inherited revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by rurak, Mar 15, 2013.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

Hey guys. My father recently handed down a s&w revolver and I was looking for some info on it. Does anyone know if there is an online database with the info based on the serial number

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

rurak,

Usually you can Google S&W production dates and you can find what you are looking for. If we knew the serial number sequence (Not the exact number) Example: K-64574- K-65000 for example, and the model of the pistol we would be glad to assist. A picture of the pistol would be great also.

3. rurak

rurak New Member

Ok 30 mins and I will post a pic ..... its a little rough ... he's not big on maintaining his firearms :( serial is k92##66

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. rurak

rurak New Member

On the barrel is says 38 s&w special ctg. I can't find any other numbers or markings other than serisl k92##66

ForumRunner_20130315_123451.jpg

ForumRunner_20130315_123503.jpg

Note the rust on the extractor rod. I've never owned a revolver so I'm not sure what all the parts are called. Its got a lot of tarnish any rwcommwndations for cleaning it up?

5. rurak

rurak New Member

Well I just called s&w .... it was made in 69 and its a model 15. So besides the sentimental value is it anything special.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, its a nice example of a early S&W & a heirloom :)
    Anything "special"? ----no sir-
    My wife has a earlier Victory Mdl her father carried as a LEO way back when-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't care what the others think.
    To me, any heirloom is "special".

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Tis indeed----
    I have 4 & they are in no danger of leaving home :)

9. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I agree.

To the OP you could probably find a replacement ejector rod for it if you did some searching.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You have a very well made revolver that has a bit of history to it. Durable, accurate and reliable.

Some info for you- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_15

To read the model number, open the cylinder. Model number would be stamped on the frame, covered up by the cylinder crane when cylinder is closed.

Your revolver is nickel plated. This was done as a protection from corrosion (pre-stainless steel). Do NOT use a highly abrasive cleaner of any type, or you will abrade your way thru the electroplating. There are polishes intended for use on nickel- check with a good silver shop. Myself, I use a product called Flitz, soft cloth, hand polish only- no power tools.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Nickel polishes very well with just a good grade of toilet paper. Not kidding. Not the cheap rough stuff.

13. rurak

rurak New Member

It is special to me I meant if it would be special to collectors. I stripped it and cleaned it as best I could. The finish is pitting In some spots and it has some rust spots under the grips. My father said he used to carry it on his boat (saltwater commercial fisherman) and the barrel was very dirty. It functions well and looks ok. Anything I can do to the chrome to fix the pitting?

14. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks you to everyone for your knowledge