Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My father recently handed down a s&w revolver and I was looking for some info on it. Does anyone know if there is an online database with the info based on the serial number

·
Supporting Member
12,631 Posts
rurak,

Usually you can Google S&W production dates and you can find what you are looking for. If we knew the serial number sequence (Not the exact number) Example: K-64574- K-65000 for example, and the model of the pistol we would be glad to assist. A picture of the pistol would be great also.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the barrel is says 38 s&w special ctg. I can't find any other numbers or markings other than serisl k92##66

ForumRunner_20130315_123451.jpg

ForumRunner_20130315_123503.jpg

Note the rust on the extractor rod. I've never owned a revolver so I'm not sure what all the parts are called. Its got a lot of tarnish any rwcommwndations for cleaning it up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just called s&w .... it was made in 69 and its a model 15. So besides the sentimental value is it anything special.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Well I just called s&w .... it was made in 69 and its a model 15. So besides the sentimental value is it anything special.
Well, its a nice example of a early S&W & a heirloom :)
Anything "special"? ----no sir-
My wife has a earlier Victory Mdl her father carried as a LEO way back when-

·
Retired
13,651 Posts
I don't care what the others think.
To me, any heirloom is "special".

·
Administrator
26,573 Posts
You have a very well made revolver that has a bit of history to it. Durable, accurate and reliable.

Some info for you- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_15

To read the model number, open the cylinder. Model number would be stamped on the frame, covered up by the cylinder crane when cylinder is closed.

Your revolver is nickel plated. This was done as a protection from corrosion (pre-stainless steel). Do NOT use a highly abrasive cleaner of any type, or you will abrade your way thru the electroplating. There are polishes intended for use on nickel- check with a good silver shop. Myself, I use a product called Flitz, soft cloth, hand polish only- no power tools.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
Nickel polishes very well with just a good grade of toilet paper. Not kidding. Not the cheap rough stuff.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is special to me I meant if it would be special to collectors. I stripped it and cleaned it as best I could. The finish is pitting In some spots and it has some rust spots under the grips. My father said he used to carry it on his boat (saltwater commercial fisherman) and the barrel was very dirty. It functions well and looks ok. Anything I can do to the chrome to fix the pitting?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts