Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Most of the guns shown are brand new guns. Keep in mind that very reasonable prices can be found for used guns, especially the non-collectible (If any) Colt and S&W revolvers. These can be found in pawn shops, yard sales, or newspaper ads at prices around $100~$200 dollar range. Even badly worn Colt or S&W guns can be made servicable with parts replacements. Parts are usually available from Gun Parts Corp. And the older revolvers so simple to repair, a cave man can do it.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought Hi point C-9

Just bought a C-9 what should i expect? I know it's a lower end pistol but read alot of good about it. Article in mag said that it was a good piece...I intend to do alot of target shooting.....

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Just bought a C-9 what should i expect? I know it's a lower end pistol but read alot of good about it. Article in mag said that it was a good piece...I intend to do alot of target shooting.....
I doubt you'll have any problem with a Hi Point.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It is odd timing that I noticed this thread today. I ordered a Hi-point 9mm 2 weeks ago and due to it being back ordered I finally received it today. :)

I am really excited about getting it out and running some rounds through it. I bought some Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ, Remington UMC jacketed hollow point, and some Magtech 115 gr FMC. I wanted to get a bit of an assortment to see what the gun liked to eat the best. I am hoping it's the Winchester to be honest as it is the cheapest to purchase.

I am not sure when I will finally get out with it but as soon as I do I will come back and let you all know what I think of it.

Thanks for reading and GREAT thread topic.....especially these days.:p

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had very good luck with Astras over the years. I have 3 of them right now, a 9mm A-100, and two A-75's, a .40S&W and a 9mm. I had an A-80 about 20 years ago, and put several thousand rounds through it, with no problems. I haven't shot the 9mm A-75 yet, but the .40 one eats everything I put in it, without a hitch, so does the A-100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hades I would recommend someone buying a Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez, or Cobra. I've owned one and fired a couple of the others and they are more of a liability to the shooter than they are to the assailant.

The Jennings I had jammed every shot. I send it off to a smith for a fix... When it came back I pulled the trigger and it fired full auto. Thank God I was in the desert... Try explaining that to a range officer. The others are same design, same cheap materials, same flaws. In the end, my conscience wouldn't let me sell it to some unsuspecting noob... I hacksawed the gun in half and pitched it in the garbage.

The only one on that list I WOULD recommend would be the Hi-Point. Ugly as sin, but the thing goes bang every time you pull the trigger, and, at a VERY affordable price. That, or cough up an extra hundred bucks and get a used gun on Gunbroker. You can EASILY get an excellent used Glock or Smith for under $400.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
After researching a little more on the little auto pistols from the "ring of fire" folks, I agree with that last post. Stick with something from manufacturers like Hi-Point and whatnot.

I will say that getting a nice derringer is a good option. They only hold 2 rounds, and are nothing compared to having a revolver or auto for defense, BUT they will do the job and the simplistic design is good for the novice firearm owners out there.

(I am only saying this because I just got a little .22LR derringer for only 55 dollars at a local pawn shop. Add the additional 9 dollars for a box of over 300 Winchester .22LR rounds, and you've got a pistol, and plenty of ammunition for practice and defense for only 64 dollars. With cheap finds like that, there is almost no excuse for not being armed.:D)

·
Banned
441 Posts
Tokarev TT30/33 in 7.62 mm (Type P), flat and very consealable, reliable, kick arse round and cheap to boot...............:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I will add something about Hi-Point firearms that I feel is a little concerning to me.

I am wondering what the possibility of an accidental discharge during clearing is? Since the firing pin acts as the extractor, I am thinking that a possibility of striking the primer on a live round during weapons clearing is there. The chamber would be open when the round would go off (i.e. slide would be back when the firing pin could possibly strike the primer of the round), it could be deadly to the holder of the weapon.

It's just something I was thinking about, and figured maybe I should put it out here on this forum to just feedback. I no longer own any Hi-Points, but for any owners out there, this may be a useful piece of info.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I will add something about Hi-Point firearms that I feel is a little concerning to me.

I am wondering what the possibility of an accidental discharge during clearing is? Since the firing pin acts as the extractor, I am thinking that a possibility of striking the primer on a live round during weapons clearing is there. The chamber would be open when the round would go off (i.e. slide would be back when the firing pin could possibly strike the primer of the round), it could be deadly to the holder of the weapon.

It's just something I was thinking about, and figured maybe I should put it out here on this forum to just feedback. I no longer own any Hi-Points, but for any owners out there, this may be a useful piece of info.
Other than the ugly, the bumped primer is the only thing about the pistol that bugs me. I've never had a round go off while I've been clearing it, but every live round that you jack through the thing will have a striker mark on it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It would seem that it's basically like a small bomb waiting to go off.

I don't think I'll ever purchase any other Hi-Points just because I don't want to feel like I'm playing the percentages every time I may have to clear live rounds out of the pistol.

Hi-Points are really reliable for the money, but after thinking about the firing pin issue, I think it may be a little unsafe (Hi-Point Manufacturer should be able to change the design to make it safer without having to raise the price that much).

Could be a lawsuit waiting to happen............:(

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It would seem that it's basically like a small bomb waiting to go off.

I don't think I'll ever purchase any other Hi-Points just because I don't want to feel like I'm playing the percentages every time I may have to clear live rounds out of the pistol.

Hi-Points are really reliable for the money, but after thinking about the firing pin issue, I think it may be a little unsafe (Hi-Point Manufacturer should be able to change the design to make it safer without having to raise the price that much).

Could be a lawsuit waiting to happen............:(
What's the worst thing that you've seen happen to ammo in your military career? Have you ever worked with explosives?

It looks creepy to see the dent on the primer, but you've got to whack them a lot harder than they're getting tapped in the extraction process to get them to go off.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've seen alot in my military career, but all I'm sayin is it just takes once.......:(.

There's always that chance that maybe there will be enough force put on that primer to touch it off.

I try my best to play it safe in the world of firearms. I'm just sayin that this issue concerns me, and everyone is different.

Realistically, the chance is very, very small that a discharge would happen, but the design is just starting to rub me the wrong way, so I choose not to purchase any of the Hi-Points any more.

I also wonder if making the firing pin play double duty just puts undue wear and tear on it?

I still maintain that the pistol is a very reliable gun for the money. Much better than the guns made by the "ring of fire" folks, at least....lol.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've seen alot in my military career, but all I'm sayin is it just takes once.......:(.

There's always that chance that maybe there will be enough force put on that primer to touch it off.

I try my best to play it safe in the world of firearms. I'm just sayin that this issue concerns me, and everyone is different.

Realistically, the chance is very, very small that a discharge would happen, but the design is just starting to rub me the wrong way, so I choose not to purchase any of the Hi-Points any more.

I also wonder if making the firing pin play double duty just puts undue wear and tear on it?

I still maintain that the pistol is a very reliable gun for the money. Much better than the guns made by the "ring of fire" folks, at least....lol.
Oh, I see how it is, you finally get a 1911 and become a gun snob, huh? :D

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nah....lol. I will gladly buy another Hi-Point (If they fix the extractor/firing pin issue).

Besides, I don't think owning an RIA 1911 would get me into the "gun snob" ranks.

I would need to drop some more bills to get a Kimber, or Nighthawk, HK, Glock, etc......

:D

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Probably getting a Hi Point 9mm in the near future, simply because I don't have a 9mm and the ammo is cheap.

+1 on the Ring of Fire pistols. Had a Davis (later to become Cobra) .380 that basically snapped in half at the range. Turns out it was manufactured using some pot metal alloy. The slide was cracked in half, the rear portion canted up and pointing at my eye. This was with standard WWB ball. Had it been the +p SD rounds the guy at the shop was reccomending, I'd be Blinky Benning Boy.

Saw a derringer from one of these companies at a shop, a customer asked to see it, and the safety fell out. From handling it.

For me, it's not an issue of snobbery, a gun can look like a donkey's external genetalia for all I care, as long as it's reliable. But pulling a gun is the largest decision you can make in life, and if conditions require that you do, you'd better be sure that it will do what it's supposed to.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Here's some other pics of some decent quality firearms for the budget-minded individual out there:

ROSSI REVOLVER

BERETTA .22/.25 AUTOMATIC

CZ PISTOL

MAKAROV PISTOL

EDIT: I just realized that this thread already has pictures of these firearms. Oh well....lol. At least here's some more pretty pics to look at....lol.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts