Info needed on Browning Auto-5 16 ga.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dragtruck, Oct 6, 2012.

1. dragtruck

dragtruck New Member

I've got a Browning 16 ga. auto 5 that's pretty old. It has the safety on the front of the trigger guard and the barrel is plain, no rib. The bluing is great (I would say about 98%) and the wood has no scratches, just a few small dents no bigger than the thickness of a quarter. It has the round knob on the butt stock. The serial number is 1232**, and the numbers match. Brownings web site says it was made 1901-1939. Can anyone narrow this down to the exact year? Also, what would this gun be worth? I've dealt with quite a few Brownings, but nothing this old. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

The records for most browning firearms pre 1939 are hard to come by and are basically non existent for the auto 5 but you may have some luck with other members

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I heard yours was made in 1938. sorry I can not say positive. the 16's were numbered separate from the 12 gauge( I think).

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

oh yours is a 2-9/16" chamber so you should not shoot 2-3/4" shells in it (I think). I'm not much of a Browning guy.

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I would find an authorized Browning dealer in your area. Most Browning dealers can tell a lot by the serial number. If your gun is really cherry they might make an offer. I would consider the offer. if you can find a Browning only auction you will likely get top dollar. You don't have to take the first offer. I they really want your gun they will make a better offer at another time.

I have a pair of Colt Diamondbacks my gunsmith really wants. Every year or so he makes a better offer. He will usually try to snag my Colts when he knows I have just spent a bunch of money. Every time I bring one of the Diamondbacks in for service he keeps it for a week. He usually manages to squeeze in some range time. I can tell he has been to the range...he adjusts the sights for his ammo.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If your serial# is numbers only and has no letters, the year of manufacture would be in 1927.............

Jim..

8. dragtruck

dragtruck New Member

Thanks for the info. My serial number is all numbers, no letters. It's not a "sweet sixteen". Any ideas on what it's worth? I found a similar gun on another web site (a gun auction board) that was at $575 but it hadn't sold yet. Mine appears to be in a little better shape than this one. This seems cheap for a gun this old that's in such good shape. I hope it's worth more than this much because I've got more money in it. I was hoping to be able to sell it for $750 - $800. Thanks again for your help.

9. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

What people ask on auction sites means nothing, only what it sells for. Yours is not a "sweet sixteen" and is old enough that it can not shoot 2-3/4" shells. While it is nice I would be surprised if you could get $500 for it from a knowledgeable person.

10. dragtruck

dragtruck New Member

Hate to hear the value. I took it in on trade on a browning double barrel and allowed the guy $600 for it. I guess I should have done some research before I traded for it. It was so old and in such nice shape, I thought I could make a few bucks. Even though the news was bad, you guys are great and this is a really helpful web site. Thanks for all the help.

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you want to shoot this gun there are three options you have. If you reload, you can easily load 2 9/16" shells, though you might have to buy a roll crimp tool and roll crimp them. This is easily done w/ a roll crimp tool (available from ballisticproducts.com) and a hand held drill. You can buy 2 1/2" shells from Ballistic Products or from Polywad, or you can have a gunsmith convert the gun to shoot 2 3/4" shells. My gunsmith in Ft. Meade, FL says he has converted many of them. That might be your best option. Any gunsmith worth his salt can perform the conversion. The collector value would be gone, but there is not much collector value there anyway.
    cottontop