inexpensive optics

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Mikeyv98, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Mikeyv98

Mikeyv98 New Member

Ive been using a tru-glo red dot on my AR and it works great for $40

2. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I was reading in one of my gun magazines a review on some optics. Some scope came up and the author said" I usually don't trust scopes under $1000 dollars, but I like this one so I bought 5" I thought that was a little extreme.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I've never spent more then 200 for optics and mine work fine.

Got a Simmons 3-9x40 mm scope on my savage .22. It looks huge on top of the rifle but works great for squirrel hunting. I think I paid 140 for it like 6 years ago.

Got an NcStar holographic sight with red and green and four reticle options. It's co-witnessed on my Ar15 along with an NcStar AR scope on the carry handle. Holo was 79 and the scope was 50.

4. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Nikon Pro staff is always a crowd pleaser in the under 200 catagory!!

5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I have a cheap BSA scope on my Romanian PSL & it handles the recoil of that gun just fine.
    [​IMG]
    This scope cost me about $160 at a gun show so I'm not really out anything if I break it.
    I have had it on this heavy recoil gun for about 4 years now.
    http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=65
    There are some scopes that are junk but I think the reason some shooters give inexpensive scopes a bad rap is they try to go too cheap.
    They will pick up a air gun scope to put on there .22 & start *****ing when it breaks.
    They need to realize that air guns recoil forward not backward like all firearms, that recoil going the wrong direction will tear a scope apart.
    I had a buddy buy a .22 scope & put it on his high power air rifle & didn't understand why it fell apart.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I put one of these on my Mossberg Plinkster, got it bore sighted. Need to get to the range this weekend.

7. RustyShackleford101

I've got to tell you, that is a gorgeous gun.

8. Mikeyv98

Mikeyv98 New Member

Ive looked at aimpoint, eotech and other high end optics and for over $350. My tru glo offers same features as aimpoint and it only cost $40 ive shot over a 1000 rounds on my AR and its still spot on.

ForumRunner_20120823_084018.jpg

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've owned a dozen or more cheap optics over the years.

Bitterly regretted wasting my money on every single one of them.:(

Old Italian proverb: "Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get.":D

10. assualtready070

assualtready070 New Member

I also have a Tru-Glo red dot sight, mine is the 2x42mm I got it for around $70.00. I only have 200 or so round with it on and so far it holds zero and it doesn't shake loose. For the Price I am very happy with if, and the quality is surprisingly good for the price.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

"They will pick up a air gun scope to put on there .22 & start *****ing when it breaks.
    They need to realize that air guns recoil forward not backward like all firearms, that recoil going the wrong direction will tear a scope apart.
    I had a buddy buy a .22 scope & put it on his high power air rifle & didn't understand why it fell apart."
    A good air rifle scope is built a lot tougher than a rim fire scope and are usually rated for both. I use them on 22lr and have never had a problem. They are especially good on semi auto rim fires. You are right about not using a rim fire scope or a center fire scope on a spring air rifle. Compressed air rifles are different animal though and dont have the same recoil as the spring air guns. Semi auto center fire rifles are also hard on scopes. The semi autos have the extra shock of the bolt slamming into battery. I have broken a couple of cheaper ones on my AR and now use a scope that was designed for the AR. I never buy a regular scope that does not have a lifetime warranty. If the mfg does not think it is capable of holding up, neither do I.
    Because of the electronics a lot of red dot scopes dont have lifetime warranties. One of the best inexpensive red dots I have found is the Bushnell TRS25. 3000 hr battery life and a 3 moa dot.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I think you had better recheck your features , 5 moa dot vs a 2 moa dot, 3 years of constant on with the aimpoint , the tru glow will not do that . maybe 30 days at most , aimpoint water proof to 150 ft , tru glow ?? but Im guessing very little if any submerging at all . Night vision mode . Aimpoint yes, tru glo no,
    adjustments of aimpoint 1/2" click vs tru glo 1" clicks . Parallax is very different .
    I dont own either of these but you cannot cannot say that it offers the same features , cheaper yes, works yes, but to try to comare it to a high end RDS , No way

13. dualspringfields

dualspringfields New Member

Totally agree

14. dualspringfields

I like Nikon Buckmaster scopes for a magnified optic. I had an IOR 4.5X14 once spent big money for it. Yes it was an awesome scope. Glass was super clear the MP8 reticle was awesome too. But when i compared it to the Nikon I couldn't justify not selling it and buying another Nikon and ammo. For a red dot i have Aimpoints. I have BSA's crap out on me too many times.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont have super high end scopes , but I have what I consider them adequate for my usage.
    A schmidt and bender or a night force scope is out of my price range for my needs . I have a damn nice Nikon African 1-4 thats super super clear and works perfect for my needs , vortex red dots that are perfect for my needs , dont get me wrong I would love to have a aimpoint but I dont need a optic thats waterproof to 150 ft depth , the vortex is WP to 50 ft and if its in 50 ft depth of water Its probably going to be gone forever if you know what I mean , hell we dont even have many places around here deeper than 20 ft . lol , I have a older Bushnell Trophy 3-9 thats been abused on alot on different guns and it still holds zero and for what it costed its way over built compared to the new trophy XLT's . My bolt gun has a decent mil dot Bushnell banner on it , its not as clear as my Nikon or the Trophy but it works for my needs as I only get it out for long distance fun with the guys and coyote hunting a few times a yr . Every single one of these have great reviews and a lifetime warranty which I hope I never need . Get what you can afford that give you the best warranty you can get . Just because it looks cool on the gun doesnt make it function any better especially if you buy some china made POS that peters out in a couple weeks and you realized you just pissed away that money

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. dualspringfields

That's what i was saying about the IOR scope. Was it nice? Yes very nice. But for my needs the Nikon was just as good. And a hell of a lot cheaper.:) Vortex makes good stuff too. I have a friend that has one of their red dot optics and its good to go. The reason I myself went with Aimpoints was the battery life and ruggedness. The battery life is unreal. Yes they cost more and i had to save up for them. Neither are their top models one is a C3 and the other is the PRO.

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have been looking at a Aimpoint PRO , it really is a bargain for what you get . one of these days Im going to leave my vortex on and see how long that battery lasts , Im 100% sure it will never go 3 yrs but hell I would be happy enough to leave it on all the time if it would go a year on a $4 battery

18. RustyShackleford101

Speaking of cheap optics, my lack hook and bullet store has a " special". For 25 dollars you can have a scope that looks beyond cheap, and has no markings, and a pair of aluminum rings that look like they were manufactured in the 1970's. that seems like trouble just waiting to happen.

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Amen nuthin worse than crap optics.

20. ddmpi

ddmpi New Member

Bought this same Tru-Glo scope on line at Gander Mountain back in December for $29.95 with free shipping and have used it three times on my AR and love it. Can't beat price for what it is.