Insight on a 10/22 barrel

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by CourtJester, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kalgunner

kalgunner New Member

i have a GM 16 1/2 in. they are very good barrels. very good price. you won't be sorry if you get one. oh yea, and they are very accurate. if you smooth out your trigger and put a GM barrel on, you'll have a good shooter.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Green Mountain barrels are pretty good.I've used several on guns I put together for friends.

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. The insight is helpful. Nice to have the extra .02 cents pefore dropping the coin.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Green Mountain barrels are the best "budget" target barrels you can get in MY opinion. They feature nice tight chambers (unlike Butler Creek) and have fairly smooth bores. There's no reason why you can't get sub 1/2" groups from 50 yards with Green Mountain barrels.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've used them. If you want a pretty good barrel but do not want to drop a lot of money it's a great one to use.

6. safedman

safedman New Member

Barrel

I agree with the rest here.
    They are a good price and offer decent groups.

7. Canon1DsMKIV

Canon1DsMKIV New Member

I've always loved the GM barrels and I have them on all 3 of my 10/22's currently. The price is great and the accuracy improvement is definitely noticeable. Good purchase overall in my opinion.

8. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

I agree. I bought mine specifically for Silhouette matches about eight years ago. It was sure capable of doing better than me. These days, it's on the bench for me. A GM barrel is a best buy IMO.

9. CourtJester

Outstanding guys.
    I'll get one ordered over the next week or so.

I got this in the mail today...

[​IMG]

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

For a second there, I thought you ran over your Ruger in a Honda! :D

11. CourtJester

Not a huge honda fan

[​IMG]

Yamaha or Suzuki... Yeah.

12. CourtJester

I got one ordered today.
    Anyone on here replaced a barrel? I've never done it before. Much at all to it or is it pretty straight forward?

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

All you do is take it out of the stock and there's a V clamp with 2 allenhead screws in it. Remove the 2 screws and the clamp. The barrel will pull right out. You MAY have to sand the shank of the new barrel if it fits too tightly. I assume you bought a bull barrel? If so then you'll either have to inlet the existing stock for the bigger barrel or buy another stock.

14. CourtJester

Thank you sir. Sounds easy enough. And yeah. I got the weighted bull. It should fit into the new stock. Hope so anyway.

15. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Pretty straight forward. Just don't over tighten the v-block and be sure to index your ejector slot.

16. CourtJester

Thank you.
    That was pretty easy too. Took about 2 minutes total. are there any torch specs for the bolts? I have a bad habit of over tightening ****. Seriously. I've broken a lot of **** by over tightening nuts and bolts.

17. CourtJester

I got it today.
    I ordered the 19.5 inch barrel but they sent the 16.5 inch barrel but they only charged me for the 16.5 so I'm cool with it. I'll build up another one for son later this winter and maybe give him the shorter one.
    There's a little sanding to do at the bottom of the stock and I'll shoot it a few times and send the trigger grouping off to Stalkingbear

[​IMG]