Info on personal weapons in the military.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Kenney, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

My friend is joining the military soon and like me is obsessed with guns. He wants to get into special forces and wants to know if and when he can carry his personal. Anyone know off hand?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

When/if they give him permission.
    Unlikely.

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I honestly don't understand why they don't let him. With the track record the 92 in the military, why wouldn't they?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They have been cracking down on non-military tested and approved accessories even.

5. Sideswipe

Sideswipe New Member

It would have to be approved from chain of command. We tried to bring along a few 10.5" barrel uppers and they axed that idea pretty quick. Depends on theater of operations as well. If your buddy wants to go Special Operations, I would recommend he focuses on even getting into the school before he worries about what weapon he gets.

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

The man makes most gun nuts look like a hobbyists. If it were up to him he'd be carrying half his collection. That said, he makes me look like super man (I weigh 144 and bench 210, he's about ten pounds less and barely do his own.) Frankly I'll be amazed if they even consider him.

7. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Let's wait until he makes it through the "Two Weeks of Hell" which he'll need to make it through to even be considered for special forces. Assuming he doesn't drop out, which the majority will, he still has a chance of not getting selected even after surviving the two weeks.

8. Kenney

Kenney New Member

He's shooting for the air force TACP unit. I know this because the bastard won't shut up. That improve his situation any?

9. Sideswipe

Sideswipe New Member

Lol. He won't make it.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Oh. I assumed Army Special Forces. Still, getting into air force tacp is no cakewalk. And he'll most likely be right on the front lines imbedding with Marines and Army units. Tell him to get into shape.

Best of luck to him.

Have him take a look at this.

http://www.airforce.com/pdf/ebrochure/tacp/#?page=2

11. Kenney

Kenney New Member

(Evil grin) Oh the fun I will have.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In GENERAL- all US military puts rather stringent limits on firearms that can be carried/ used on duty for a couple of reasons-

One- supply. Commonality of spare parts, magazines, and ammo.

Two- Commonality of use. M16s have a given range, rate of fire, etc. Delighted that you love your 1903A3 Springfield. How is that gonna work for house clearing?

Three- legalities. There are trifling little things like the Hague Accords, law of Land Warfare, etc. Issued weapons meet those standards. Non-issued- maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Your friend has a LOT to prove before he will be concerned about much beyond a full canteen and bug repellent. While all special warfare selection is heavily slanted towards physically challenging, MOST people bomb out on the MENTAL challenges they did not see coming. Does he know the miniumum standards set by his prospective branch to APPLY?

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I suspect that it happens, but I also suspect that it is among well established personnel with a bit of rank who know what they can & can't get away with.
    Jim Bob the newby needs to worry about plenty of other things first.

14. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Are you talking about the asvab? He got a 90 something. Little mongrel's smart.

15. Sideswipe

Sideswipe New Member

Well said C3, sometimes it is a battle to bring my own magazines places. As for trusting troops with weapons... Well, I still don't trust some of mine who did graduate training, some with excellent marks. And not to mention getting into schools... It's a pain in the ass to say the least. I finally scored a slot for a school I've been wanting for years.

16. Sideswipe

Sideswipe New Member

ASVAB means about nothing, and his overall score means nothing. His GT score is what they care about, and even more so is his ability to apply said knowledge and skills under pressure.

17. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

No you can't use your own weapon while on active duty. I know that is the army's policy.
    1 he will need to keep it in the arms room while he lives in the barracks. Or off post. But Then it needs to be registered with the provost Marshall office. Before you can bring it on post.
    2 want to go shooting at the range or hunting with your own weapon on the weekend better ask your CO first to get it out of the arms room . On Friday cause no one will be there Saturday to let you in the arms room.
    3 does he want every Tom, Dick, Harry messing with his stuff? Cause that's going to happen to while it's locked up in the arms room.
    Tell your friend to worry about making it through basic and then his secondary Mos training before he worries about can I bring my own guns with me. Selection into any school is not easy and there's a reason why.

18. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

tell your friend not to worry about having his firearms on post because on his days off all he is going to want to do is drink and chase girls. At least thats all me and my buddies did on our days off. I did not feel like picking up shooting again until about 12 years after I got out of the Army.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

SSGSF said it all, no carrying private weapons on duty, ever. If you live in the Barracks, they are in the arms room. All weapons that are carried on duty must be accounted for and approved by higher command. I cant remember a single case in 21 years of anyone carrying anything resembling a weapon that wasnt 100% issue other than Knives.

That was WW2 high brass, The Old National Guard and special operations with special duties carrying non standard weapons way back when. As My drill used to say, If the Army thought you needed it, it would be issued!

Good luck going for the gusto, if you make it, your gonna have plenty of fun with really cool guns, explosives and other interesting things. I suggest you start by working on your Pushup, Situp and 2 Mile run, do them all of the time and then deprive yourself of sleep and do it again. If you can max those out without sleep before you try to enter, its a good start!

20. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Lots of great advice in this thread, I suggest your friend take a look at it.