. But upon doing so, I found radicchio, horseradish, egyptian onion, bunching onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, yams, Jerusalem artichokes, sorrel, and capsicum species (if the bush is large enough), are all perennial vegetables.

Nice quiz. Don't you love how firearmstalk.com takes any information thrown at it and tears it a new one??