Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Uncle lives in New York and I live in Nevada, he wants to send me a rifle.

From my research we will need to do the following:

Find a FFL near me and get their shipping info (will they need my info too?)
Make sure rifle is unloaded
Package rifle In well padded unmarked box
Ship via USPS (will he need to declare it is a rifle in the box?)

Once the FFL has the rifle, I'll go in and pass the NICS background check.

Besides this am I missing anything else?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1,485 Posts
@turbo8 - Welcome to the site. Please wander over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. You will also want to familiarize yourself with this thread (it has good information on the site): So yer new here, huh?

To answer your questions, I think you are headed in the right direction. Your uncle's post office will be able to give him the information he needs to send the rifle. Your local FFL will be able to tell you what they need from you.

Reactions: turbo8

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
11,184 Posts
If it's a bolt action rifle remove the bolt and wrap it up in bubble wrap. Keep it separated. You can't use enough bubble wrap or stuffing either. The gorillas at whichever shipping service you use enjoy throwing stuff around.

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Turbo
Welcome to the Forum great people here. And be sure and do what the Gnome suggested and introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.

First of all, start here:

Federal law allows an individual to ship a firearm to a licensee in another state. However, beyond the federal law, many FFL's will only accept shipment from another FFL. Best check with the FFL you plan on using & see if he will accept shipment from an individual, or whether he's in the CYA mode & wants an FFL to ship the weapon to his location.

The obvious reason is in the event it would be a stolen gun. Not necessarily by the person sending the weapon but possibly the owner of the weapon had no knowledge it had been stolen previously.
If your FFL will not accept an individual gun shipment, in this case your uncle will also need to find an FFL to ship it to your FFL.

And yes, certainly unloaded.
And yes, in an unmarked cushioned box

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Turbo
Here is some more information from UPS
  • Ship firearms vis UPS in new corrugated packaging.
  • Ammunition must ship separately from packages that contain a firearm.
  • Shipper must use the UPS Delivery Confirmation-Adult Signature Required service (Your Dealer's Signature)
  • Shipper must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
  • Lastly, labeling and box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as a firearm.
Additional Tips for Shipping Guns with UPS
  • Place multiple labels on the package to prevent accidental or purposeful label removal.
  • Use a larger box that makes it more difficult for someone to steal.
  • Finally, purchase shipping insurance by placing a higher declared value than the standard $99.

Reactions: Gunz and turbo8

·
Premium Member
15,668 Posts
Costs more but he could get a local FFL to ship to your FFL.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I've had rifles made out of state and shipped to my FFL here. They do take the bolt out and separately wrap it in bubble wrap inside the case with the rifle, put it in an inexpensive foam lined plastic gun case, then box it.

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Turbo

I know you probably will not shoot it that much but ammunition is still available for it although expensive.
You're looking from around $53.00 for 20 rounds and up. I saw Midway USA had been offering it for around $30.00 but discontinued it. But that is a nice rifle. If your uncle has any ammo for it, you might check to see what it would cost to have him ship it to you!

·
Administrator
27,356 Posts
Have uncle include a xerox of his driver's license with the rifle so the receiving FFL can log it into his "bound book". Hard plastic case inside cardboard outer box is good. Can LEGALLY ship by UPS or US Mail- but do not expect post office people to know their own regulations (it's page 104 of their publication 52) If you have a receiving FFL, check and make sure they will receive from a non-FFL- its legal but some FFLs are goosy about it. If you need to locate a FFL at your end, go to gunbroker.com, use their "find a FFL" tool. If Uncle does not use hard gun case, use about 4 inches of crumpled paper or bubble wrap at muzzle and buttplate inside the box. Shippers seem to like throwing long thin boxes like a spear.

·
Premium Member
6,904 Posts
Turbo
Here is some more information from UPS
  • Ship firearms vis UPS in new corrugated packaging.
  • Ammunition must ship separately from packages that contain a firearm.
  • Shipper must use the UPS Delivery Confirmation-Adult Signature Required service (Your Dealer's Signature)
  • Shipper must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
  • Lastly, labeling and box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as a firearm.
Additional Tips for Shipping Guns with UPS
  • Place multiple labels on the package to prevent accidental or purposeful label removal.
  • Use a larger box that makes it more difficult for someone to steal.
  • Finally, purchase shipping insurance by placing a higher declared value than the standard $99.
Sniper, his uncle cannot personally ship any gun via UPS. None. He can only use USPS himself personally.

"
Definitions:
“Firearm” will have the same definition as set forth in Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53, of the United States Code.
“Firearm Part” is any part or component of a Firearm that does not by itself meet the definition of a “Firearm.” By way of example only, Firearm Parts include, but are not limited to, barrels, stocks, grips, firing pins, sights, and magazines/clips.
“Firearm Products” means Firearms and Firearm Parts. The term Firearm Product does not include scopes.
UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
To transport packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing Firearms or Firearm Parts complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions. All Firearms and Firearm Parts shipments must also conform to the terms, conditions, restrictions, and prohibitions set forth on this page at the time of shipping, in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping, and in the approved UPS Firearm Products agreement."

The UPS most recent requirements contained below need to be read and understood by every gun owner. Critical things to get used to before running into a problem.

In addition, FedEx has the same rules it seems.

·
Supporting Member
14,871 Posts
Turbo
Keep us informed and send us pictures when you get it! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts