Interesting new scam

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by danf_fl, Feb 28, 2014.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Look at your cell phone.
    Do you have a contact listed as "wifey", spouse, dear, or anything like that?

A woman had her purse taken. 20 minutes later, she called her husband to inform him. He replied that he got a message from her asking for the PIN to their account and provided it.

Yep, the thief sent a message to the contact labeled "hubby" and got the PIN.

By the time the bank was notified, all the money was taken out of the account.

2. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Thanks for the warning but, if my wife asked for a pin to anything I would know something was amiss. She has a memory like a steel trap and knows full well, all of our pin numbers, my SSN, DOB, POB, and is a walking phone directory/GPS. How she keeps all those phone numbers in her head is scary....

3. danf_fl

It doesn't have to be spouse.
    It can be Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother.

Never reply with a message, always confirm with a phone call if there is a request for personal data.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Good point danf!
    However we have educated our family not to give out confidential information to NO ONE and especially without verification on who they are and why! And they would take the time to recontact the person via personal voice contact to verify. As we all know with all the scams going on, even on the home, office phone, mail and other areas. But some people are so gullible it is unbelievable! Their recent government choices have no doubt verified that for sure!
    But everyone as you mentioned needs to be aware of these scams and the effects it can have on those that fall victim!

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Also, if your phone is stolen, I hear you can call your carrier, and have them turn it off, on the spot. BTW, I'm guessing that the first entry in most people's phone is their husband, or wife, or somebody important….I went out of my way to make my phone list my wife's name first.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't allow my wife to have that kinda info.:D

7. msup752

msup752 New Member

My phone has a locked keypad. 10 incorrect try's and it wipes the memory. I just have to keep it backed up on my home computer.
    My wife tried locking her devices with a long and hard password but it became so hard to type it in all the time. So she took it off completely. Mine is easy to type in and with 10 tries before wiping, the odds are 1:1000 of unlocking it.
    The telephone scam going around now is the "IRS" claiming you owe them back taxes from 2007 or so and if you don't pay up, local police will be at your house in 45 minutes to arrest you. People panic at the threat of arrest and throw caution and money to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

My wife too! Scary part, she points out things I never remember! Some of them when I stepped into her chilly!

My wife is a dog trainer and memory that is off the chart! Me on the other hand would be doing a memory dump!

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Reminds me of the guy that had his mistress number in the cell phone as "Low Battery". If she called and his wife picked up the phone and looked at it, she'd just put it on the charger.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Nobody has my PINs except my cats and they aren't talking.

11. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

............... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393623939.368328.jpg

12. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

If you have a smart phone or a tablet this is exactly what I would suggest, every electronic device I own is password protected. I also have security software on my phone, I can lock it out completely if it's lost or stolen.

13. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I would never give my wife a "pin"...she would surely stick me with it!!

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not give out that information over the phone or in an E-mail.

As for your call list, my wife is listed as restaurant. My son is listed as lawn service. My old boss was listed as assistant. My bank is listed grocer. You get the idea. Never list anything in your directory as what it actually is.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL, holy paranoid...

16. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I've been having one every day two to three times a day, posing as ADT wanting to sign me up for Security Service, come and install same day, calling from different local phone numbers all the time. Every call is a different number, after telling them 5 or 6 times I have a .45 and a bad dog, I finally told them I was calling the FCC and got laughed at. FCC said it sounds a scam especially since the lady from the supposed ADT laughed at me when I told her I was calling the FCC.

17. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

Another one going around is a recorded call claiming to be from your phone provider telling you to go to website gives URL very similar to real one with something like /prom45 on it.

Got that one hung up called verizon guy said yep scam. Gave him number from caller ID sad part is it was one of their numbers. So caller ID spoofing is still alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

We use a software package with a app on the phones that sends a remote signal and can lock the phone or wipe it and its sim card if needed. Since I have semi sensitive data on certain hippa patient info its important to be able to do a remote lock and wipe.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yup, not only that, Apple iPhones from the iPhone4 and up(we have 4S's but are swapping out and up to 5C 's on 4/1) has Find my device, if it's lost or stolen, you activate the SW( from another phone on your plan, Tablet, or you Mac running 10.7.x or later) and it fins it, and it will also lock it, wipe it, and or notify your carrier and the PD.......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. danf_fl

There is one contact that has no name, but initials.
    I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) is still used by responding personnel.