introducing wife to shooting

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 1kcender, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 1kcender

1kcender New Member

Finally got the wife to the range today. Her fear of guns overcome by the years of being around them with her trust in me. So I let her shoot a old crappy sighted 22. And my glock 19 in 9mm. She liked the glock sights better and shot it the most. I let her choose. She is somewhat timid and the recoil was what bothered her most. I let her shoot bench rested and she had good groups at 15 yards. I want her to build confidence in herself and gradually build from there. She wants to take a cc class and told her I will take the class again with her. Would like to hear other ideas on what others have done to introduce there's wives into shooting. She did say she enjoyed the day together shooting so I really want to better the next range day for her. All ideas considered.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Good for you and for her. I had a fear of guns, too, for most of my life. Simply because I didn't really know anything about them but what I heard on the news. It sounds like she's off to a good start.

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Im taking my girlfriend out Friday to shoot. Hopefully she's as open as your wife was. She wasn't raised around guns and is...well almost a complete tree hugger/anti-gun left winger. Hopefully I can pull her away from all of that

4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

When I first introduced my wife to firearms, she was a bit hesitant but not afraid. Now it has become our monthly "date night".

Something you can try is have her decide on a few different style of guns to rent at the range until she finds something she is comfortable with.

My wife spends more time browsing the gun counter then she does shopping for shoes.

The upside is now she loves gun as much as I, I can always count on a few boxes of ammo when she comes home from Wal-Mart. :)

5. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

If she has never shot a gun before make sure you start her off on a .22 then let her decide if she wants to progress to a bigger caliber.

6. NativH

NativH New Member

I lucked out. On our second date she wanted to go visit friends in the country right outside of Houston. Her friends husband pulls out a new Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag with a 10.5 inch barrel and we went out the back door. Out comes my date, all 5'-2" 105 pounds of her, and proceeds to nail 6 bulls in a row. Needless to say, I married that girl.

But to this day, 29 years later, I carry and she doesn't. She keeps her Colt Detectives Special on her side of the bed. Like your woman, she doesn't like recoil so I keep her away from my 1911's and 357 Mag. But I do leave my G32 (357SIG) with her when I leave town. She seems to like the snappier recoil of that than the push of a 1911. Go figure.

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Bravo 1k, you will have to put some thought into the second range trip. It took me several months to get the wife into shooting, she insisted in getting a .357 right off the bat. Being how I wanted a SP101 I said sure, bought it and let her shoot 5 rounds of .357 mag. and she put it down and said how much she didn't like it, I loaded it up with .38 specials and she liked it much better. Then I rented a .22 target pistol and let her run thru a couple of boxes of ammo with it and then rented a 9mm for her to try. After almost a year she decided on a .380 to carry, we shopped for 6 more months for the right gun for her, with me saying yes or no to certain brands.

Once she found the right gun for her I bought it for her Valentines day gift, I know I'm just romantic like that ;), she loved it, she shoots it well and now 2 years later she wants a Colt Commander or my Kimber Ultra CDP. I also want a Colt Commander so we will have to see who ends up with it. We took the CCW class together, and try to always meet or go to the range together although she will make a girls day at the range once every couple of months.

Her mom still laughs at me for giving her a gun for Valentines day, I just remind her that I love her enough to want to make sure she is always safe.

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

My wife has agoraphobia. To the point she is on medication. Funny thing is, on the days we plan to go to the range? She gets that old fire in her eyes. She owns an old .22 bolt action rifle, a .270, a highpoint .380 she loves to shoot, and a .22 revolver, single action. It's her therapy session. She has looked at me after a couple hours and asked if I'm ready to go, and I refuse to leave until she's good and ready.
    1K, enjoy it. Let momma pick her firearm to shoot, and have a blast with her. Make it your date day, including dinner/lunch, and realize that, in the end, she'll probably out shoot you. (Don't feel bad. Happens to a lot of us.)

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah all I'm bringing are my 10/22 and my AR 223

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Are you guys sure you want your wives to know how to handle a gun? In my experience frying pans hurt enough when you get hit by them. Lol

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my wife was okay with me shooting. shot once or twice but at that time she wasnt thrilled... she just started thinking about it more recently and we started the paperwork for a ccw. we bought a ,22 pistol and she liked it. but what she really liked was my ar 15.. she even asked the other day why the ar is so much more fun than even .22's.... honestly i didnt have a good answer. but now we are going to a gunshow soon with plans of a new rifle coming home. hehe..

i would say just help her to go at her pace. try to explain the differences in caliber, recoil firearm choices.
    and if possible use fun targets. i always grab nickel n dime ceramic knick knacks at yards sales or thrift stores. they are great to shoot and watch them explode. adds to the fun. also, coal, and fruit make wonderful things to shoot at as long as you can use them where you go to shoot.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

1K,

I would suggest taking her to a gun show and let her look at an assortment of "22s" Like a Ruger Target model or that type. I you want to build he confidence and love for the shooting sport she must be comfortable and most of all acquire satisfaction with proficiency and accuracy. It is kind of like if you want to get a young person interested in fishing you take them to a place where they can catch fish and the most action during the trip you can provide. The fish does not have to be big but only they catch a lot of fish! The same is true with your wife and shooting. You referred to her as being a little timid. The last thing you want to do is here feel uncomfortable with recoil, and also the fit of the weapon or develop bad habits like a flinch, or shoot without ear protection. All which would result in a lack of accuracy and her confidence and enjoyment. As stated I would be looking into a reasonably priced good 22 target pistol with at least a 4-6 inch barrel. Once you get her hooked it will produce long term enjoyment for her as well as you. And make it easier when you want a new GUN!!! LOL!

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I believe you're right by starting her out with the .22 & then let her advance at her own pace.

My wife's problem is not a fear of guns, but a sensitivity to sudden loud noises, even when she knows they are about to happen. We are trying ways to double up on her ear protection.

She is just now starting to take an interest in overcoming it. This has been 4 years in the works! At one time, she wouldn't even go to the range with me & has only started doing that in the last year. She has finally expressed an interest in getting her own .22 pistol. It will be a Bersa which is the same size, approximate weight & identical controls as her .380.

I'm thrilled at her taking an interest, but I know that if I start pressing too hard, she could back away from it. I that were to happen, I'm afraid she'll never do it.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

SWMBO constant reminds me "till death do us part, I have a gun and know how to use it... and I'm a better shot than you".

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

My best suggestion for new/timid shooters is:

Pistol: 22lr pistol ---> Metal framed 9mm/38sp

Rifle: Rimfire rifle ---> 223 (it seems almost everyone enjoys success with an AR-15)

Always put an apprehensive shooter in a position to have fun and succeed.

16. Demonlx

Demonlx New Member

Ya I think everybody's beginner gun should be a Ruger 10/22 or something similar then move on and graduate to a handgun of a comfortable size and caliber...Maybe it's just me but I think every beginner should start out with a 22lr then maybe a 22 pistol or 9mm?..I know I did at least...Plus the Ruger 10/22 is sooo fun lol!

17. 1kcender

1kcender New Member

A lot of great sugestions. I seem to be right on track. I am going to look at a good .22 with good sights. Maybe a ruger with the high vis fiber optic sights. She did great with the 9mm glock 19 but I would really like to build her confidence more with a .22 . That and I need a god excuse for one. Lol . Thanks for all the great responses.

18. levelcross

levelcross New Member

lucky for me I do most of the cooking out on the grill.:p

19. strick23

strick23 New Member

My wife has been very pleased with her Walther P22... Aside from the occasional FTF or eject which can be alleviated with CCI rounds, it's the perfect gun for her. Just a suggestion.

20. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

I finally got a second magazine for my p22 and have since been wearing it Iwb as my warm weather carry...instead of a 5 shot snub..38sp.