Inexpensive handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by old fart, Mar 20, 2014.

1. old fart

old fart Member

I am in need of a handgun, I have a 12 gauge home defense shotgun but need something to carry around while at my home and taking walks in the woods or just down the road. I don't need to conceal it, even tho I can while on my property without a permit, I'll be open carrying most times. the gun has to be $300 or less, I don't have anymore to put with it. saving is done for a while so please just let me know of anything that is decent for that price. i prefer a revolver but can't be picky at this point on an auto or derringer. any caliber from 22 and up, thanks for any help

2. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Check out the ruger LCR (LCP?) line of pistols. Stay away from the smith and wesson .380 bodyguard, the gun is a piece of crap. Ketlec is a bit furry, some people like them and others sell them as soon as they shoot them. Really your price range should go to at least $600 for a GOOD firearm that will go boom but the ruger LCP line of handguns is a good place to get started. You can score a good firearm from them for $200-$350

Never go for an off brand, when it comes to your life, you NEED the best of the best, good luck!

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Hi Old fart. I've been carrying the CZ82 for a little better than 2 years. I am very pleased with it. They can still be had for under $300.
    Ya might find a used Bersa Thunder for under $300

4. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I highly recommend the Bersa thunder series and their sub compact 9mm, although that gun is around $600!

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't own either but Taurus and Rossi both build revolvers in that price range. And Hi Points are around 150 bucks. I own one and have never had any trouble with it. They are heavy and ugly but when you point it and pull the trigger it goes bang. And it is pretty accurate.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Rock Island Armory makes an inexpensive 38 spl revolver with a 4" barrel. If you look for police trade ins you can find a S&W model 10 for under $300. Last but not least there is the under appreciated Hi Point semi auto pistols.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Hmmm. You prefer revolvers and are on a tight budget.

My preference is .357 Magnum. That caliber will give you plenty of versatility. You can also shoot .38 Specials out of it.

In terms of brand. In that price range you're looking at Charter Arms, EAA, Rexio, Rossi, Taurus.

I have no experience with any of those brands for revolvers.

I can tell you what I've heard but I tend to not put much stock in what people have "heard," so I'll spare you.

Not talking about their customer service as I can't quantify any of that, but here's how their warranties stack up. To me, with a gun in this price range, the warranty would largely be the deciding factor:

Charter - lifetime
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/pages/warranty_reg.asp

EAA - Warranty only valid for original purchaser
    http://eaacorp.com/faq/

Rexio - ???
    http://www.rexioarms.com.ar/

Rossi (under contract with Taurus) - lifetime
    http://www.rossiusa.com/repair-policy.cfm

Taurus - lifetime, follows GUN, not purchaser.
    http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

S&W SD9ve or the SD40ve. Very vanilla gun, but it's one you can trust with your life. You can probably get it for $350 otd, but is your life worth $50??

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. old fart

old fart Member

i thank everyone for ya'lls advice, and i would spend more on one if i could. on a fixed income and with bills there is no way i can go over $300, i do have an extra $50 but i was gonna get ammo with it. thanks

10. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

look for a used Ruger P series...it can be had for that kind of money, and they are rock solid

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

S&W SD9VE. I've heard good things about them. $291

I have the older version (SW40VE) in 40S&W. It's a good gun. It takes time to get use to that long heavy trigger though. You can make it much nicer if you want to though with an apex trigger kit. They are about $20-$30.

http://www.blucoreshootingcenter.com/p-71198-smith-wesson-sd9ve-9mm-16rd-4-dt-fs-2mags.aspx

It would most likely eat up most or maybe all of that extra $50 though due to shipping and FFL fees. You might have enough left over though for some cheap bulk ammo (Winchester white box).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The P series pistols are not going very cheap. I made one phone call and sold my stainless P95 for $400. Finding a new P95 right now is a PITA. All stores are stocking is the SR series.

I don't see why the SR series is so popular. They are a Glock clone. I recently bought a Glock. I didn't even consider the clones. Why buy a clone when you can buy perfection?

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Old Fart, start checking out the gun stores and pawn shops for used pistols. sometimes you can even find barely used pistols at a huge discount over buying the same one new. many times they are much more willing to make better deals on used pistols if a person has cash money in hand.

i have bought many pistols used over the years and honestly say i have gotten stung on gun deal a couple of times. there are some good deals to be had on used guns if you search them out.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

JD, they have stopped making the P95 a couple of years ago, so finding a new one is probably going to be hard. the SR series took it's place.

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

JD, I take it you're one of those people that believe a dated design can't be improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. texaswoodworker

Is that a joke?

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Or quite possibly a delusion........

18. texaswoodworker

Yeah, it's one thing to like them, but call them perfect?

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Early in the thread Molonlabexx mentioned the LCP. I'm going to say LC380 or LC9. If you can handle the recoil a smaller 9 will give you, Go for it. My LC9 was $429 2 years ago, but I'm seeing them for $329 and $319 recently. Some versions come with a laser but that's an extra $100-$150 depending. You can add one for less aftermarket when you have extra cash. It will come with 2 mags and a Takedown Tool. The Two-Tone and NRA versions may be a bit more(NRA version has a Camo lower), but you might see one for under $300 lightly used. If the mags don't have the finger grips, have the guy in the store put em on. Oh, the LC9 is 7+1 or 9+1, the LCP is 6+1, the LC380 is 7+1. I would gat at least one Extra mag. ASAP. If you want a gun with a longer then 3" barrel, then a a Used P95 from Ruger, or look for a Used or Surplus Israeli Kareen Hi-Power( their version of the Browning HP9MM. Star, Astra, and even a Llama would be in that range as well. J&G near me here in N.Az has a good selection of used as well as new Guns.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

U can pick up a used ruger p series pistol for around that price. Its a bit bulky but quite managable with a good holster. Excellent pistols. Never had a problem with any of mine