Interesting Gun Store Employee

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by aandabooks, May 9, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

There is an LGS that I only make it to every couple weeks. The owner has one guy as a salesperson and he is a little different. Usually he carries a Taurus Judge and likes to tell everybody what a great carry gun it is.

Today I walk in and I just about bust a nut laughing. Today this guy is carrying pearl handle derringer strong side and a 4" Ruger GP100 crossdraw. He's got all of this on a leather belt with two speedloader pouches and two bullets in bullet loops.

Anybody else have a LGS guy that is a little over the top with the gear or gun selections?

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Buddy of mine at a LGS carries a Glock 20 10mm. Not crazy (nothing like your guy), but uncommon.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

So if we call the overly tactical guy a "Tactical Timmy", What do we call this guy?
    Un-Tactical Timmy?......maybe?..

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Why, bust my britches- it's Two Gun Timmy! :p:p

Of course, one must be mindful of George Patton's observation on who would carry a pearl handled pistol.....

"Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries pearl handled revolvers, these are ivory." (Upon being asked by an American reporter where he got his "pearl" handled revolvers)

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  6. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen a gun store employee openly carry to be honest

there's a couple employees in one of the stores here, no matter what gun you're looking at, they have that one too. except theirs is stainless or has a thumbhole stock, camo, crazy expensive scope, etc.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My nearest LGS, all employees open carry. Discreet, but open (usually an IWB, but visible). However, they have been subject to an armed robbery. They are simply businesslike about it, and an understandable choice. Also one of the better shops I have dealt with.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I think it was probably salesmanship. Drawing attention, showing off good looking guns and accessories.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I don't go into the two shops the Gouge folks anymore( one pawn and one Gun Shop), but in the Gunshop, one of the workers has a revolver on each hip, Crossdraw( one 4" and one 2.5"). In the Pawn Shop, the store manager carries an 8" revolver in a shoulder rig. When he bends over to look in the glass case he stands in front of, the bottom of the grip hits the glass case, LOUDLY!! Again, since these shops Gouge folks out of money, they care not that people can see the orig. Price they paid at Wally World, scratched out with marker ink, and a new price 2-3x the cost is written instead.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hadn't thought about it until this thread, but I have experienced a funny inconsistency. In Kalifornia, every LGS and pawn shop I visited had EVERY employee carrying, usually in a strong-side belt holster, most IWB. Even the gals in the check-cashing cage were armed and carrying on their person. Here in Ohio, LGS go unarmed, at least as far as carrying on their body, or else they are CCW. I have only seen one LGS employee/owner open carrying. The pawn shops in Ohio sell guns, but it have not seen an employee armed.

Interesting disparity, isn't it? It's probably because, since Kalifornians are generally unarmed in public, the criminals are bolder and expect to be able to use weapons to fleece the sheep. Here in Ohio, a guy was making a joke on his convenience store cashier girlfriend and said "Gimmee all your money or your dead!" And had three people draw on him. :eek: I was there and I didn't draw, but mine wasn't necessary to cause him to wet himself. Everyone decided he shouldn't joke like that again. :rolleyes:

11. hmh

hmh New Member

I dont think I have been in a local gun shop where the employees weren't carrying but I also haven't heard of any of the local shops being robbed. Most of the local shops are also pawn shops and the city that I do most of my shopping in is usually in the top 15 for most violent in America.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I frequent 2 gun shops. One is just the owner and his wife, he always OC at work. The other has probably 7 people on at a time, and they tend to OC also. But they are somewhat discrete.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most anytime i have ever been in a gun store and the people were carrying openly, it was pretty discreet. barely even noticed many times they were even carrying.

14. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have seen obviously open carry at one LGS that I go to. Nexus, where Canebrake works, the conceal carry.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is hard to rob a pawn shop when everyone in there knows you.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Most of the shops around here have employees who openly carry in the shop. Most are autos in practical, strong side or small of the back holsters. Not a lot of flash or overkill. Most of the guns seem like good practical choices like, Glock, XD, FNX, 1911, S&W M&P, Sig, S&W Revolver, etc. most calibers are 9mm, .40, .45, and .357. Nothing super exotic, nothing super cheap (no judges, no hipoints).

All seem pretty middle of the road to high end practical.

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

One time I was shopping for a holster in a gun shop. It is one that I frequent. I was talking about the difficulty of finding a good left handed holster for something or other. The guy pulls his shirt way up and says, "Get one of these." He was wearing a belly band with what looked like a kel-tec. I had though he was unarmed. It hid really well.

19. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

A guy at my LGS is all decked out in guns. He has one on each side,one in a shoulder harness,and one center back iwb. They call him Rambo there. Like DrFootball said I don't buy or go much because they gouge. But I window shop a lot and complain about their prices.

20. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Every gun store I have been to in Florida has each employee open carrying on their belts. Also most of them, not all, but most don't want you carrying in the store.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk