Info/ Opinions on SD40VE

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by WeeMan9194, Nov 7, 2012.

1. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

Anybody have any good info or personal opinions on the SD40VE... Worth the money, decent gun, etc.

2. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I have the sd9ve which I carry everyday. It has been a great and reliable shooter, most ammo shows no differences. The stock trigger pull is great if you carry, I have the apex duty trigger spring kit which dropped the weight from 5.5lb to 3.5lb. For the price it is a great gun, the only con that I have with it is the guide rod and spring are lacking

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

The S&W Sigmas are truly awesome poly guns. I shoot my bosses all the time when we go out. Great plinker, a bit oversized for concealed carry, although he does with it.

4. Malachi

Malachi New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the guide rod and spring?

I'm getting an SD40VE next week. My father has it now and really seems to like it.

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

The guide rod is plastic (polymer). I had one break on me. It was a $5 fix so no bid deal but it was still irritating,

6. THEMENACE

THEMENACE New Member

I have had the sd40ve for a few weeks now. Put a few boxes through it, including some crappy reloads. Ate everything up. Very accurate. The sights suck and need to be replaced though, crappy painted polymer and the front always catches on the holster. Only bad thing I have to say about it though. Quality was much higher than I expected, although I could see where the guide rod could be an issue. I like mine a lot, and carry it.

THE MENACE

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Guide rod holds the recoil spring and attach to the tail of the barrel under the chamber and behind the feedramp, and are usually separate parts. Not all guns have guide rods, in my experience many if not all fixed barrel handguns don't use them. Also in my experience all floating barrel handguns do use them, caliber may play some role in this as well.

8. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I had a 40ve and it worked flawlessly till a buddy of mine shot some 9mm out of it. One new barrel later and it was back to working great. But it just did not fit my hand and I could not stand the 12 pound gritty trigger and crappy sights so I ended up selling it to the guy that almost blew it up.

9. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

I thought the trigger weight on the newer models was 8 lbs...?

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Hahaha this is one of the few reasons I'll never do a 40s&w firearm. I could easily see it happening in a situation where a bunch of buddies get together to go shooting and there's a pile of guns to shoot.

11. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

WeeMan If it was that was the heaviest 8 lbs Iv ever pulled.
    Beyondthebox That is exactly what happened. We had 6 different pistols sitting on the tailgate of my truck all of them were 9mm except for that one.

12. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

Was it the SD40VE or the older model sigma? I believe the SDVE just came out 2012. I know the sigma had like a 15 lb trigger while the newer model is around 8... I believe

13. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I know it was a VE model just cant remember if it had the SD in front. I got it in 2007 when I turned 21. It was my first pistol.

14. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

If it was 2007 that would be the sigma sw40ve, those did have a trigger around 12lbs

15. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

Yea I meant the new models. Sorry about confusion.

16. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Youre right big just checked s&w's web page and that is not the gun that I had. I figured that they would have either dropped the sigma line or at least quit developing it now that they have the m&p line that is so much better.

17. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

The sd series does not carry the sigma name. They keep it around because it has the lower price point for a good pistol.

18. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

How do u think the sd compares to the mp?

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Pretty sure they were made in the 90s. My boss has had his a few years at minimum.

20. WeeMan9194

WeeMan9194 New Member

The sdve model is new this year. It's supposedly a combo of the sigma and the sd. Taking their place. It's smiths model under the mp.