Internal and External Mags

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BigSe63xy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

If you buy a rifle with an internal magazine is it possible to use an external magazine with it?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Depends on the rifle, but usually you can replace all or part of the bottom parts ( bottom metal ) and change it over.

As long as the tolerances at the top of the external mag matches that of the internal one, your weapon should feed without a problem.

What specifically are you looking to do?

JD

3. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Nothing yet. Just trying to learn right now.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

It's possible if you're willing to modify the rifle from its original factory specs.

SKS's can be modified. Remington 700's (the ones with a floorplate) can be modified to take a mag. Other rifles can be modified as well.

Obviously, not all rifles can be modified. What's the application?

5. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I don't understand. What do you mean by application?

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

bkt is asking what kind of weapon you would like to modify, and why?

Is it a hunting rifle with an internal magazine that you wish to turn to an external magazine feed for the use as a primary SHTF rifle?

Or?????

Just merely a question as to what was driving the initial question I believe.

JD

7. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Oh I see. I was just wondering. I was just browsing rifles on the internet and I saw one with a 4 round internal magazine but I thought that was kind of small. If I were to buy that one I would probably want a larger magazine and I wanted to know if it was possible to switch it.

It was a Weatherby Vanguard .223 Bolt Action btw.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Weatherby Vanguard is a great action. It is made by HOWA out of Japan and we are a big fan of them in the shop I work in part-time.

About 4 or 5 months ago Brett, the owner and Mastersmith, completed a HOWA 1500 ( basically the same action ) build with a Wild Dog Stock ( out of Australia - expensive, but VERY tough and Real World Durable ) with a sweet Krieger bull barrel and external 10 round box mag in .308

That rifle was a tack driver and it was very cool to look at, sitting on the Harris Bi-pod with a Leupold Mark IV on top of it.

I know that particular action can have it done, but I honestly don't know if it is a "drop in" that you can do at home, or if it was "custom" that Brett did in the shop for this customer.

I can find out for you if you are truly interested.

JD

9. bkt

bkt New Member

The Vanguard does have a floorplate, so it might be possible to do without a major effort. Looking around just now, I didn't see anyplace that offers such modifications, but a gunsmith might be able to hook you up.

10. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I'm not truely interested atm. Just browsing but you guys came up with the answer I was looking for. Thanks.