Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From my experience the best pistols that most of my gun buddies carry are the CZ-82 or he Markorav.

And the CZ-82 is a really accurate mother buzzard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey all.

I am back to give a report regarding my recent Hi-Point 9mm C-9. I was excited to finally get it here after 2 weeks of waiting patiently. I took it out for its initial test to see how she did. I was VERY disappointed with the initial results.

I have read several articles/posts/threads/ect... where everyone is raving about the reliability of their Hi-Points. I did not experience any such luck. The gun was jamming all day and the magazine kept sliding out while I was shooting it!!!:eek: I put about 250 rounds through it that day and maybe had two or three 8 round magazines feed correctly and without issue. I was using Remington, Mag Tech, and Winchester ammo to mix it up a bit. The gun did not seem to favor any of them and shooting it was an exercise in frustration to say the least.

After this I decided to call them and complain. The lady on the phone was not rude but also not the nicest lady I have ever spoken to. Anyway, after she gets done verbally bashing Winchester ammunition she proceeds to tell me that it sounds like the magazine catch is the problem and that I should be receiving the new parts in the mail shortly, and when I do just call back and they will connect me to a tech to walk me though the simple process of fixing my own gun myself.:rolleyes:

The parts arrived a few days later and I decided to try to fix my pistol. I took it apart (removed the grips) and decided that I had better call the tech support and have them walk me through the process. I call them up and get another not-so-friendly representative (not rude, just not very "customer service" oriented) I then explain to her my situation and she transferred my call.

I get on the phone with the tech guy and start telling him about my experiences with the Hi-Point pistol thus far. He also begins bashing Winchester ammunition with a passion. After that I ask him to explain to me how to put my pistol back together. He was definitely what I would consider rude, unhelpful, and NOT the kind of person I was hoping to get on the phone. He starts telling me how to put the gun back together in a rather annoyed sounding tone. As if I work at the factory and should already know how to do it. Then about half way through the process (after I had already put the right grip back on) I ask about a piece that was still laying there. He then sounds even MORE pissed and proceeds to tell me that it goes on UNDER the right grip!!!! He forgot to even mention it!!!! :eek:

So most of this phone call (to a NON toll free number) was me trying to figure out this re-assembly while he is on the other end just sounding pissed that he has to be at work.

After following the "instructions" I got off the line and finished up the other side. To my dismay, it was still NOT working properly. The magazine would slide in and out without locking in place. I call back a THIRD time and ask for the tech guy again. I explain to him the situation and he tells me the same (incorrect) instructions as the last guy.

Finally I had enough and decided to go back to the gun shop where I had purchased the pistol as the owner is super cool and I figured he would lend me a hand.

I went there and he asked me to give him all of the pieces and show him what I had done (take it apart and put it back together as I was instructed by the tech guys)

I did and he starts looking at it and seeing if he can figure out the problem. Well he does and shows me the issue. It was a little bent wire with a hook deal on the end. It needed to be anchored into a hole on TOP of another part they had sent me. (both tech guys said UNDER that part)

I finally get it back together and the magazine is now firmly locking into place. I am thinking I am now good to go. I once again grab the 3 different types of 9mm ammo available and head for the range.

I again ran about 250 rounds through the gun. Once again my gun was jamming like Aerosmith during the 70's. This time, however, I was having a LITTLE better luck with proper feeding and actually had about 5 or 6 magazines in a row feed properly. All of them loaded with one brand of ammo, then the next, then the next.......but still though.....the rate of issues and jamming is still WAY too high to make me consider this a reliable pistol for ANY purpose. Their customer service and tech people are NOT very friendly, NOT very helpful, and I can NOT recommend a Hi-Point to anybody.:(

Sorry for the extremely long post and rant. I am just not very happy at all and wanted to explain my story to some people who actually have an interest in what I have to say.. Thank you all for reading and good luck with your purchases. I also want to add that this was my first pistol (and second gun) purchase ever.

Disappointing to say the least...

·
Registered
50 Posts
cheap pistols

thanks for the good info on cheap pistols sarge. i have quality pistols made by colt/ruger/smith that i can shoot over and over for proficiency. these pistols hovever are too bulky for hot summer fl attire of t-shirt, surf shorts, and flip flops. a cheap pocket pistol that will hold up after maybe 25 rounds of familurization, then maybe someday save my life is sufficient. i have no need to fire this pocket gun frequently. my situation may not apply to others, as each weapon/person/and situation is different. i've noted your suggestions and will investigate. thanks, jeff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
beretta .25

sarge, a buddy has a beretta .25 that he claims is not reliable. have you owned or shot one? i have read some of your posts about pocket guns, and i'm in the market for one. thanks for your opinion. jeff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was looking for a inexpensive pistol, not a cheap one, and I came across my new found friend, my P11 from kel-tec. When I first purchased it I paid $250 for it new, now if you go and buy one it will run you around $350+ all your taxes. Now I havn't heard too many people mention these, but I am a fan. I would recommend the PF-3 or the P-11. The PF-3 is slimmer and has a more combat weapon feel. Very sweet. But I like my P-11.

Not flaming about the cheap, just learned along the way not to buy cheap they fall apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Good luck with my Beretta

sarge, a buddy has a beretta .25 that he claims is not reliable. have you owned or shot one? i have read some of your posts about pocket guns, and i'm in the market for one. thanks for your opinion. jeff.
No flame, or anything else negative here, jeff. I have had good service with my Beretta 3032 TomCat. 4-500 rounds-very rarely FTF/FTE-fits in my back pocket, ands rides with me 24/7 outside the house. NOT a Rino killer by any means, but stuck in someones ear, would definitely change their attitude. I keep Federal Hydra Shocks (60gr. I think) in it, and I feel I have my [email protected]@ covered when a larger weapon is not practical.:p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was looking for a inexpensive pistol, not a cheap one, and I came across my new found friend, my P11 from kel-tec. When I first purchased it I paid $250 for it new, now if you go and buy one it will run you around $350+ all your taxes. Now I havn't heard too many people mention these, but I am a fan. I would recommend the PF-3 or the P-11. The PF-3 is slimmer and has a more combat weapon feel. Very sweet. But I like my P-11.

Not flaming about the cheap, just learned along the way not to buy cheap they fall apart.
Kel-Tec make good pistols. I have PF-9 and my wife carries a P32. When I got my PF-9 I wasn't sure what to expect but I have to say , its reliable and the more I shoot it the more I like and the better it gets. They don't make a PF-3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is for the people on this forum that may not have hardly any money to spare for buying a pistol. A growing number of people these days cannot save enough money to purchase a nice, main-stream weapon like the Glock, Ruger, Kimber, Beretta, Smith and Wesson, etc., you will see on the market.

I am in no way saying these pistols are anywhere near top of the line, but I am just providing a reference for someone to use to try and research cheaper firearms if they are in a bad financial situation. Pretty much all of these firearms you will see are under 200 dollars.

In the world of defense, it's better to have something than nothing.

Please no flaming, and keep all posts related to the topic and informative/helpful to people who may need help with purchasing a cheap firearm.

Cobra Industries .380 caliber ($125.00 - $150.00)

Jimenez .380 Caliber ($100.00 - $130.00)

Jennings/Bryco .380 Caliber ($100.00-$150.00)

Hi-Point .380 Caliber ($90.00-$120.00)

Keep in mind that prices will vary depending on your specific area. I just used the caliber .380 as a basic reference. Most of these pistols may be purchased in different calibers ranging from .22 Long Rifle up to 9mm Luger.

Remember, the quality of these pistols vary. These pistols are not meant to be shot excessively. They are meant for very basic personal defense against harm.
hey i need to know how much u will sell a 9mm luger for?

·
Banned
6,261 Posts
hey i need to know how much u will sell a 9mm luger for?
These posts are firearms you can GO GET, not that are for sale by members.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you want a truly inexpensive pistol which is also cheap to shoot I recommend the Phoenix Arms HP22 (22 long rifle). We have tested this pistol extensively and shot hundreds of round through them with excellent results. They seem to eat almost everything you put through them. Very reliable and built in the USA. I have seen them as low as $130.00.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you want a truly inexpensive pistol which is also cheap to shoot I recommend the Phoenix Arms HP22 (22 long rifle). We have tested this pistol extensively and shot hundreds of round through them with excellent results. They seem to eat almost everything you put through them. Very reliable and built in the USA. I have seen them as low as $130.00.

+1

I'm up to 1000 rounds through mine and it seems to just get better each time out. The safety system is a bit stupid, but easily remedied. Tear down is as simple as they come. And aside from some slight wearing away of the finish on the slide it still looks nearly new. And it's small enough you can carry it in your pocket and no one can tell it's there. Unfortunately I think the company went out of business, so no customer support and the "lifetime" warranty is therefore meaningless. Oh, and if you can find one you can swap to the 5" barrel in about 10 seconds. Fun little toy that you can shoot literally all day for $25.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am very happy with my HiPoint. It works like a fine clock. Just a keeps on tickin.
But it is not very ergonomic.

I also see you posted the Astra. I Have two Astra A100 in 9mm. Bought my first one days before the Clinton AWB and it was over 500 due to the Hi Capacity magazines. At the time here in Saint Louis any pistol that held more than 10 rounds was going at a premium. Caliber did not matter.

I bought the second one about 4 years ago and the price was down to just over 250.00
They are great guns and I would not hesitate to buy one in 45acp if I could find one in a realistic price range. But all the used ones I find are just short of 600 and you cant get new mags for these guns. Or at least I have not been able to find any.
Good thing is. I have never had any trouble out of either one of mine in all the many thousands of rounds I have fired.

·
Registered
424 Posts
+1

I'm up to 1000 rounds through mine and it seems to just get better each time out. The safety system is a bit stupid, but easily remedied. Tear down is as simple as they come. And aside from some slight wearing away of the finish on the slide it still looks nearly new. And it's small enough you can carry it in your pocket and no one can tell it's there. Unfortunately I think the company went out of business, so no customer support and the "lifetime" warranty is therefore meaningless. Oh, and if you can find one you can swap to the 5" barrel in about 10 seconds. Fun little toy that you can shoot literally all day for $25.
Phoenix arms is not out of business. They produce pistols daily.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm I have no idea how accurate this statement is but I hope it isn't very accurate .

While I have no idea about these guns because I have never fired much less owned one and I imagine that they would see very limited use they should be built to a quality standard that allows at the least thousands of rounds without any kind of significant failure of the design .

HiPoint has a 100% warranty on all their products. And there are reports at the HPFF and HPT forums that members there have fired many thousands of rounds and never had failure and most are not even cleaning their pistols. Many people buy these guns to see how many rounds it will take to stop the gun for lack of cleaning and finding that it takes a long time.

To knowingly build a product thats inferior in it's basic design to the point the physical structure may fail is not only irresponsible but should be criminal .

While it is very doubtful that many people try to become proficient in using a firearm with one of these it should be strong enough to survive the rigors of it should the owner endeavor to do so .

As a personal choice I would rather if on a very tight budget and needed a gun choose a used and perhaps lesser powered yet reliable weapon as a 38 ,32 or 22 caliber revolver from a reasonably reputable maker like Harrington & Richardson , Rossi or even Llama and Astra .

As I have had less than desirable experiences with Taurus I would not recommend Rossi. The original Rossi Corp no longer makes the Rossi lineup. Taurus makes all their guns.
I can only hope that others have not had the trouble I have had with Taurus and lost all the money I have due to the poor woorkmanship and quality control that Taurus used when my two revolvers were made. Two revolvers I no longer own.
Astras in my experience are very good guns and well worth looking at.
Just a quick response.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the hi-point in .40 worked great... no problems with it..went bang every time

however I cant say good things about the Jennings ...those are made in the "Bryco" factory which was bankrupted from a lawsuit..

i picked up my brand new Springfield XD-9 subcompact for 420.00$ (not that much money for a quality firearm)
came with 2 mags, speedloader, holster and mag holster

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would check into a smith and wesson sigma. Used they retail for 200 bucks. You can get them in any cal. They are known to be very reliable. Some police depts were carrying them for awhile. I had one in 40 cal. It was very reliable, and accurate. The trigger was no walk in the park, but I have read threads on other sites detailing how to rework the trigger to a six to seven pound pull. If I had known that at the time, I would not have gotten rid of mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is for the people on this forum that may not have hardly any money to spare for buying a pistol. A growing number of people these days cannot save enough money to purchase a nice, main-stream weapon like the Glock, Ruger, Kimber, Beretta, Smith and Wesson, etc., you will see on the market.

I am in no way saying these pistols are anywhere near top of the line, but I am just providing a reference for someone to use to try and research cheaper firearms if they are in a bad financial situation. Pretty much all of these firearms you will see are under 200 dollars.

In the world of defense, it's better to have something than nothing.

Please no flaming, and keep all posts related to the topic and informative/helpful to people who may need help with purchasing a cheap firearm.

Cobra Industries .380 caliber ($125.00 - $150.00)

Jimenez .380 Caliber ($100.00 - $130.00)

Jennings/Bryco .380 Caliber ($100.00-$150.00)

Hi-Point .380 Caliber ($90.00-$120.00)

Keep in mind that prices will vary depending on your specific area. I just used the caliber .380 as a basic reference. Most of these pistols may be purchased in different calibers ranging from .22 Long Rifle up to 9mm Luger.

Remember, the quality of these pistols vary. These pistols are not meant to be shot excessively. They are meant for very basic personal defense against harm.
I was looking for an inexpensive 22 pistol for rabbit hunting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i'm sorry to say that i am not knowledgable about rabbit hunting mr. mike. however i spent a lot of time researching cheap .22 pistols. i finally bought a new taurus p-22 for $200. it is made in miami fl, with a lifetime warranty. i know the phoenix hp-22 costs less. but i handled one in a gun store and did not like the multiple safety setup and other things. the owners manual for taurus specified using .22lr with 40 gr bullets. they are right. i tried a variety of .22 rounds, and anything less than 40 gr is unreliable. both federal and winchester 40 gr high velocity rounds work flawlessly. if you had more money, ruger makes a .22lr pistol that i have heard very nice things about. i do have a nice ruger 10-22 rifle that would maybe be a nice rabbit gun. but i am just trowing ideas around. your post mentioned a cheap .22 pistol and the cheapest one that met my expectations was a taurus. jeff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a few top quality handguns(just my opinion), but my daily carry is a S&W Sigma. New or used they carry a lifetime warranty and S&W Customer Service is tops IMHO (YMMV).
Complaints about the trigger should be handled by the factory unless you are so inclined/qualifed to do it yourself. I don't want to go thru the 'trigger thing' as it is not the main topic of this thread.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts