inexpensive upper?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by snapdragon75, Oct 15, 2013.

1. snapdragon75

snapdragon75 New Member

Does anyone know where to find an inexpensive chrome line barrel AR upper?

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

3. snapdragon75

snapdragon75 New Member

4. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

You're very welcome. You might also want to check out; http://www.dsarms.com/

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The DPMS and DSA barrels may not be chrome lined. They state Chrome moly and a couple of the DPMS specs specifically stated no chrome lining. Gotta be careful when doing a search for chrome, if you are looking for chrome lined. Chrome moly just means it isn't a stainless steel barrel, no lining.

6. hq357

hq357 New Member

Psa pametto state armory sells uppers made by the same company as colt

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

source or links for that. because if i'm not mistaken, Colt makes their own uppers.

OP, check out Brownell's for uppers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. SSGN_Doc

Colt may use the same source PSA uses for their forgings for their uppers. That's not unusual, since most receivers for all ARs come from only a few Forge houses and Colt uses several sources.

9. snapdragon75

snapdragon75 New Member

I'll look them up thank you fellas

10. hq357

hq357 New Member

Psa has stated before all of their chrome lined barrels hammer forged or not are made by FN so i would go with that as a complete upper and to axxe i did a little research CMT continental machine tool company makes thousands of receivers and parts and are contracted by different firearms companies, colt and psa are some of them.

11. SSGN_Doc

And Colt has also used Cerro Forge, Anchor Harvey, etc. CMT is the parent company for Stag, as well.

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

If you can't find a chrome lined barrel, look for a salt bath nitrate barrel. They say these are better then chrome line barrels and more accurate.

13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Is it really worth more to have a crome lined barrel?

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Also check out melonite barrels chrome lined barrels are said to have less accuracy with melonite you wont have that problem and its supposed to be able to handle corrosive ammo better and extends the barrel life check out smith and wesson m&p ar15 uppers if your looking for an awesome complete ar15 for under 700$ check out the m&p 15 sport! the bolt carrier group the bcg is magnetic part tested same process as colt and has everything you need for 700$

15. longunner

longunner New Member

Somebody that knows more about this may or may not correct me but I'm pretty sure chrome lined barrels will have a longer lifespan in terms of round count but they won't have match grade accuracy.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

okay, it may be they just do the final machining of the recievers.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im not at justice to say what manufacturer uses DSArms and a few others to finish forgings but its a big name that does military contracts :)

19. SSGN_Doc

General Motors? One of the M16s on my last sub had a GM receiver.

20. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

If you're in the $500 price range (as a previous post suggested) you can even get yourself a stripped down BCM they're about $540they come assembled just no handguards slap a magpul moe on for another $25 and you're GTG and BCM is no joke