Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I would like to start out by sayin I'm new here to the forum. I joined up in because I have a gun that is puzzling to me and to hopefully learn more about other things as well.

Well on to the puzzling gun I picked up a interarms mark x here is the puzzling part it's chambered in 458x2" American. I had it verified by a gunsmith that that was the right round he also told me that it was not rechambered to that round. Now I have been through every gun book I can get my hands on and from what I have read and seen interarms never chambered a gun in 458 American. All the 458s were chambered in winmag or Lott.

My question is does anyone know more about the interarms co and if they chambered a few guns in American. Do I have some rare or one of a kind gun or have I just over looked something.

I'm hoping someone here can help since I see no way of contacting a company that's been out of business.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
It is a shortened common .458 and considered by some to be the ultimate North-American Big Game Cartridge. Good arm. You'll wanna reload. Brass ain't cheap to start though. I know...

Sold my .458 x 2"/American stuff...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I already know all the data on the 458 itself I learned a lot about it as I been tryin to look the gun. I got a box of winmags that I'm gonna cut down to fit.

But the same prob still remains I don't know if and when interarms chambered the mark x in 458 American.

I bought this gun it was a major project all I got was a barrel a action and a bolt I'll upload a couple of pics of what I started with and what I got it to now

·
Registered
256 Posts
I suppose it's possible that Interarms may have chambered some Mark Xs in 458x2, but it's not very likely. Are you sure the barrel is original?

Pictures would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here are the photos ignore the looks I'm still working on fitting it into the weathby stock. Also I took it to a few gunsmiths and each one said the barrel did not look to be changed out and I had a chamber casting done to be sure it was a 458 and not a 45-70

Attachments

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
That is a large ring Mauser, they also used Remington 598's, but that is pure large ring Mauser. Boyds makes great stocks and has a few to fit your rifle. This is Nutmeg.
The bottom of the receiver should be flat w/ a large recoil lug in front.
Mine dropped right in w/ little fitting.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/CLA-MAUSER-LR-1-BC-NL-UF-p/503-012.htm

Finished.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah it's deff a Mauser action I think interarms used the Mauser action on a few different mark x caliber's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts