Interstate concealed carry changes coming???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by orangello, Jul 22, 2009.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

I cannot find an article or link, but i heard part of a mention on CNN about some attachment to a bill that would require all but two states to honor each other's concealed carry permits.

Did anybody else see this and get a better understanding of it?

Oops* I just saw the other thread in Legal & Politics.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. gwHawker

gwHawker New Member

Nope I have not seen anything on that yet.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've heard about this. Read something on it the other day and basically it was a law that requires all states to recognize the laws of your home state. I'll use myself as an example.

I live in North Carolina and I have a CCP. Current if I go to Virginia, I have to follow their CC laws. Under the new law, Virginia would have to recognize my NC CCP and I would follow North Carolina CC laws, not Virginia. Make sense?

The 2 states mentioned are Alaska and Vermont, they have no laws concerned CC and no permits are required. I'll try to find the article I read on it. I was VERY happy to read it.

4. spittinfire

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

This has been a problem forever when carrying across state lines. I hope it passes.

OC

6. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

It didn't get the required 60 votes today.

7. spittinfire

It was short by 2, much closer then I would have though but still not enough.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Close vote by design!!

9. orangello

orangello New Member

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Actually the two states are Wisconsin and Illinois - neither of which allow CCW...

11. spittinfire

Thanks for the correction! I couldn't find the article I read but they sited Alaska and Vermont as not requiring permits for concealled carry which I assumed made them exempt.

12. OC357

OC357 New Member

Darn-it.....I don't know what is the matter with these people. It's like they think criminals are going to apply and fill out all the paperwork for a legal carry permit and wait.....and wait ....for it to go through to get a legal CCW so they can carry across state lines.........geeeeeezz

OC

13. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

In other words, for those of poor soul's that live in Illinois or Wisconsin, if we have a an out of state CCP (like from Florida or Utah), we won't be able to carry anywhere. EVEN IF WE CROSS STATE LINES TO A GUN FRIENDLY STATE!!!!!! This is crazy and sad. It's one more reason to move to a sane state. Anyone hear if this is gonna pass?

14. 1861

1861 New Member

Better yet choose better Represenitives for your gov't. :)

15. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

That's me... :(

Maybe when our governor is a Republican, our conceal carry laws will be changed. Wisconsin is kind of a mixed bag. Here in Madison, there are a lot of liberals, hence, they think gun owners are all crazy and don't want to let anyone carry a concealed weapon.

Does anybody wonder if this mindset would attract criminals? The fact that Wisconsin and Illinois residents cannot conceal carry, therefore, we're "easy targets" for criminals?

16. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

I'm not sure, but does anyone know, what would happen if you had a concealed handgun on your in a state where it is illegal to have such? Is it a felony or just a misdemeanor? I realize it would be stupid to try to do so, but they can't arrest the entire state can they?

17. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

I try to vote for better reps. But this state is full of crazies.

Some of us are just destined to fight the good fight behind enemy lines. I guess I should think of myself as a freedom fighter? ;)

18. spittinfire

stormbilly, it failed by 2 votes.

19. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Alaska and Vermont are very liberal in their gun laws, which I can't understand considering Vermont is a cesspool of political Liberalism...I don't know if there are ANY northeastern states that recognize any other states' CCW permits.

20. spittinfire

Yeah, Vermont surprised me too.