Interview with BATF on Wednesday...

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Scratch, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Going for my 01 and my interview is coming up this Wednesday, looking for any tips or questions I should ask, or if you have a question you'd like me to ask him.

Will be a home based business in WI, and I have my letter of Approval for the town. (no license needed)

If you can think of anything, let me know please. I'll let you know how it went.
    Can't wait to start selling!!

2. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I am no expert when it comes to being an FFL however I picked up a 1911 from a home operated FFL yesterday and the guy made it clear that he had to protect his house from intruders more than anyone else. The fact that you're a home FFL makes you a potential target for robberies so I'm pretty sure in the interview they'll ask how you plan on protecting your inventory. The guy had a huge dog, metal door and was carrying 1911 loaded at all times. That's my 2 cents :)

3. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Good luck with your interview. Hope everything goes smooth for you.

Attached Files:

4. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Yeah I've thought of that... I was a security system installer for 13 years so I have an excellent system and multiple cameras already. I also have a rottweiler and a vicious Pomeranian. And of course... I carry all the time as well as my wife who also works from home.

5. joehawk

joehawk New Member

Must have a "secure location" i.e. gun safe, gun cabinet, gun locker, or hd wire cage for your inventory I was told.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Seriusly- get a BIG legal pad, couple of good pens, some coffee, and take notes. Most of the ispectors will be about to spend some time coaching you on best practices when selling and buying. There is some good info that you want to be sure to take notes on.

Biggest obstacles on intial licensing are:1. Not being in compliance with state and local laws, and 2. Not truly intending to "engage in the business"- which IS a requirement.

Good luck!

7. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Got 2 safes... Check.

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Also pretty sure your business stock has to be secured seperately from your personal collection. Even though your retail stock "belongs" to you, it's for retail sale and not for personal gain.. Back in the 80's there were so many folks applying for 01 FFL's at $30 a crack to be able to buy guns wholesale that the BATFE changed the rules to force you to have a store front and increased the cost for the license.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Old man is correct- any personal weapon not for sale that is physically located with your sale stock must be tagged- personal weapon- not for sale. What ATF generally looks for is "secure storage"- lockable storage area. Could be a safe, room with separate lock, etc. My LGS does not store firearms in a safe- but they are not also using the store to live in.

10. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

No separation of business stock and personal collection or tagging of personal collection required. I recently got hit with an inspection upon a renewal and this was not an issue at all. The inspector liked that I had labeled shelves in the safe as "personal" and "business stock" and said she wished everyone would do that, but it was not necessary. I only did it because I'm anal with that kind of stuff...

11. joehawk

joehawk New Member

Have to wait till State permit comes in.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  12. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Basically, what they want to see is the gun safe, lockable files for your records, a sign posting hours of operation. Your "office" should look like a place of business. I had my office set up in this fashion and the inspector took not even 2 minutes to realize that I was in compliance and we moved on to other things like record keeping, etc. The agent that came here was enthusiastic about getting all of my questions answered to my satisfaction and it was a completely positive experience. He was here for probably about two hours and I picked his brain. You might want to spend some time writing down what questions you want to ask him so you don't forget when the time comes. It'd be in your best interest to take full advantage of the time spent.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

I was told when I met with my investigator that it was a requirement to either keep them seperate or have them tagged. I would say it is different for every state, every investigator.

14. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

Federal law would not vary state to state but I'm sure every investigator has their own way...

15. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

Believe it or not my investigator gave me a cd of the different states requirements and said that it saved paper to give out the cd so you could look up each states requirements. I would agree with you, I am sure the part that is federal law doesn't change but maybe the separation of personal and sale guns is just an extra law adopted in some states.

16. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Had my interview today. I wrote down all these points (and a bunch of other questions I had) and we addressed them seperately. I explained to him that I would eventually be selling in my detached garage, but for now, would be selling from my kitchen table. I would be storing the guns in my basement safes.

He was very nice, and we never left the kitchen table. He said there's no regulation about any kind of safe at all and never asked to see them, just need some sort of secure location which could even be a closet with trigger or cable locks on the guns. No need for 2 safes or even one. Not that it matters to me since I'll be having them.

Also said the guns can just be tagged seperately, no need for seperation of them, but it's a good idea. They do need to have some sort of "differentation" though... either tags or different locations.

Also... no need for: lockable file cabinets, posted signs, office area, posted sign hours, security systems, storefronts, special insurance, or business name in the paper.

The interview was super easy, and I kept waiting for him to really pound in the fact that I need to be "in this to SELL not just collect" but he only mentioned it one brief time. He said all was good to go and my license should arrive in a couple weeks! Can't wait!! Thanks for all your help.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I can't help but wonder why they want you to be selling and not collecting. Is there a collector's license other than the c&r?

18. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

The whole point of having a dealer's license is to be a dealer, not a collector. That's why they stress this point. Buying for yourself is just a perk of the license. They really don't care how many guns you buy for yourself, so as long as you are selling them also.

From an industry standpoint, I can see why this should be. If everyone that just wanted to have a number of guns became a type 1 dealer or better, why would you have to buy from a retailer. It would seriously shoot the industry in the foot (no pun intended).

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

So you still have to have a business license though correct? I mean you have to be a "business".. you just don't have to advertise if you're selling out of your home... That's what you mean right?

20. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Certain cities do not require you to have a "business license". Luckily mine does not. The ATF either needs to see a business License or a letter from the city saying they don't require one, so that's what they gave me.