Intro Nazis

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by freefall, Aug 1, 2010.

1. freefall

freefall New Member

So why do some of us respond to every new post from someone with "Hop on over to the Intro section and we'll take you seriously"? I never posted anything in the intro section and nobody said that to me. I've never read anything in the intro column. Maybe I'm shallow but I don't care where you live, don't care whether you have 3 kids or a cat, are gay, straight, or celibate. I'm interested in your thoughts on various aspects of firearms and life. Some people here I'd like to meet, some I'd go 300 miles to avoid. I've formed these impressions from their stated thoughts, not a puff piece of "Hi, I'm ....".
    So, if you want to ignore or discount any of my maunderings (some of which are eminently discountable) go ahead. I refuse to go to "Intros" and gas.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is fine. Courtesy, politeness and respect is not for everyone. Is it safe to assume that when you meet someone new, you don't offer a handshake or a "nice to meet you" either?

There is no prescribed info needed in a introduction, but forums have them because it is just good manners. I really don't care if someone wants to greet the forum in a respectful manner, but I will say that if someone just ignores being polite and civil, I tend to ignore their posts as well.

To each their own. People used to have mutual respect. Many folks these days won't even wave to a new neighbor. Maybe it is a sign of the times.

As for your take on the matter, it shows in your posts. That is my opinion. *shrug*

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

One of the reasons you will frequently see me say something like:

Some members feel it's rude to forum etiquette to just jump right in and start asking questions of an experienced forum without sharing anything.

Some would prefer to know that the person asking questions is not some troll just looking to start some drama, or worse, a Leftist who is looking to incite some "radical" postings.

Personally, I just consider the introductions to be a way for everyone to get an idea about the poster. I don't believe anyone OWES me an introduction, but it is good manners.

To each his/her own....

4. freefall

freefall New Member

So I'm ignored, sneered at and talked about because I didn't give some personal information 2 years ago? Tells me quite a lot about the crowd here. Guess I have been ignorant and naive. I'll try to give you less to sneer at in the future.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't feel that is an accurate representation of the forum here.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

See, now you are taking it personally. Tells me alot about you, since you asked for it by starting the thread...:rolleyes:

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You might want to slow down on taking shots at the "crowd." A lot of work by the administrators, the moderators, and many of the supporting members has gone into making the forum what it is. If it's not your cup of tea, go somewhere else. Throwing insults around won't get you very far.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

So who deleted the post about ignoring, sneering, etc?

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

IMO it seems to me that if a forum has an introduction section, it's only polite to post a small intro there.
    Just a simple "Hello, new member checking in from ______" will suffice.
    Nothing too personal or any credit card info required:rolleyes:

10. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever floats ur boat

there....all better now :p

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I don't throw insults around, have you ever seen me do that? I got a rather insulting response, I responded ( fairly diplomatically, I thought) it disappeared, and I'm getting jumped on. I just don't see the need to go to the intro section before I consider your posts. That doesn't make me an evil person.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That would be me. I felt the response was a bit heavy handed and not an accurate representation of the forum. I deleted it out of interest of continuity.

If you want it reinstated, let me know...

JD

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

No, it does not make you an evil person. You felt strongly enough to make a thread about it. Maybe you need to ask yourself why it matters not to you as much as it might matter to someone else? Why call out the forum for something you obviously don't care about? Feeling guilty? Just a bad day? Why even say anything at all?

14. freefall

freefall New Member

I've just seen several people ask questions to be told "Go to the intro section and we'll listen to you". I personally don't care what people have to say about themselves, I form my opinions by listening to their thoughts and opinions. I freely admit I'm a technotard, that's why I suggested a "Miss Manners" section on this forum.
    I just find it a bit irritating to see people with legitimate questions and/or points of view to be dismissed for not "introducing" themselves. Didn't mean to start a firestorm here, but I must say, I've found the opinions expressed about me most informative.

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I like the Intro section, understand it's purpose and do my best to politely encourage it's use. But I understand where Freefall is coming from. And, BTW, Freefall is a solid member that I have also encountered on other sites.

I have noticed that there have been a couple of new members who introduced themselves in the wrong section and been jumped a bit for not doing so in the Intro forum.

Some of the "suggestions" to go to the Intro section are less than polite and welcoming.

Perhaps some of the more aggressive responses to new members who are not familiar with our etiquette protocols have scared away some good people?

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Who are you? I don't normally read or reply to people who haven't introduced themselves to us..... Just saying.

I think you are really pissed off about something not sure what other than someone today and yesterday asked someone to intro themselves. Not a big deal to me weather you want to do it or not. Why is it such a big deal to you. Your lucky you didn't try and start all this drama 10 months ago. I would have been the first to pimp smack you and thrown down a ponch picture on you for this super underwhelming thread. No good is going to come from this thread and I believe it should be locked and/ or deleted.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe that most of the suggestions to go to the Intro section are polite suggestions. Most, not all: including my own. I find that the poster's response to any suggestion of doing so very informative. First impressions are the first impression, but not the last impression on this site.

18. freefall

freefall New Member

What drama? I asked a question. Several people are getting all bent out of shape and I don't get it.

19. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

You've been here two years, and this is an issue now?

What's the deeper issue at work?

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Quoted for the pure dam truth.