Inmates To Fight Fires

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PanBaccha, Dec 7, 2011.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Good idea. Putting non violent inmates to work will only help. Some might get some job experience and education that would keep them from being repeat offenders. Farm labor would be another field. I know some inmates are working with horses and some are building furniture. Some repair and refurbish state equipment. Then of course there are license plates where they really dont learn anything.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

I think it's a good idea as JTJ said

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, good idea. Teach them a skill, show them that they could get an adrenaline rush from doing GOOD things. Let them experience the good feeling of helping others. It could only do them good. Just like the prisoners who learn to train dogs.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I say its a good idea, its a good way for them to give back to the community

6. rugernut

rugernut New Member

I think we should send them to the military

7. rugernut

rugernut New Member

There siting in. The air conditioning will are troops are over there in 115 d weather we should teAch them to fit and make them spend a couple years there

8. rugernut

rugernut New Member

But making them fit fire isn't all bad of an idea

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Egads, man- don't do the military favors like that!!!

Few miles up the road from me is the State Industrial Farm. The inmates there grow food used in all the state prisons, as well as state hospitals, etc. They also make furniture for state facilities, rebind books for libraries, repair state vehicles, make bricks, etc ad nauseum. The clothing shop used to make police uniforms for the State.

Inmates would RATHER work than sit in a cell and stare at the walls. Ones in the Super-Max high security prison get out of the cell 1 hour a day.

Unfortunately, for many, it is not lack of education or job skills that put them in the slammer. It was lack of judgement or lack of morals. Easier to kick the door of someone's house and steal their TV than to work on a paving crew raking asphalt, or sell crack on the corner instead of swinging a hammer.

BTW, there have been inmate Forest Fire crews around for ages.

10. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I'm all for having misdemeanor inmates working in public & paying there own way.

If they have been convicted of felonies might as well let them rot in there cells. Once you get a felony your life is pretty much over with. You can either work @ fast food or just become a career criminal.
    One of the biggest problems with are legal system is something you did when your 18 can haunt you till your 99.

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Good idea if done right.

I had a few construction projects where my crew were DOC inmates. One of them was renovating the Governors house! :O

I have a DOC officer with me most of the time though and the inmates are all illegible for parole in a year or so. They are paid a quarter per hour and their sentence is reduced by the number of hours they work as well. It gives them extra motivation to work on top of being out of their cells. From what I've heard, there was a waiting list...and if any of them misbehave they are easily replaced.

12. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

CA Forestery has been doing that for years during high fire times.