Installing a Bipod

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bravo_Sixx, May 23, 2013.

1. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

I have an AR15 that I usually use shooting-sticks with, if needed. It's a free-floating heavy barrel system for more accuracy ... I don't have a bayonet lug to use the Blackhawk! bipod I have, so I bought one called "The Dragon" or something like that with the military feet but it is a barrel mount.

It clamps on the barrel near the gas-block and then a screw comes up to pinch it into place. I doubt it does anything to the heavy barrel as far as damage or anything, but has anyone had any experience with this type of mount with bipods?

thanks ;)

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I dont like any thing that clamps to a barrel. If you over tighten the set screw it might damage ur barrel. Also u said u have a freefloat forend. Clamping any thing on the barrel will reduce the accuracy of ur rig. I would get a bipod that mounts to ur forend. Spend some money now u wont regret it later. Ive been running the tango down acb-4 for a year now and its held up to alot of abuse on my 20" ar. Its kinda pricy but it works great.

Last edited: May 23, 2013

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you are looking for accuracy, clamping on the barrel is going to be detrimental. You spent good money on free floating your barrel, don't muck it up by having anything hanging off your barrel.

Get a bipod that'll mount to a sling swivel and get an adaptor with a sling swivel stud on it.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bravo,

Not good for precise accuracy! The clamp mount will effect the barrel harmonics when rested on a surface compared to shooting unrested to zero the rifle. OK for just hitting targets and basic tactical shooting. Send us some pictures of your rifle and we can provide a better answer and suggestions. Not trying to discourage or be tough on you but anything that is attached to the barrel can effect the harmonics and zero setting on a rifle. An example is putting a flashlight mount on the barrel. Zeroing the rifle and then resting the Flashlight on something. It will normally change the point of impact and obviously more as the distance to the target increases. But send us some pics and we can assist if you wish! There are great Bi-Pods out there and all kinds of possibilities that will not effect the accuracy or zero.

5. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Thanks for the responses ... I knew I'd get the accuracy answers. I was hoping someone here had used this option before. Mine was $1,200 DPMS MOE Magpul load-out with free-floating quad-rail ... I put a light and on bottom I put a Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip and it goes all the way to the end of the picatinny rail - none left. I would have to move the AFG2 back to more of a center position (I have it extened out so my left arm is more extended) and I have no bayonet lug. Right now I have two bi-pods: the Dragon clamp on and a Blackhawk! that pinches to a bayonet lug, which I don't have. This sux :(

Being an engineer, I would tend to agree with you about it having an effect, but I have no empirical evidence to support that claim. I was hoping you guys would have some experience. Neither one of the bi-pods I have will mount to the picattiny rail anyway :(

6. Sniper03

Don't Pass Out! Obama

Please do not pass out or have a coronary when I reveal the fact that I agreed with Obama 100% today on some issues! Wow! Can't believe I agree with him.

But the issue is this. This afternoon I watched the address he made on TV about terrorists activity.
    I know he has caught a lot of heat over the use of Drones on terrorists overseas.
    He also said there would be no use of any Drones on any US Citizen in the USA. *I concur!
    As far as overseas I could not agree with him more. Once a previous US Citizen is involved in terrorist training, terrorist philosophy, terrorist activity, and efforts to kill American Military and Citizens overseas! BRING THE DRONES!
    It is my opinion as it was in the speech today that once the commit to that they forfeit their citizenship and quite frankly they can go to H! So kill them all with no due process needed.

But back to closing GITMO releasing Islamic Killers of American Troops and Citizens. It was a proven fact some the let out in the past actually were back in the war and killed American Service Men and Women. And eliminating things like Water Boarding as a tool to attack terrorism which was responsible for revealing important and vital information Like Osama! Monitoring E-mail, Internet and Telephones with no probable cause, our nation is safer now than in the past! I totally disagree with him as I do on most issues! Including the attack on our Constitution, Second Amendment, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, Censoring Citizens and News Reporters, Targeting conservative groups, the IRS Scandal and on and on!

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

um did Bambam say anything about bipods? :rolleyes:
    mebbe wrong thread?

Vltor makes a b@d@ss bipod that mounts on at the 3 and 9 oclock positions. Or simply relocating your light, there's plenty of other mounting solutions.

8. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Here are some pics to see if this helps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could I use the one in the first image by knocking out the pin or something? You can see I'd have to move the AFG back and you can see how this particular one is clamped onto the barrel just in front of the gas-block ... think it would still be a problem?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. Sniper03

Sorry guys about the Obama post! It should have been a beginning Thread! I have no idea how it ended up here??????

IF ONE OF THE MONITORS FINDS THE ABOVE POST LISTED PLEASE MOVE IT FROM THIS THREAD. HOW IT GOT HERE I HAVE NO IDEA? Thanks 03 entitled Don't Pass Out! Obama.

Back to the original Thread!
    Bravo, Rock River Arms also has a Model AR3621 M-1 Rail Mount that attaches to the bottom rail of the free float quad rail. Just for additional information. Cost is around $24.00 Quick solution! Looks like you solved your issue.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Anyone take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think? I have this bi-pod that is mounted on the barrel (see pic) and I have another that I could put on that pin in image one ... what do you think?

11. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Go with the one that mounts to the sling mount ull see a better group at the range. Dont want to mess with the harmonics of the barrel.

12. Sniper03

Bravo,

My recommendation would be to get one of those attachments mentioned in my last post that will attach to the bottom rail on your free float quad rail. And then get a Harris Bi-pod or Blackhawk Bi-pod that attaches to the stud. They are good units. I use the 9" BR Model Harris Bi-Pods and used them on the SWAT Sniper Units on our 700 PSSs. Personally I do not like the ones that swivel but the stationary model. But bottom line they do not attach or have contact with the barrel of the rifle. Therefore not effecting barrel harmonics and accuracy shot to shot! What you need to remember when using a Bi-Pod the shorter the unit and the closer to the ground the more accurate it is. That is why I prefer the 9" max unit. :D

13. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

I have a Blackhawk Bi-pod that attaches to the stud ... how do I get the sling-loop off to where it's just a hole?

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

See that textured cylinder? Turn it until you can remove the sling loop. Should unscrew right off.

15. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Thanks man! But it will come out of the hole too? I never have been able too - I must be doing something wrong with it.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I have a Winchester Sling, that came with my shotgun, it has a similar hookup system to the swivel stud. I just turn that thing it opens up and pull it off. You may have to force yours a bit, but it should just come right off.

17. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Thanks bro - I will do that tonight!

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

A friend of mine gifted me this, as he no longer needed it.

Cheap Chinese Bipod Adapter from eBay

Pretty darn cheap. $11. He bought a couple of them, he says its never given him a problem, but he's not a heavy shooter. I figure this is only for the range and if it breaks on me, hey its free, and I can just go back to using my bags.

19. Sniper03

Bravo

Here is a picture of the AR3621 Adapter for putting the Bi-Pod on the Quad Rail.

Attached Files:

20. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

You have to depress that knurled barrel and turn it. That will disengage it from the other end of the post that goes through the sling swivel stud. You can then pull the post out of the stud and remove the sling swivel from the stud.

E-DUB