Interesting meeting at Tire Barn

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by stonesaver, Aug 24, 2013.

1. stonesaver

stonesaver New Member

So I go over to my local Tire Barn at Muncie, Indiana last weekend to buy a tire, and walk in and immediately spot a Taurus Judge in the right hand pants pocket of another guy in line. The barrel was in the pocket but the frame was definitely visible. I was carrying concealed. Indiana law doesn't specify open or concealed carry on the license. So I sit down next to the guy and ask him.."is that open carry or concealed carry".. He laughs. We sit and talk about all kinds of stuff. Nice guy. So my take is why show your hand. If I had been the BG I would have immediately spotted who had the firepower. Also on another thought..surely he was carrying with .45 and not the .410 shot shell. Or am I way off on that? Forgot to ask him.

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

I'd bet he had the .410 shells in it.

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Your right...you give up alot when you open carry. The only time i do that is when im going to or from the shop, just because its convenient (everybody OCs at the shop) or at gun club functions/cookouts /etc.

4. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

You brought up a point that I've never considered; letting the BG know who their threat is. We can carry either way in Wisconsin and I usually conceal, but love a OWB holster for comfort so go that route at times. Generally carry concealed cause I don't like the attention of people around me. This is why I love these forums, love to hear the thoughts of other people.

5. keyspike

keyspike New Member

The element of surprise is a powerful advantage. If you can carry concealed, why give away your advantage?

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Element of Surprise VS Deterent Effect has been debated to death. Personally, I've been a daily CCW guy for 17 years but I don't buy the "tipping your hand" argument against OC.

Simply no data to support the idea that a criminal would murder an OC citizen on site. Far more likely the criminal fails to notice OR does notice and decides to seek a softer target.

Tack

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree with this. I think most bad guys are too caught up in themselves and their "plan" to notice someone open carrying. I feel like they would notice cops, though. The uniform speaks loudly.

We, as CCWers and OCers notice these things. Bad guys, and the average person, prolly does not. My opinion, of course.

8. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I could not conceal one of those big handguns unless I was wearing a snowmobile suit

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Kinda off the main topic but WHEN I get my governor (basically a judge) I will load it with 3 shots of .45 (2 lc 1 acp) and 2 shots .410 buck capped off with bird shot. Lol
    Love that gun.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

here we go again ;)

11. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I carry either way. I usually carry concealed until I'm going into a place the says no weapons allowed. I then open carry just to piss them off. To this day, no one has said a thing to me about it.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Here's another topic that generates just as much heat as telling the Glock-o-philes that Glocks are not perfect.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Thank you. I tire of the debate myself. I believe I bring out the *** hole in people when it comes to this discussion.

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

I carry OWB on right hip. I leave my shirts (t-shirts, golf shirts, button downs) untucked. The guys I know that open carry say they do 'because they can' - which is secretly code for 'I welcome confrontation' and 'screw people and their fears' more so than any perceived tactical advantage or deterrent effect. I don't feel the need to start crap, be obstinate, be the subject of points and whispers, to try to alter perceptions, or to shove my rights in people's faces. I don't wear 'shoot me first vests' either. I have the choice in my state to carry open and I never do. To each their own. I like being sneaky.

15. IronmanE

IronmanE New Member

I think this debate is simple, "carry". Open, concealed, one in the chamber or not. Bottom line is if you carry you have a better chance in a confrontation. Some situations open may be better and some concealed may but I say do whatever is comfortable for you and meets the needs of the situation that you are going to be in. The main thing for me is carry as often as is possible.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Now you're just being sensible. We must therefore crucify you. ;)

17. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

When I started carrying a few years and 50 lbs ago I carried concealed IWB as the law required concealment at the time. Now FF a few years and 50lbs we have an open carry law. I realize I can OC and not have to buy bigger jeans..... yet. Yeah. I bought an OWB holster instead of jeans that fit.
    Maybe the guy in the tire barn had the same dilemma and he was still sorting it out.

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Open carry has a deterrent effect. That's common sense. It also presents your gun as a target if you do have a run in with a determined criminal. My recommendation to OCers is to get good weapons retention training and carry in a level 3 retention holster manufactured for law enforcement use. I don't have a problem with people who open carry providing they have the training and equipment to keep their gun from being snatched.

Weapons retention training ought to be part of CCP classes anyway in my opinion.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh come on.

Everyone knows that criminals these days are as sharp eyed and have the reflexes of navy seals doing a midnight raid and will put two in your chest and one in your head before you can even blink. (Green sarcasm font needed)

20. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I don't know about ninja navy seal criminals and such. But I do know the majority of line of duty (shooting) deaths of police officers occur with that officers own firearm. We wear the holsters we wear and go through weapons retention training every year for 1 simple reason: when we show up somewhere, we introduce a gun to that environment, and everyone there can see it.

How is this any different for someone without a badge and uniform who walks into a room openly displaying a gun?

I'm not saying I have a problem with it or that its a bad idea. I'm saying if that's your thing get the right holster for the job and get some good training. What's the big deal with that? It seems like common sense to me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013