Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed reduced charge life on the latest iPhone software upgrade besides me? iOS 14.4

I wish they would just leave the damned things alone.

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
Apple can’t please everyone. Every iOS upgrade is going to require more space and more processing power. That’s going to lead to a slight reduction in battery life. Those are the facts of life with IT software advances.

There are plenty of steps one can take to increase battery life.

For me, my use of my phone is usually within reach of a power cord. Ergo, when the battery gets low, I recharge. I have also in the past owned a battery supplement iPhone case from Mophie that worked extremely well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you have an older phone, you might try replacing the battery.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have an older phone, you might try replacing the battery.
The battery is OK at 96%. If Apple does things that consume more power, they can do new things that consume less power.....i.e. NASA and space vehicles. The technology is out there, so is planned obsolescence.

This will probably be my last Apple product due to past negative behavior and lack of integrity on their part...i.e. lying to me overtly and getting caught. Their "geniuses" are heavily trained to move people into a new expensive product rather than problem solve. Their computers aren't made to have components replaced but a good independent shop can do it cheaply. They would have you believe otherwise. Other options are probably the same way but Apple just makes me want to puke they so overtly lie in Apple stores. I've overheard them lying to customers right next to me with similar problems in the past. It's a very long story but I got the problem solved and they did it. Just have to have miles of patience and talk to them right. WAAAAYYYY too much patience. Most people can be talked into a corner when they're lying. It does test my patience though. Just another rant. That's part of the usefulness of internet forums besides information exchange. Thanks and have a PC computer/phone day! :)

·
Proud to be an American
3,527 Posts
I'm on a Mac, iPad and iPhone and would never even consider going back to a PC. My experience has been positive all the way, updates always install without issue, free operating system every year for many years and much less prone to outside attack.

i haven't run any anti-virus of any kind since 2012 with zero issues! 🥃

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I love Apple I would have nothing else but I chew up I phone batteries in my 6. Batteries and Bulbs puts new ones in for $60 while you wait.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went from PC, to Apple, back to PC. I'm not exactly for Microsoft either. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I just have a very low tolerance for being lied to in person repeatedly by Apple store personnel who are trained to lie and accept this training. It is an indicator of lack of integrity among other things that fall in that bucket. We all have our experiences and react accordingly. My question has been answered so thanks for that and have a nice weekend.

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
I was a Microsoft guy for many years, starting with MS-DOS 1.1. I got tired of being the family help desk, so I moved to Apple starting with my daughter's first iPhone in about 2010. I now run an entirely Apple ecosystem here at home, except for my work laptop....and when that gets replaced in a couple of years, it will also be a Mac.

Microsoft makes it entirely too difficult to keep everything running smoothly. Any Apple Mac OS update requires a (quick) reboot. Most of the Windows updates I have to install require at least 30 minutes for a reboot, sometimes longer. Both my Mac and my Windows laptop get updates on about a monthly basis.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Can't speak to the latest devices or the latest O/S version, specifically, but ...

Never did like Apple's admission they were fooling with automatic slow-downs of certain devices, as part of inducing people to "upgrade." Hateful, that.

Fact is, with current battery technology, those cells take a beating on the drawdowns and recharging they're subjected to. In my own experience with a variety of devices, it's generally worth purchasing a replacement battery cell every two or three years, just to keep ahead of the curve. JMO.

As for limiting how hard the device is on the batteries, I've always gone through the setttings and choices multiple times until I've altered many of the power-sucking choices. Automatic dimming, less-intensive background lighting, reducing time cutoffs for things, defaulting to turning certain features off when I don't need them, defaulting to "airplane" mode and turning off GPS when for the next several hours all I need the thing for is the calendar and alarm, etc. Can make a big difference in the amount of power drawn.

Generally speaking ^those efforts help with any of these hard-used, rechargeable devices, whether they're Apple's or not.

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
automatic slow-downs of certain devices, as part of inducing people to "upgrade.
That's not the reason for the device slowing. It has more to do with battery life shortening caused by overheating. Newer features require more processing power and older chips will heat up faster than newer chips.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
That's not the reason for the device slowing.
It's been the reason on prior models of Apple iPhones, per Apple's admission. But, yeah, on the newer device and newer versions of the O.S., I suspect you're correct. Puny spaces, little to no ability to eject "excess" heat, hotter-running chips, more features running on them, etc. Particularly bad on batteries once the cells have cycled a few hundred times. A battery's life is rough. All the tougher in these shrinking, ever more powerful devices.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My iPhones are a few models older, I get them off FleaBay, usually order a new battery and screen. Much cheaper than the new stuff. I am lost on a different brand of cell phone. Apple is not perfect, but works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
The battery is OK at 96%. If Apple does things that consume more power, they can do new things that consume less power.....i.e. NASA and space vehicles. The technology is out there, so is planned obsolescence.

This will probably be my last Apple product due to past negative behavior and lack of integrity on their part...i.e. lying to me overtly and getting caught. Their "geniuses" are heavily trained to move people into a new expensive product rather than problem solve. Their computers aren't made to have components replaced but a good independent shop can do it cheaply. They would have you believe otherwise. Other options are probably the same way but Apple just makes me want to puke they so overtly lie in Apple stores. I've overheard them lying to customers right next to me with similar problems in the past. It's a very long story but I got the problem solved and they did it. Just have to have miles of patience and talk to them right. WAAAAYYYY too much patience. Most people can be talked into a corner when they're lying. It does test my patience though. Just another rant. That's part of the usefulness of internet forums besides information exchange. Thanks and have a PC computer/phone day! :)
That’s 96% of actual, not original capacity. The battery will age even without the updates. An Apple salesman is like any other. Buying a car may be less frustrating only because you understand the product better.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts

That’s 96% of actual, not original capacity. The battery will age even without the updates. An Apple salesman is like any other. Buying a car may be less frustrating only because you understand the product better.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I do miss the old Nextel rubber coated flip phones. I dropped on about 14 feet one time while going up a ladder and it was fine. Try that with an I phone.

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
I do miss the old Nextel rubber coated flip phones. I dropped on about 14 feet one time while going up a ladder and it was fine. Try that with an I phone.
I buy Otterbox cases for my iPhones. I have every confidence my phone would survive a 14-foot drop. Then again, it's in my pocket when I'm climbing a ladder...

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I buy Otterbox cases for my iPhones. I have every confidence my phone would survive a 14-foot drop. Then again, it's in my pocket when I'm climbing a ladder...
I have an otter box too but I would never want to test it that way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts