Inquirey About Black Powder

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Sniper03, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I need the answer to my question. Dealing with Black Powder as we all know can be very dangerous. So I need someone that knows for sure how to perform the following. Or SAFELY simply just to leave it as is!

I have a Red Metal Antique Can 1 LB. of DUPONT Superfine FFF Gun Powder of Wilmington Delaware - E.I. Dupont De Nemours & CO. Inc. Wilmington DEL. USA - M.IND.RGTRDA - No. 23752 DE. 29DE July 1924. I have had the can myself for over 35+ years.

I wish to keep the Antique Can. My question is it safe to keep the Powder in it after all this time. I have heard of Black Powder changing to a more dangerous state after being stored for years ??????

And if I choose to empty the can I was afraid of screwing off the Metal Screw On Cap for fear of generating a possible spark. Is that safely possible to unscrew it ? I sure would not want to drill in the can to empty it!:eek:
    SO I am reaching out to someone who might know for sure! Or point me in the direction of some person who would.
    Dupont FFF.JPG
    Thanks 03

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The lid should have kept it good and dry. I should be safe to open and empty. But lets wait for C3's response.

Ghost1958 likes this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

My neighbor still has goex. That came in the tin can. He said the 4f he has he cant remember how old it is. But it still works. Im using it in my flash pan. Ao you may want to save what you have. It is a cool can too you have.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm still shooting powder out of two identical cans. That style can was still in use in the 1960's when I started shooting black powder. Both of mine are FFFFg for priming my flintlocks, so a pound lasts a very long time. Black powder sucks up moisture and moisture promotes rust/corrosion. Dupont made all forms of black powder for many, many decades - blasting, etc. Never had a problem with DuPont (unlike some of the substitutes).

The only major problem I've had was when I left an assortment of powder on a couple of shelves and some really old military rifle powder corroded through the cans. Kept dry, my 60-year old DuPont still grabs the spark off the frizzen and works just fine.

6. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

It is true that real black powder does become a bit more sensitive over time, but we are talking about a long time here. 100+ years.

Obviously moisture is the worst enemy of black powder, so if you do take the powder out of the can and want to use it, pour it out on a tray and put it in a warm area to dry out any moisture that built up in the can.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    sheriffjohn likes this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

This issue of "Nuzzle Blasts" - National Muzzleloading Rifle Association magazine has an article on old black powder. Using a chronograph on four samples, one nearly 100 years old, found very little difference in old vs. new black powder. With only three components, there's not a lot to go wrong if kept in a properly sealed container.

On the other hand, I've thrown away containers of Pyrodex (one-pound plastic) and pellets that did go bad after being opened. Some of the pellets "fizzled", came out of the muzzle still partially intact. Plus, that stuff don't smell right.