Interarms question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by misfit, May 7, 2012.

1. misfit

misfit New Member

Hi everyone I would like to start out by sayin I'm new here to the forum. I joined up in because I have a gun that is puzzling to me and to hopefully learn more about other things as well.

Well on to the puzzling gun I picked up a interarms mark x here is the puzzling part it's chambered in 458x2" American. I had it verified by a gunsmith that that was the right round he also told me that it was not rechambered to that round. Now I have been through every gun book I can get my hands on and from what I have read and seen interarms never chambered a gun in 458 American. All the 458s were chambered in winmag or Lott.

My question is does anyone know more about the interarms co and if they chambered a few guns in American. Do I have some rare or one of a kind gun or have I just over looked something.

I'm hoping someone here can help since I see no way of contacting a company that's been out of business.

2. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

It is a shortened common .458 and considered by some to be the ultimate North-American Big Game Cartridge. Good arm. You'll wanna reload. Brass ain't cheap to start though. I know...

Sold my .458 x 2"/American stuff...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. misfit

misfit New Member

Oh I already know all the data on the 458 itself I learned a lot about it as I been tryin to look the gun. I got a box of winmags that I'm gonna cut down to fit.

But the same prob still remains I don't know if and when interarms chambered the mark x in 458 American.

I bought this gun it was a major project all I got was a barrel a action and a bolt I'll upload a couple of pics of what I started with and what I got it to now

5. natman

natman Member

I suppose it's possible that Interarms may have chambered some Mark Xs in 458x2, but it's not very likely. Are you sure the barrel is original?

Pictures would help.

6. misfit

misfit New Member

Ok here are the photos ignore the looks I'm still working on fitting it into the weathby stock. Also I took it to a few gunsmiths and each one said the barrel did not look to be changed out and I had a chamber casting done to be sure it was a 458 and not a 45-70

Attached Files:

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That is a large ring Mauser, they also used Remington 598's, but that is pure large ring Mauser. Boyds makes great stocks and has a few to fit your rifle. This is Nutmeg.
    The bottom of the receiver should be flat w/ a large recoil lug in front.
    Mine dropped right in w/ little fitting.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/CLA-MAUSER-LR-1-BC-NL-UF-p/503-012.htm

Finished.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  8. misfit

misfit New Member

Oh yeah it's deff a Mauser action I think interarms used the Mauser action on a few different mark x caliber's