input on vacation carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by hawkguy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i am looking at a vacation through various states from texas. i haven't made final decisions on which road trip i will take for sure, but i have narrowed down a few states i might drive through.

they might be: colorado, kansas, lousiana, mississippi, alabama, florida or georgia.

i know all have a reciprocity for texas CHL, but i am not aware of all the ins and outs of the gun laws in each state related to personal or vehicle carry.

does anyone know a good source to get this info accurately and quickly? or is it possible some posters from these states might chime in with anything in particular i need to be aware of?

thanks so much for any info.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a ccw for Colorado. You are correct. Your permit is good here. You can carry in your car. No problem. You can also carry anywhere in the state that does not have a metal detector checking for guns or a security guard wanding people. Private property owners have the right to refuse guns on their property. But they are supposed to post a sign. Post offices and federal buildings are off limits, as are schools.

3. DP03

DP03 New Member

There is an awesome app for this called CCW. Search for it in the App Store for iPhone or Google Play for Android. This app lets you check which permits you have, gives you maps of where you can carry, gives the current laws by state, and will always tell you the laws in your current location. I think its .99 or 1.99. Best app I've ever downloaded.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Look at:
    www.handgunlaw.us

Pretty much the concealed carry bible for travellers.

5. hawkguy

thanks guys. unfortunately, i am far too cheap to own a smart phone! :p

but, i did come across this link for anyone interested. seems pretty thorough, but i have only skimmed. might be a good quick resource though.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

6. hawkguy

dammit, you musta beat me by a like a second! thanks! :D

7. hawkguy

the signs in texas are very specific (30.06 signs, 51%), what is the signage in colorado like?

8. phildenton

phildenton New Member

you beat me to it, it is a pretty good app, I do recommend it. always validate tbe accuracy by checking with specific jurisdictions, most are available online.

sent from mobile app

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I use legal heat. Cost a dollar or so. Worth it.

10. Rick1967

Colorado does not have actual requirements for certain types of signs. But the signs don't carry the weight of law anyway. If you ignore them they can tell you to leave. If you leave without making an argument there is not much they can do. If you argue, then it becomes trespassing.

11. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Pretty much everything Rick1967 stated regarding CO applies to KS as well, except we do have very specific guidelines in place as to what constitutes an official "no guns" sign. If the sign is legit and you get caught carrying, it's a potential misdemeanor and carry suspension. Not sure how that would effect an out of state guest though.

12. hawkguy

good info. thanks!

this are the kind of regional differences that are good to know. exactly what i was hoping to learn in this thread.

in texas, the signs must be specific or they can be ignored. but not signs are required at places CCW holders should know not to carry (like schools, gov buildings).

13. Rick1967

I think that Texas does not allow cc in churches. Colorado almost requires it.:D

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Actually the church thing for Texas is old info. You now can. Don't know when exactly it changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk