Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new member here. Been stalking the forums since I am building my first AR. Anyway I am also a new Iowa resident and am new to permit to acquire. I am in Blackhawk county, did the online version, received an email 4 days ago that they are mailing my permit. Anyone else do the online permit, if so how long before your permit showed up?

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. Been stalking the forums since I am building my first AR. Anyway I am also a new Iowa resident and am new to permit to acquire. I am in Blackhawk county, did the online version, received an email 4 days ago that they are mailing my permit. Anyone else do the online permit, if so how long before your permit showed up?
Welcome to the forum.:) We don't have any of that crap in Bama so I can't answer your question but I am sure someone here can. Enjoy!;)

·
Supporting Member
13,279 Posts
Welcome to the FTF! Glad to have you join us.
You might check this out but here is what I found!

Iowa state permit is not required to purchase a shotgun, or rifle. Under Iowa Code Section 724.15, a permit is required to purchase a handgun. The buyer should be 21 years or older to apply for a permit.
I am sure IOWA SHOOTER here on the Forum can clarify this issue for you! He is very aware of the laws of Iowa at the present time. He is the Iowa Gun Guru!:)

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,332 Posts
Time will depend on your County Sheriff and his office folks. Your choice of doing it online was a BIG mistake! Should always just go down to your Sheriff's Office to fill out form. May take 5 days only. Wait a few more days. Can take 30 if they have any questions from the past.

Also, since you are a new State resident, the background check may have to go to Missouri also. You say four days ago? Well, they don't work on the weekends either.

This permit only applies to pistols and revolvers. If you end up getting a Concealed Weapons Permit it allows you to buy them also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the FTF! Glad to have you join us.
You might check this out but here is what I found!

Iowa state permit is not required to purchase a shotgun, or rifle. Under Iowa Code Section 724.15, a permit is required to purchase a handgun. The buyer should be 21 years or older to apply for a permit.
I am sure IOWA SHOOTER her on the Forum can clarify this issue for you! He is very aware of the laws of Iowa at the present time. He is the Iowa Gun Guru!:)

Thanks! So I wanted to just buy a lower and call it a rifle but apparently Iowa doesn't trust me to build a rifle alone haha. I chatted with the guy who I am transferring the lower through and he required me having the permit...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time will depend on your County Sheriff and his office folks. Your choice of doing it online was a BIG mistake! Should always just go down to your Sheriff's Office to fill out form. May take 5 days only. Wait a few more days. Can take 30 if they have any questions from the past.

Also, since you are a new State resident, the background check may have to go to Missouri also. You say four days ago? Well, they don't work on the weekends either.

This permit only applies to pistols and revolvers. If you end up getting a Concealed Weapons Permit it allows you to buy them also.
Thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Thanks! So I wanted to just buy a lower and call it a rifle but apparently Iowa doesn't trust me to build a rifle alone haha. I chatted with the guy who I am transferring the lower through and he required me having the permit...
Well then, tell me exactly what lower you asked him to transfer! I aw well versed in Iowa gun laws. Dealt with them my entire life.

If you asked him to transfer an AR pistol lower as a rifle, you are violating Federal Law. An AR lower is either a pistol type or a rifle type. In all states. This is the only reason I see that an FFL dealer would tell you to get that permit for an AR design.

Oh, that is Federal law and Missouri does the same with lowers as far as registration and transfers go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lower is a stripped lower, it comes with all pieces needed to make it into a complete rifle lower. Cheap setup from Karris Guns.

Thank you all for the clarifications, I guess I have just been misunderstanding what I have been reading online, of a stripped lower being "other" instead of "rifle" or "pistol"

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
The lower is a stripped lower, it comes with all pieces needed to make it into a complete rifle lower. Cheap setup from Karris Guns.

Thank you all for the clarifications, I guess I have just been misunderstanding what I have been reading online, of a stripped lower being "other" instead of "rifle" or "pistol"
What did Karris call it on their website?

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Been here for just over 2 years, first gun purchase in 2 years... Don't make too much fun of me haha. Yep I have a permanent IA address and DL.
Sounds good so far. If they told you they will mail that permit, you have cleared back ground check. Trying to figure why then the FFL told you to get a permit.

Did you ever mention to that FFL what barrel length upper you will mount to it? Think carefully about this. IF, you even mentioned any length under 16", it would require him to ask for what he did.

The FFL dealers here in Scott County are pretty picky. Why, because we have two Federal Courthouses here. One in Davenport and one across the river in Rock Island, Illinois. BATF in every Federal Courthouse. And, they love to surprise Audit the FFl dealers frequently. Like once to twice every three months. And, you have a Federal Courthouse in Waterloo as I recall.

There has to be something that made that dealer raise his eyebrows. And, I'm sure he has looked at the stampings on that receiver. Have you seen those stamps on the receiver he has?? If not, you need to see them. Karris may have miss shipped the kit. Or, the receiver is not stamped to current methods.

I ran into a similar problem about two months ago with seller sending a receiver with the wrong stock. I ordered a 9mm rifle upper. Idiots shipped me the correct receiver, but the stock with it was a pistol blade stock. SOOO, it had to be registered as a pistol if I had accepted it. Which I did not. So, FFL and I sent it back to seller and they had to supply the rifle stock in my package. Then, it went right through as a rifle. No more problems.

Some thing is wrong here some where. But, we shall see soon I think. Hang in there. It will turn out OK, even if slower than usual. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, him and I talked about my build and I remember telling him the 16" barrel I was looking at to get his thoughts on it. He just got the lower in the mail yesterday, and we talked over a week ago about what I would need to get everything.

Yeah, you're right, we all get excited about something we are doing and sometimes we think time moves slower.

Thank you all for your inputs! I'll be sure to post pictures once the build is done... Not that it won't look much different than any other black gun.

·
Administrator
26,834 Posts
Not conversant with Iowa statutes, but likely that the sticking point is what you are buying is- AT THIS POINT- neither a rifle or a shotgun, kicking into the category of "other". And if the state code exempts rifles and shotguns, it does not exempt an "other". Same reason you can to be 21 to buy a bare, virgin receiver. It is an "other".

BTW, welcome to the forum- glad you found us. Don't worry if you feel that a question is silly. Silly questions are things like "Should I buy another gun?" or "Does this holster make my butt look fat?". The amount of scorn, ridicule and derision will let you know when a silly question has been asked. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
You and me both..

Your choice of doing it online was a BIG mistake! Should always just go down to your Sheriff's Office to fill out form. May take 5 days only. Wait a few more days. Can take 30 if they have any questions from the past.

Thanks for this as I also try to "let my fingers do the walking.." Remember that lol, Ma bell?

At the risk of hijacking this two year old thread.. Should I ask my question here? Or should I just go down to the sheriffs office?

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
You and me both..

Thanks for this as I also try to "let my fingers do the walking.." Remember that lol, Ma bell?

At risk of hijacking this two year old thread.. Should I ask my question here? Or should I just go down to the sheriffs office?
Might depend on what state you live in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts