Info needed on AMT Backup II .380

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Jan 11, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Saw it, used, at a local broker and like the design, although the finish looks like pot metal, hoping I can brush that out myself if I get it.

The shop keeper said they were a hit and miss item and because the company is no longer, the only warranty would be the stores 60 day. The things that pop up on a google search, however, lead me to believe that there were more with issue than without. He also said this one was the SAO version.

Of course it's always the bad eggs that get the most forum publicity. Still, just curious if anyone can give me more insight.

Sounds like the first run were the most problematic because of safety concerns amd jamming. I'm hoping that the second edition got it right. Any owner experience out there?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The first thing I would ask is what are they asking for it. There are a lot of good small pistols out there today. AMTs were ok but never was too impressed with their machining. I had an AMT Hardballer 45 ACP one time. They had some great ideas but something never seemed just right!

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

300, figured I'd haggle down to about 250.

What I really wamt is a Sig P238 HD, but new it'd be 600. I want something for now that will tide me over until I get the available funds.

I was originally looking at a Jimenez Arms 380. Sharp lookin piece and I've shot their 22 and loved it. So I'm going to do something, whether it be the AMT or Jimenez. The AMT looks more like the P238 and Colt Mustang, which is why I'm interested, but I want to get as much info as I can before I purchase. That includes experienced users' thoughts.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For $250 you can buy a used Ruger LCP, a pistol that functions. The Backup"s are a very poor choice. Few are fully functional. A friend bought one (against my advise) and he has never emptied the magazine without a jam.

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I would steer clear of it. AMT is known to be a Jam-O-Matic. Get a Ruger LCP first. For 300 you can get a new LCP.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I already have a LCP. I want something similar but with a silver slide to accompany it.

7. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I still would stay clear of the AMT.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, that sounds like the popular vote.

9. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I bought one new maybe 20 years ago, (orig. AMT Backup) As already said, parts of the frame & slide were sharp enough to shave with.

Never could get off more than 3 or 4 rds without a jam. I kept it around a year then traded it for a Colt Mustang.

If you want something similar to the LCP but with a silver slide, I see a lot of these a local gunshows -- Ruger® LCP® Centerfire Pistol Models -- wouldn't mind having one myself. Its a lot flashier than my plain-jane LCP!!

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Does it have the grip safety or is it the DAO version? I had a DAO and had zero problems with it. Sold it because I was no longer allowed to carry it for a back up on duty.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Grip safety.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Well I decided not to. I'll just wait until I can afford a p238. I did, however just pick up a Jimenez 9mm. Plan on polishing the feed ramp to prevent the jamming problems they're known for. At that point I should have a pretty good gun for a really cheap price.